1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STEALTH:: LIAN LI TRANSFORMATION! 12/07 new pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fohkus, 1 Oct 2003.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys... i started working on the side panel and i decided to give u some shots of the progress... for the side panel, i've always wanted to try and do something a lil crazy instead of a typical shape like a square or a circle, so after browsing the web for weeks i finally found a pretty cool tribal design...

[​IMG]

The first thing i did was draw it out.. this step alone took me forever cuz i couldnt get it right but after i was satisfied... i went ahead and..

[​IMG]

colored in the areas that were going to be cut out. This is the first time i actually cut out a window thats not "4 straight lines" so i'm not sure what i'm capable of doing. When i first saw it, i was like damn that would look nice. Could i do it? Well, probably not but i decided to give it a try anyways :)

[​IMG]

Here is a step of the progress. The design was cut with a jigsaw because i felt i had more control with that tool. But all of you jigsawers know that its extremely difficult to go on round corners. So in order to go around them i made holes all over the place. I probably drilled like ten million holes i was damn tired of it.. lol

[​IMG]

and here the panel is completed :) I did not take attention to the fact that the panel has rails on the bottom and right side of the back. The rails are used so that the panel could slide onto the case and be secured. The design i drew just completely went over them so i had to use my judgement and redesign the design a little but, therefore the legs were cut short and a few other things were changed.

[​IMG]

Here i finally attached it to the case. I was damn impressed with the outcome. I still have to clean up the edges but this is right off the cut so its still rough. The main problem i was having was that when i cut out the pieces, there was soon no more support for the other pieces, and using a jigsaw, support is a major issue :wallbash: So after forcing a few pieces i managed to bend the aluminum a little bit causing it to have a few crease marks here and there. That pissed me off but the outcome was worth the few mistakes i had. Another mistake i had was that the aluminum got scratched. That is a hard mistake to not have considering how i taped up the entire panel AND the bottom side of the jigsaw, what more could be done? :sigh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the panel attached to the case. Keep in mind that i'm going to be using tinted plexiglass for the backside :naughty: Next up would be filing and sanding.. the worst parts :( Hope this makes the project a little more interesting to a few people..... i'm also planning to cut out a design on the right panel as well so come back for updates :)

2. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

the mad jigsawer is here :hehe:

very kewl window man

happy sanding

3. Phlek

Phlek What's a Dremel?

Suprised you could pull that off with a jigsaw, it came out pretty nice though. nice job man :clap:

4. kestrel

kestrel What's a Dremel?

great work! I might try replacing my case panels with black plexi instead of painting. I also like the lighting you did. :clap:

5. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

:jawdrop: WOW you did that with a jigsaw!? :thumb:

Got a teaser for what will be on the other side? :naughty:

6. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

considering how it took me weeks to find that design.. not quite yet... :p

7. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

OH MY GOD. Amazing work dude. Definately one of the best lians i've seen in a looong time.

8. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Do you mean on the back of the computer or on the windowed side? I think a tinted window for the side with the design would look great and match the front and top (and back possibly) really well. Any possibility of that?
    Oh and by the way, thats some hot cutting :thumb:

9. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

I mean on the back of the windowed side :p instead of putting normal clear acryic behind the panel to support the pieces, im going to be using tinted plexiglass instead so the cuts will have a dark tint behind them

10. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Excellent. That was what I was hoping you would do. I cant wait to see it.

11. JPLocutus

JPLocutus What's a Dremel?

Very nice work on the side panel man. I found a similar design that looks a lot like a face (not quite, but enough where you say "oh that's a face i think") and dremelled it into the side panel of my pc61 (and I must say looks very nice), so I can appreciated what a pain it was to cut that into yours. I can't imagine doing that with a jigsaw though, it was hard enough with the dremel. If I had a decent camera I'd take a pic and show you.

Again, very nice work, can't wait to see it w/ plexi.

P.S. How're you gonna mount the window? I ended up having to use double-sided tape because some parts of my design left too thin a piece of metal to be glued w/o the glue oozing out the sides. So I'm curious as to how you're gonna do it.

12. Zazard

Zazard What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

It just rocks ! No other words to say here . :rock: :rock:

13. Lord Kordir

Lord Kordir What's a Dremel?

fohkus, yous sure like a challenge bud? Could you have chosen a more complicated design?

You make me want to go and a buy a Lian Li case now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

14. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

is it a butterfly? ;)

I'm loving the progress of this case- definatley an inspiration if i say so myself. I'm not a huge fan of the side, but the rest of the computer is siiiiick.

15. Rody

Rody What's a Dremel?

Very cool :thumb:

16. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

That window is very nice :)

17. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

18. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

I think i may be using the same method as you cuz the oozing of glue will look terrible i think. I wanna see your panel!!! :)

That was the basic idea :) I wanted to pick a design that someone would typically bring to a laser cutter and then attack it myself w/ a puny jigsaw :p I actually thought about bringing this to the professionals to have a laser cut but the feeling i got after completing the window was far more worth it i think!

I don't think it is... hehe i'm sorry the window doesnt seem to impress you as it did for me.. but maybe the other side panel might :p

question: I must ask.. for those who have cut out intricate designs like this.. i mentioned earlier that I got a few crease marks on the aluminum from a little bending cause from the crazy vibration of the jigsaw on the "not supported as well pieces." My question is, how would i go about fixing this? I tried to hammer it back to flat but that didnt seem to get the crease lines away :(

19. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

wow the last evolution of your case is :jawdrop: :clap:

20. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

i dont know if this would work, but in theory it would. glue a thicker peice of plexi on the back, and where the creases are, use a little more glue to hold that mutha fuggin crease back.
    Show that sucker who's boss.
    Now i didnt say I wasnt impressed with the window, i just dont like how it goes with the case, doesnt really seem to match. But trust me, i know how much work went into that and it is a nice work of art!