1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Have we reached peak RGB?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 Mar 2019.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Would they rhyme with 'horse hair' by any chance?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Or Coarse Stare?

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Ah see, my brain went straight to a company that rhymes with 'dueller blaster'...

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

My mind went to big cats.. I think there’s too many companies that match that description!

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It would not. those ones are actually very nice

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Do they rhyme with chiropractor?

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

hotter apprentice

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Closest I've seen are those obnoxious phone charging cables that light up and make me want to strangle the owner with them.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I went RGB for a different reason entirely. I have survived all of my adult life without so much as a windowed case, but now my kids are of an age where they have started to show an interest in how stuff works it's a nice touch.

My daughter helped me out my current rig together, and seeing the lighting in action definitely captured her (and her friend's) imagination much more than a more basic build would have.

Also, I fail to see how a market that offers components both with and without lighting options could ever be considered a bad thing. You don't have to buy into it!

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You see all the RGB has not appealed to me in the slightest but you have highlighted a great reason of how and why to use it.

11. liratheal

While I don't disagree with you on paper, I find that the fuddy-duddy in me is finding it harder to find things I want to buy that are as available in rainbow flags as they are in plain black. Or without windows.

And 90% of the time I don't begrudge people using RGB. It's your computer. I don't have to look at that radioactive spaghetti.

I do mind when it starts seeping out into "My new phone charger dun wurk" and I have to find a way to explain that the aldi-special wall adaptor doesn't have enough grunt to power both the daft cable and charge the half-broken phone.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Like I said, its a fad and will die naturally.

Sort of like my son's latest haircut, when I saw it I showed him some pictures of this, told him he was only a few small steps away from it and asked him "why"?

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The problem is, that's not actually the case. Example: RAMsinks. Utterly 100% pointless cosmetic wastes of money and space. However, try buying any non-ECC memory other than the most bargain basement sticks and you are forced to pay the Pointless Bling Tax even if you intend to immediately remove them.
    The RGB pox is similar: non-RGB options are dwindling and relegated to 'low end' SKUs, so you are stuck burning money on the RGB tax for no good reason.

adidan likes this.
  14. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

What I find most amusing is that the people who spend big on a blinged-up build often buy nice screens.

Nice, big, high performance, colour-accurate monitors. That is, until they are bathed in some garish, possibly constantly changing light show from their PC sitting next to them!

Truly it is madness.

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's why I've never taken to it myself, I want no visual distractions from my screen even if they are just in my periphery.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why? Why must it die naturally?

Why can't we drag it out into the back yard and slot it with a shovel?

Fingers66 and The_Crapman like this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

An RGB shovel?

jb0, David, Fingers66 and 1 other person like this.
  18. liratheal

I wonder when the RGB fad is going to catch on to tools..

"New from Makita: RGB angle grinder with disco mode!"

jb0 likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:hehe:

20. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

We need a case made entirely out of individually-addressable RGB LEDs. Failing that, OLED panels for every flat surface will suffice, I guess. And the case window needs to be an LCD with the backlight removed so you... wait, that's actually a thing.

Less sarcastically, I would actually buy a power supply mounted in a clear acrylic box instead of a stamped steel one.
    I think power supplies look kinda cool, and wish they were actually visible.

(I am also aware that it an acrylic supply case is PROBABLY illegal, since the steel enclosure is grounded and thus a safety feature... if your home has grounded outlets. Guess who lives in an american house built in the early fifties, win a fistful of grounding adapters.)

Tags: Add Tags