1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Heathen! BURN THE HEATHEN!

Death of a fan in the week has made me go down the strange and shadowy path of noise reduction :blah:

Pair of Noctua fans an shrouds appearing today to see about killing off the intake noise. See how far the rabbit hole goes so to speak

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

How long should the ban be guys? 17 days, in line with the number of cm on an ITX motherboard?

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It should be 306.36 days, or in other words the difference in square centimetres between the area of an uATX board and an mITX one :D

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

:D

He should be taxed per slot :D

5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Wonder if someone can help me find a case?

I want to use an mITX board for a 7700k build but Ive got a couple of restrictions that seem to be stopping me from finding a nice (pretty, or at least not ugly) case. I need the case to be able to fit 2x SSD, 2x HDD, a 240mm AIO cooler and a 1070...

At the moment it looks as if im going to have to give in and use a mATX case - Air 240. Do any of you good people know of a good looking mITX case that I can fit all of my stuff in?

Trawling through the usual web stores hasn't served me up a dollop of inspiration as yet!

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Enthoo Evolv, Define Nano S, Corsair Obsidian 250D?

If you are willing to spend the money, you could of course get the best case for your requirements, which would be the NCase M1

Toka likes this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The clue is in my sig - to be explained fully later.

8. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Oh I want to hug you. I'll happily compromise on rad size for case awesomeness and that ncase really is awesome. Perhaps if I just forget to check the price when ordering?

9. David

Arise thread, long since dead etc....

So, my ncase m1 arrived today and I've just spent three and a half hours shoe-horning my test rig in there, along with my 1080Ti - didn't see the point in sticking one of the 1070s in there, because I wanted to check operating temps, and the i5-8400 runs about the same temp as my 7700K. It looks frikkin lovely, and 15 minutes of Superposition produced highs of 76 and 51 degrees on the GPU and CPU, respectively.

Not played with fan curves or anything yet, but it's only around two feet away and it isn't very loud or intrusive at idle - I game with headphones on, so the 1080Ti spinning up under heavy load isn't an issue. It really does look nice though.

I have the CPU cooled by a Silverstone TD02-Slim 240mm AIO and I have a quiet Noctua 120mm fan feeding air directly to the Founders Edition blower on the 1080Ti. Very impressed so far, but I do have a growing desire to spend a small fortune creating custom length PSU cables.

Did I mention it looks ****ing awesome?

I know, I know, you can't see it - I'll throw up some pics after I've tidied up... tomorrow.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2019
    edzieba, The_Crapman, Goatee and 3 others like this.
  10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Glad to see another person to see the light of mitx glory for daily builds :D

Haven't touched my daily for a while now, but if I were, might be tempted by the asrock z390 mitx.

Arboreal likes this.
  11. David

Piccies:

The weird aliasing effect across the top of the case in the photos is due to the vertical blinds against the window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm ordering a different AIO. As you can see, the pump block fittings push against the RAM. Every works fine, I just don't like it.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2019
    adidan and bawjaws like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Purdy dat case.

What are the temps like D?

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Very nice indeed, @David ! Which AIO have you gone for to replace whatever's in there just now? I have to say that having the fittings push the nearside RAM stick over like that would properly trigger me, so I'd be swapping that AIO out too :)

What GPU is that you have in there, and do you notice much difference from having that fan (presumably an intake?) on the case floor? And are the fans on your AIO acting as intakes (I'm assuming so given you've got the dust filter in place)?

Finally, hope you didn't put your back out lifting the box up. Super heavy, isn't it? :D

14. David

I'll find out shortly - I've just de-lidded and re-timmed the CPU :)

15. David

That's what I'm looking into right now. The AIO in there is a bit long in the tooth - I was just hoping to save some money because I had it to hand, but the pump is audibly buzzing. Me no likey.

I do have a Noctua NH-U9S with dual fans, which is supposed to be a pretty good fit for for M1 builds, so I might just throw that in there for the time being .
    The GPU is a 1080Ti FE - I haven't tried it without the fan feeding air to it, but I saw a review of someone doing the same and the temps improved compared to leaving the GPU to find it's own air. It's an ultra quiet Noctua fan, so I thought why not.

Yeah, intakes on the AIO. The plan is to test both configs, but I'd rather start off by giving direct airflow to the MB components.
    It's incredibly light - I see what you meant the other day.

Oh, I stole a magnetic fan filter from my Core 500 to filter the bottom intake, but then it dawned on me that ALL of the exterior is aluminium. :duh:

Only the AIO fan bracket is steel. :lol:

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Lies, I bet you just leave your house's AA off for higher FPS!
    The lower Noctua fan could be removed if you add a duct from the bottom intake grill to the GPU fan intake (avoids it ingesting recirculated hot air from the card-end exhaust and the rad). Might work out marginally quieter without the two fans sitting right next to each other and setting up a beat frequency.

David likes this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The U9S is a good choice for air cooling in the M1 - that's what I'm using (with the second fan on the rear panel as an exhaust, and a 120mm fan on the side panel as an intake). I've toyed with the idea of an AIO but to be honest I like silence and my U9S fans are set to switch off unless the CPU hits a certain temperature. I don't really fancy having an AIO pump running constantly even if the rad fans are off.

I experimented with a fan on the case floor but it made hee-haw difference to temperatures. I think it might be because there's just not much space between the fan and the GPU so you don't get great airflow. That was with a blower-style 660Ti though, which may well be a different kettle of fish entirely from your 1080Ti. It did also increase noise a bit, even though the fan was a lovely quiet Noctua - I think in part that's down to turbulence from having two fans in close proximity. I also tried making a ghetto duct from the GPU fan to the case floor but that didn't do a lot either.

At least you've got a steel fan bracket. Mine is a v2 so it's alu just like the rest of the case!

David likes this.
  18. David

Ok, I ripped out the AIO and fitted the NH-U9S.

It's quieter under load than the ropey AIO with the buzzing pump is at idle. It's almost silent when browsing the net. I'm holding off on the replacement AIO for the moment.

30 minutes of Prime saw mid to high 60s.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

NIce! What CPU is that with, @David ?

I have the Noctua ultra low noise adaptors on both my U9S fans (and on the side bracket fan) - it bumps the temperatures up by a couple of degrees but reduces the noise under load considerably. That's with a 6700K at stock (not delidded, either).

20. David

It's a 6 six core i5-8400. it was my spare until yesterday when I sold my 7700K, but I probably wouldn't have bothered overclocking it anyway.

I had the LN adapters at the ready, but I'm fairly happy with the autotuned fan curve.