1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Would you return this 1070?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by boiled_elephant, 18 Mar 2019.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Posterity edit 2020-01-14: this card ended up being fine. The artifact in Elite Dangerous' menus was simply an anomaly. I have never found an explanation for it, but nothing else ever went wrong. Also, EVGA's warranty/support people are lovely and top notch.

Bought this card yesterday. Works fine in Tomb Raider (2013), Far Cry 3, Elite: Dangerous and Unigine Valley at 3840x2160/60Hz. It artifacts in this way in the menus of Elite: Dangerous, and only there (so far?), when scrolling through menu items.

I've seen plenty of GPU failures but I can't really decide if this really looks like a hardware artifact or just a GUI/graphics glitch within the game engine. Thoughts?

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I would check firstly that all cables / monitor leads were fully plugged in and then I'd hammer it with something like furmark for a few hours and see what it's up to then. Seems very odd to me.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Furmark is informally suspected to be a hardware killer due to its unrealistically continuous battering of the power circuitry (link lost, I used to have a very technical explanation of it from a forum). Handily EVGA have 3-year transferrable warranty so I'mma see if the seller can provide original receipts, just in case, and then just get as much gaming time in on it as possible to see if it falls over. Such a chore, but it's gotta be done...

edit - found the original posts, from Bobnova on Overclockers:
    https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-video-cards?p=6869254&viewfull=1#post6869254

Last edited: 20 Mar 2019