1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding a mod, Finally! *56k*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pez, 1 Nov 2003.

1. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, they look really cool!! Looks like a set of afterburners under your case...

I've seen them being sold on one or two modding sites, but I think it might be more fun to do a DIY mod with some acrylic bar, and then choose what colour you want?!

...but having said that, I just love doing DIY mods anyway :dremel:

2. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

Me likes the feet! Would look gd on ya case :). I am with the DIY, but i just like the satisfaction of doing it myself :p.
    Nice choice on the grills, design will let out a lto of light (as well as a gd amount of air in.) Getting macthing 80mm and 120mm is a bonus! :)

-cLoWn

3. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

LOL...That what I thought. The reflection of those feet look great...like plasma torches.

The case looks good. Clean...Like clean.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2003
  4. Auli

Auli What's a Dremel?

AHA! I've found it now I think!

I suck, really I do at things working with my hands. I'm an old guy compared to most of you, overclocking used to be pulling your 8 mhz clock chip on your 286 and replacing it with a 12 mhz chip for a real SCREAMER :eeek:

Anyway I admire all the mods I see here and I love to read all the logs and just wish I had the skills to do them. But those blue acrylic feet I can do I think.

They would just look awesome holding up my stock Antec Sonata wouldn't they?

I'm looking for elegance here, not flash. Should I try and make some feet like these for the Sonata? Curently its just stock, though when the door is open the bloo (sic) backlit Vantec fan controller looks pretty good too.

Could a 40 year old geezer like me get into modding? :p

Auli

5. Dazbo666

Well I'm not far behind you (in my mid 30's), and I've been addicted to DIY modding for the past 2 years :dremel: :thumb:

I originally did some practice mods on some old case panels that I got hold of... then just got let loose on my own cases, and recently even started getting some orders from some impressionable newbies! Just go for it mate!!

6. Bluebark

Well...I'll be 45 in a couple and I'm just getting started in the computer mod scene. I wouldn’t worry too much about the age factor.

7. Cinco5

Cinco5 What's a Dremel?

Back to the subject of cooling HDD's

I run 2 10K RPM SCSI drives and they get real hot. What I did was bought what is called a mobile rack. It fits in a 5.25 drive bay and gives you a removable and hot-swappable, fan cooled drive. I have them for IDE as well and I am sure they have them for SATA as well.

For doing smaller holes, get yourself a hole saw and you can make perfect circles very quickly. I like the theme of bubbles. I have seen plexiglass tanks that are filled with water and have bubblers in them to have bubbles to rise to the top. I think that backlight by CCFL inside the window would just be sweet.

8. pez

pez What's a Dremel?

I know the mobile rack.. it's a fine, fine gadget. Very handy.
    But since I'm planning on sound-isolating the whole 5.25"-area, the mobile racks would be a bit, well, in the way...
    I've looked on a variety of s.c. "spacers," and I found that this would fill my needs.
    [​IMG]
    The Zalman Heatpipe HDD Cooler.
    It dampens vibrations from the HDD, aswell as cooling it down.

About the hole, I'm not sure what I will use to cut the hole. Maybe an ordinary electric saw, such as the one I used to cut the holes in the side panel... a fine tool, but it requires high precision.
    I'd rather use a Hole saw it's so much easier, but a 120mm hole saw for metal is hard to come by.

Maybe I'll just let the guys at the hardware store make a hole, but in the other hand, that's not nearly as fun and satisfying....

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

nice and simple... i like that, no fuss, no frills, looks class and not too over the top.... very well done

10. Bluebark

A note about the zalman…I looked into this product a lot and you are going to need fans blowing across the heat pipes if you want it to cool well. I was going to get these and mount the to drive upside down so one fan would cool both sets of pipes…just an idea. And for$25 bucks, it can't be beat.

11. pez

pez What's a Dremel?

I reckon the 120 mm Enermax can accumulate enough airflow to keep the disks cool enough.

Im thinking of mounting the discs vertically, so that all disks will have good airflow 'round them..
    BUT I've heard people say that HDD's can take damage when mounted vertically, is that true or just bogus?

12. Dazbo666

I've heard it puts extra stress on the bearings when HDDs are mounted vertically...

But having said that, my 1st PC (a retail system from Gateway) was supplied with a vertically mounted HDD. It was running daily for over two years with no noticeable problems.... and although the PC has been sold/upgraded, the HDD is still being used.

(It's a 20.5Gb 5400rpm Seagate BTW)

13. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

the stress & statics version of the answer is yes, it does put extra stress on the bearings; does it affect the drive? it depends on how well made & how well designed it is

14. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

I worked on a pretty cool acer computer at work the other day that may interest you. The bottom of the side panel had about 300 small holes in them, varying between probably 4 or 5 different sizes. looked very "bubbly" and I wanted to put a cold cathode behind it. ;)

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

i'm pretty sure that HHDs are designed to be used mounted vert or horiz - just not anywhere in between