1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Could you not have just shown her some of your posts on here instead? ;)

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

She would have never let me leave then.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Doctor in paediatric A&E stuck by his diagnosis of viral tonsillitis; didn't take a swab. Doctor in the Children's Ward said the doctors in paediatric A&E are less experienced, and he diagnosed bacterial tonsillitis; didn't take a swab. She's home now, and the only advice is "keep doing what you're doing," so that was a night well spent(!)

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Urgh. I can empathise with that - I get that the entire medical field is basically a series of educated guesses, but that doesn't make it feel any better when you don't have confidence in said guesses.

It doesn't surprise me they didn't take a swab though - they would normally only take that after a period of continued deterioration on antibiotics, i.e. if they needed to use something else and wanted to target it, and in most cases they would have it sorted before they even got the results. Ours had an admission recently for an infection (suspected throat infection as the source, but went into lymph nodes in her neck) - after a day of oral co-amoxiclav at home things got much worse, she was admitted, and they took a swab. After another day of IV co-amoxiclav in the hospital still didn't improve, so they added clindamycin and that started to improve things fairly quickly - it wasn't until she had started to improve anyway that they got results from the swab, and they said if she continued to deteriorate on the clindamycin they would need to take a biopsy anyway.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

hahaha that sounds like something Terry F***wit would do in Viz...

"Ma, I did a poo in my potty can I have some sweets?"

"No Terry. First of all you are 45 years old and secondly I am not your mother I am the postman".

adidan likes this.
  6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So I had to sell the last of my Litecoin to cover some bills last week. Bought between £22 and £26 (near the bottom), sold at around the £33 mark, so didn't exactly make a loss... Went up to £75 yesterday.

**** you crypto.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Was supposed to have an interview, interviewer kept pushing it back then just stopped answering completely.

Can't land a bloody job here in the US. No one wants to risk a short term employee.

So now I've been working in a supermarket to help with the (very expensive) expenses. They've got me doing the clean sweep and pushing carts indoors. I easily walk about 15+km per shift pushing carts and cleaning ****. All for peanuts.

From all that walking - outside, inside, outside, inside, sun, rain, wind, cold; I've now got the flu.

Fml doesn't begin to express how my life has been in the US.

8. Vault-Tec

Sounds like mine. I was due to fly to Phila on 12th Sept 2001. Got to Heathrow and the flight was cancelled, due to a bomb threat (that turned out to be a hoax). Anyway, they stuffed us into a canvas tent with a heater in it and we sat there for about three hours before my bottle went and I bricked it and done a bunk.

Went home in a taxi, then got on the phone to cruise companies, ended up getting a last minute booking on the QE2. Got half way across the ocean, then found out we weren't going to NY we were going to effing Boston. Had to beg borrow and beg some more for a free train ticket to Phila, as we had no cash on us.

I should have turned around and came back then, but I was dedicated to my ex wife. Ended up taking four years before I even got a work permit, due to several mistakes with my papers. The first lot were lost, and I had to pay $3000 for a lawyer and the vaccinations and medical tests etc. That then left me flat broke and I was dependent on my ex. Which of course eventually turned the marriage sour. I could not drive either, so I spent three years sat on a farm slowly going out of my mind.

I too ended up doing crap jobs. Blockbuster Video, call centres etc. I had no qualifications, even though I had managed and ran (and opened and closed) a computer store in London for three years. As soon as I was diagnosed Bipolar 2 my medical insurer refused to cover me, I ended up having a breakdown and manic period and had hallucinations, hearing things etc.

I was truly broken when I arrived back in 2008.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Have you considered waiting tables?

It's possible to make fairly stupid money, unlikely that employers will want a long-term commitment and can be wangled with little to no experience if you present yourself well
    I used to work at an Applebees during the summers and made an effective hourly rate that was comfortably higher than my first "real" job.

10. Vault-Tec

Applebees Fiesta Lime Chicken.

That is all.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I wouldn't mind, but I just want to get back into IT. I've got 11 years experience, I've been a certified Cisco engineer, I did some development years ago, and did Linux Sysadmin and DevOps for the last 5 years.

I'm at my wits end.

12. Vault-Tec

What state are you in fella?

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

PA. About 45m out from Philly.

14. Vault-Tec

OK so pretty much about 60 miles from where I was (Salem County NJ across the Wilmington Memorial).

It was tough out there when I left. Every one wanted A+ and all sorts of BS qualifications that meant nothing. The U.S is all about college and of course the money.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

She's been feeling a bit better this afternoon - and I've got zero work done - but has started to turn a bit wobbly again. Hopefully mostly tiredness, though - fingers crossed we're through the worst of it.

D3URnv0X4AUb8X9.jpg

perplekks45, ElThomsono, IanW and 2 others like this.
  16. adidan

Must. Not. Move. Arm. Child. Resting.

Lost. All. Feeling. In. Arm.

Father skills - Approved.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Spoke too soon: north of 39°C and feeling miserable again. Can't believe how long this is taking to break.

18. adidan

Crap. That's just not cricket.

Edit. My annoyance pales in comparison but the good lady got a letter today saying she has £100 penalty for not sending a self assessment in on time. Thing is she doesn't need to do a self assessment as she's PAYE. Not sure what they're playing at.

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I will reserve judgement... for now.

The really important question at this point is who they're getting to play Ein.

[​IMG]

EDIT: This is really making me want to re-watch this series now...