1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Powerline adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Apr 2019.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No choice....

I bought a Humax Freesat box for my living room and moved the BT Youview box to the bedroom, which has a proper aerial socket. Any way, this box whines continually about having to be connected to the Internet and only works wired. I've bought some TP Link Powerline adapters and they're coming later but would there be any reasons why they may not work? If so how could I troubleshoot and or fix that?

Cheers guys

V-T

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I don't see why not. Even the crappy free BT ones made out Vision box work OK.
    We're running better, higher bandwidth ones at home and at work, and they do the trick with no problem.
    If they're still the same as older ones, pair them in adjacent sockets on a 2 gang wall plate.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

I've only got one fuse/breaker panel. I just wasn't sure it works if they're on separate fuse/breakers?

As you can tell networking is my PC foible.

Goatee likes this.
  4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Actually it's the other way around. It won't work across panels in properties that have multiple panels. As long as you just have the one RCD fuse box, they should all sync up just fine.

Arboreal and Vault-Tec like this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Here's a goodun...

Can I plug a switch into the other end and plug more than one Nic device into it? So into a port on the router one end, then a switch in the bedroom connected to that one. Will that work? 'Cause I got a switch I'm not using atm.

Ta

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

That'll work

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yep. Although if you only need two ports, you could buy a two port set. It'll switch between port 1 and port 2 without transmitting on the electric wiring part. It'll use less power and less cables etc but obviously it won't necessarily save you money because you already own the switches.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yep that will work :)

I have a set of TP Link AV1300 (I think that was the model number). Basically one is a single Gigabit Ethernet port whilst the other one has three Gigabit ports on it (effectively a built in switch). I have mine going from the downstairs router to the three machines upstairs.

Given my configuration and the house electrics (old and crosses onto another ring from memory) the speed is good but not Gigabit quick (I wasn't expecting that to be fair). All I cared about was capping the Internet speed and maintaining faster than wifi speeds for our NAS.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The only time I've had trouble with PL adapters is when I've mixed multiple brands. TP Link did not play well with others, although they were just fine on their own.

10. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Had no issues using powerline at my parents place - it's a weird house with 3x fuse boxes with their own eing main wiring loop but we have 6x powerline adapters each with mains passthrough (so that there's no loss in AC socket) & one with 3x ethernet and wifi regurgitator (with at least one on each loop) - they all work perfectly, even with mixing brands (TP-link and D-Link). All use the same AV500 Homeplug standard - mixing standards tends to cause problems from what I've read.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I use the UK brand Solwise as they use the "more reliable" intel NIC and cost less than the name brands that use Intel NICs which tech reviews claim are more reliable, but I have had them for years so this might have changed since then.

12. Vault-Tec

After messing with ribbon extenders for X1 PCIE and spending too long trying to get a wifi card into my desktop I gave up and just bought another set of the TPs. Not sure why I didn't just bloody do so before wasting hours of my time.

They work great. They're a darn sight smaller than the old ones too. I remember them being positively hooj.