1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2019 thread - Season Over

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 25 Nov 2018.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I still miss Murray Walker & James Hunt. Now that was a double act!

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I'm definitely on the side of calm, collected commentary - Ben Edwards makes out that a car has exploded in a shower of sparks and carbon fibre if it so much as puts a wheel on the grass... Crofty is slightly better, but still a little too enthusiastic for me.

Anyways, the race!

Leclerc showing Vettel up like D-Ric did when they were at RBR together, he is only going to grow in confidence too (like he did at Sauber as the season got into full swing). Mercedes bagging a 1-2 here will go down as one of the most fortunate results of the season. Verstappen above both Ferrari drivers in the standings is showing that he is doing the right thing this year - going for consistency and waiting for the opportunities to come to him, rather than trying too hard for every position.

Renault are proving they are as French as French cars can be. Not even McLaren are breaking down as much! Maybe Daniel should have taken the Honda risk..

Williams still turning up to the wrong Formula - But at least both drivers best result is still better than Ricciardo's and Sainz's?

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I'm guessing his move was more out of wanting progression which at least with a works team hes more likely to get.
    Its a shame as I rate him over Verstappen.

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I find myself shouting at the telly when Crofty has one of his moments and gets over excited.

Mercedes banter was strong this weekend

The_Crapman, IanW and David like this.
  5. legoman

David likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I don't think Honda was the issue so much as Red Bull being centered entirely around Max Verstappen and making Max Verstappen a champion. The writing was on the wall when Max signed a $20million+ deal whilst at the same time RB was insisting that Dan continue the expenses + bonuses deal the pair of them have had for the last couple of years.

Looking at the way his car ran last year and the way Gasly is getting treated by the team he made the right call. After testing it was pretty clear that Red Bull would run just one car if the rules allowed them. I think RB backed the wrong driver of the two but when one's dad is friends with the owner and one isn't, whatcha gonna do?

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It also looks like the China GP will be shown on Sky One which, for those that don't know, is included in the Now TV Entertainment package @ £7.99 pm.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Wonder how long Gasley will be at Red Bull before Kyvatt gets the nod again. Tho after last race Albon looked like he had more about him.

TBH I dont think binotto has done much wrong. Australia...maybe he could be blamed for finding the window during testing. Last race everything went perfectly until the rotten luck of LeClerc or Vettel yet again showing he cant race wheel to wheel

At this point, looking back at how dominent the Red Bull was, and how much Alonso dragged from the Ferrari, Vettel is starting to rank as one of the worse drivers to win the championship in my mind.
    Im struggling to think of a race where you could say that was an impressive drive like you could with Alonso or even Perez. Heck even Norris you could say has had an impressive race and he's only 2 races in!

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Vettel in hindsight certainly looks more 'lucky' than 'good'.

10. fix-the-spade

I don't think Vettel has been lucky so much that he was the absolute master of the blown diffuser driving style (brake and throttle together through slow corners) which a lot of drivers really struggled with. I also think that Hamilton has steadily improved throughout his career whilst Vettel remains about as good as he ever was. A guy who averaged a top 3 finish every other race for ten years is more than lucky that's for sure.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I think that assessment is fair - it takes a bit more than luck to get to the point where Seb is in his career.
    That said, to my mind, he's one of the drivers that went to the Schumi-school-of-driving (which is probably unfair towards Schumacher):
    It's about him, and that's it.
    Plenty of raw pace there, yes.
    Plenty of ego there, also.
    Stompy feet when things don't go as planned? Yes.
    Blind ignorance/inability to think straight when faced with a tricky situation? yup.

Also in that Box (to me):
    Rosberg (his move in Monaco quali a few years back was pure d***)
    Max Verstappen (him specifically: Hot headed, can't accept that he may have slipped up. Was clear post-race in Bahrain whn comparing his answer to Gasly's: Max: "The car is not how I like it. I always give it my best shot." Gasly: "I am new to this team. I need to adjust to the car and the team and do what it takes to get faster" - the difference in mindset there is dramatic.)

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Vettel: Why is my PoS car so slow!
    Leclerc: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯... sucks, but **** happens

13. javaman

Article on Rich Energy. Dont know much about the source tho Ive came across a few of their articles mostly stuff that speculation or hard facts so never had any reason not to trust it.
    Still, article still hasnt really answered wtf is "Rich Energy" for me. It and Rokit seem bizzare to me

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

15. fix-the-spade

I doubt that will go very far since both of them bought their logos from stock image sites, more importantly there is no overlap between Rich Energy and Whyte bikes, so the odds of a court ruling customers may be confused seem pretty low.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

And yet....
    [​IMG]

17. javaman

Yea tho there was a certain amount of business cleverness went into WWF rebranding decision. No pointing in annoying and risk tarnishing your own image fighting militant wildlife fanatics who are essentially a charity.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Business cleverness? It was a strategic decision, was it?

Wrestling fan, by any chance?

They cleverly decided to change after losing in court. Twice.

19. legoman

The Whyte Vs. Rich Energy mainly draws from Whyte started using the logo in 2013, Rich energy was incorporated in 2015, logo appears shortly after.

20. fix-the-spade

That was a different though, the WWF had signed a deal with the other WWF not to use the WWF initials in it's promotional material in the UK and/or to ensure that the phrase 'World Wrestling Federation' was included in any logo that did. The court ruled that the WWF were in violation of that contract (which they totally were) and not that there was any likelihood of confusion.

Whyte and Rich both use their names in the logo and neither have any written down deals abou tthat logo, so a court will need a lot of convincing that Whyte Bikes and Rich Energy Drinks are close enough together to cause problems.

#Edit
    What have we come to!? Copyright disputes are getting more discussion than the actual season!

Last edited: 12 Apr 2019