1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Probably a repost, but worth it.

adidan likes this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Her legacy is already "One of the worst PM's of all time". I wonder if she's trying to knock Anthony Eden off the bottom spot.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed that there is a huge majority of unflattering pictures of May when there is one in a news article?

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I don't recall having three years to research before I voted! Nice to see that some did though

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Because a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite to democracy, if people vote without being well-informed on what they're voting for it's no longer a democracy.

5. liratheal

I mean.. It doesn't take three years..

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+are+the+implications+of+leaving+the+eu&source=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:6/1/2016,cd_max:6/15/2016&tbm=

There's what you'd have if you'd googled 'what are the implications of leaving the eu' back in June 2016. Bunch of different results from a bunch of different perspectives that should take anyone with a reasonable reading level a couple of hours, tops, to read the first page of results..

And that's assuming you left googling until June. You'd had since February to do a bit of reading, so even at one article a day you'd have had a very well rounded set of opinions to mull over before the vote.

Edit: And I don't mean that it'd have changed your mind (Although I suspect it might have), but a whole bunch of varied opinions on leaving the EU is probably a good thing when making a decision on whether to vote for that exact thing.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2019
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I prefer to see this as an issue with referenda rather than the people who vote in them. Asking a simple question relating to complex situations is never going to end well.

liratheal and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, just 58 years. Or, if you want to be more generous, 44 years since the electorate was first asked if it would like to remain a member. Hardly enough time to learn about the benefits membership brings and the risks inherent in leaving, I know.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

True, but it didn't have to be a simple question. The government sent out a leaflet informing people of what they were voting for, as per EU guidelines on democracy, but unfortunately most people threw those straight in the bin or dismissed them as remainer propaganda.

And then there was the whitepaper on what ticking the box marked leave actually meant, that should have been published 8 months before people voted, not 8 months afterwards.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"When I voted for something without understanding the consequences, I didn't know that I would get unexpected consequences!"

"Let's just leave" is not a responsible attitude. It's like moving out without knowing where you're going to sleep that night. It is a total abdication of control and responsibility; junkie logic. A functioning democracy requires a wise and informed electorate. The fact that you're now acting all surprised about the (very predictable) outcome of your vote means that you already failed at this basic prerequisite.

And that is Brexit all over: after repeatedly voting for a venal austerity government selling the UK off to the highest bidder, people thought they were going to "claim their country back" through a cheap, populist vote rather than getting off their arses and informing themselves before voting and working hard to earn their country back. You have been relying for too long on immigrants to do all the hard work for you, like inept colonials who couldn't even dress themselves without a slave or servant to tie their shoe laces. You have been living off the money of foreigners but don't want to pay your debts.

You want your country back? You're going to have to earn it back. You want control? You're going to have to learn to take the responsibility that comes with it. Time to grow up and be an adult.

10. liratheal

Annd here is why I think critical thinking and researching current issues should be covered in school. People don't seem to know how to research without just picking up the same paper their parents read.

That would have meant someone thinking more than about how to get elected in the next GE without losing some of their party to other parties because reasons.

Corky42 and adidan like this.
  11. adidan

Seeing it pan out pretty much as you expected doesn't make it feel any better. This is how I've been feeling for a long time....

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Same here. At least you have the small comfort of knowing that you didn't vote for this ***********.

adidan likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I remember a story on the tv news during the campaigning about an old couple from Wales who were voting to leave. Their reason for leaving was that they'd ploughed all their life savings into buying an old steel plant, a few big brick tin topped but empty buildings, in the valleys. They thought they'd be able to persuade investors into finding turning into a business park/offices/Shops/flats type conversion dealio. The artist drawings they'd had done looked really nice, like you see happening in a few places. Only it was in the middle of nowhere. One Road went past it, no public transport went near it, only a small village nearby. No one would touch it; not the banks, investment firms, no government grant schemes. And no one else wanted to buy it (shock). But then they heard the EU gave out money so applied to them. The EU said no. No to their very costly mistake.

They were voting leave because the EU wouldn't give them money to make them rich. Seriously.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Or, y'know, piss the time away on political tribalism and a football-hooligan "our team won, your team lost, get over it" mentality, crash out, eat rat-burger for a few years, then go back cap-in-hand requesting to rejoin with none of our previous sweetheart deals. Hard Remain with a Gap In It, basically: Schengen membership, adopt the Euro, full metrification...

15. liratheal

Being a vindictive ****, I'd laugh if the EU said "If you want to stay after all this kerfuffle, you need to accept these terms.." with those in it.

16. Gareth Halfacree

I'm having a quick scan of the (poorly attended) parliamentary meeting from the 1st of April to debate the recent e-petitions, including the six-million-plus revoke petition, and came across this supposed adult storming out of the meeting because Brexit doesn't actually mean Brexit after all and he and his team had nothing to offer beyond the usual platitudes. And here confirmation that his exit, followed by his few colleagues who bothered to attend, meant that there was literally no House representative at the 'debate' by the halfway point.

Burn.

Democracy in action(!)

EDIT:
    Hah!

edzieba likes this.
  17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The funny part is if you listen to the video of the debate (around 1h 36m) when Hansard recorded those comments you can hear the crowd outside shouting 'Stop Brexit'. :D

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I imagine most did not. I know I didn't. Fairly sure I believed the leave position was Norway/Switzerland and thought why bother when we can continue to lead from inside. Anything harder could cause issues with NI, Scotland and citizens and wouldn't happen.

Since then, there has been a whole lot of things i've learnt (and already forgotten) with a lot coming from 3blokes - who knew pallets would be an issue. Regardless, parliament has shown itself to be sorely lacking, MPs generally useless and we are once again paying the price for being unable to keep our house in order while trying to blame the EU for it.

I saw this on reddit https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1113547733300842497.html

Nexxo, Corky42 and adidan like this.
  19. adidan

Awesome work on his part.

Edit: In other news the Police have warned those with a public platform (ie MPs) to watch what they say in order not to inflame people.

Makes me think of the sweary Bercow twitter feed now.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yep! The go to response for any brexiter that says we voted for WTO only and nothing else was the hannan/farage whoever else youtube video. That thread goes above and beyond that.

As for the police, I missed that being said. I did however pick up on the 10,000 police ready to be deployed, if needed, in the case of no deal.

Oh, and amusingly yesterday when I saw TM walking next to JC I noticed red, white and blue colours. Maybe that's what TM meant all along :hehe: