1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not if you print in ABS and smooth it with acetone vapour. Though doing so using home equipment without melting the finer details, poisoning yourself, or blowing yourself sky-high is an exercise left to the reader.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I spent perhaps more time than is reasonable when looking at 3D printing for things like this, because I know damn well when I have a 3D printer I'll be fighting the urge daily to print a Warlord. I came across a specifically designed filament and a box that did exactly that - However, its capacity was tiny, and thus, ****.

I also read that the application of vapourised acetone (I was leaning towards using an e-cigarette style setup when considering options, similar to how cosplayers use them to create steam/fog/etc) could/would/does (depending on where you read it) cause stress-changes in the plastic that would ultimately lead to premature degradation of the ABS.

How much weight there is to that, I can't remember, but I decided it wasn't something I'd be doing on a Warlord sized print without substantial testing beforehand.

Also as you say, it's prone to killing smaller details, which sadly in the case of titans, is eeeverywhere.

I decided that the resin jobbies, SLA is it? would be the better choice for the visual parts and filament would be the best for the structural, big, stuff.

But at that kind of expenditure, time investment, and print time/cost I decided it might, perhaps, be easier to just buy one..

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

SLA ( stereolithograph apparatus ) gives FAR smoother prints than could ever be acheived with FDM Fused Deposition Modeling but the printers do smell quite bad, and require their own setup ( mainly 'infill' in SLA print's is not quite ready, so you have to have a program that can hollow it out and then you decide how thick the walls are ) and ALOT of cleanup mainly washes in Isopropyl alcohol to clean off any excess resin and then a curing process with exposure to UV light, either outside in the sun for a few hours if its sunny, or a UV lamp requiring extra time and investmant.

however the prices are tumbling quickly, with printers such as the Anycubic Photon how under the £400 mark, and resin now under £50 a litre. I remember when the first resin printer under £1000 was hailed as a deal of the century and the resin was around £120 a litre

My warlord...isnt the best, im likely going to go back and re-print the armour if i get a Resin printer, or when i have upgraded mine, i had a bad roll of filament that kinda messed my printer up and it needs a tune up on the hot end.

Also the answer to my Question, the Purple one is the 3d Print, the two giveaways are the mouts on the shoulder armour for the 'shield' ( on the FW one its a ball joint ) and the thickness of the armour above the head ( on the 3d print its much Thicker

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Did a bit more painting over the weekend, one of the Gitz spells (the explody nuclear mushroom one), and I've almost completed my attempt at a base for my Azyrite ruins. Haven't taken any decent photos yet, but I did upload some quick wip shots to my Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvox3aSnXKo/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvq_qbInuAm/

I'll try and replace the links once I've uploaded some proper shots to flickr

5. lilgoth89

also looking at the warlord... i wished i had gone through the model and modelled in some Magnet holes so i could magnetise the armour ( that way i can fall to Heresy should a Choas Titan legion be required )

6. lilgoth89

7. liratheal

Heh, I saw some comments about how amazing csm were - with mentions of rules in literally all of those bits.

I thought I was on warhammer community and not one of the many wargaming news sites..

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

So I finally got my first Primaris marine completed the other evening. Been a long time since I did any marines (other than the Redemptor Dread).

[​IMG]

In comparison to my older Raptor Company...
    [​IMG]

liratheal likes this.
  9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nice, excellent improvement.

liratheal and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  10. lilgoth89

im still on the painting level of your old raptor company, maybe not even there XD

11. liratheal

Eh, man, there's always gonna be someone better. No point comparing your set of skills to other peoples!

I imagine not everyone here has the patience to do the needful to 3D print a Warlord, or any other titan for that matter, and correct all the inconsistencies with the FW model and the 3D one.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

^^Wot Lira said.

I'm basic as all hell with my painting. No layering, no shadows, nothing fancy. A couple of washes here and there to add some depth, that's about it. Other than that, I just like clean likes and I cannot blend colours to save my life. The new Primaris are great for that.

Trying to work on the 2nd model for the 5-man squad now.

13. lilgoth89

i think i need supervision, there i was looking at my Imperial guard, and i look at the Leman Russ and go, yeah i dont like that design i wonder if it would look good on a Chimera chassis

10 hours later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts on Lemon Russ Proxy ?

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

imo the turret needs to be further forward, and add track guards.

Basically i'd aim for a more ww2-style tank rather than the WW1-evoking vanilla Russ. and maybe thin the barrel a little.

Maybe have a tank destroyer variant with the vanquisher cannon and the turrent mounted towards the rear as you have it now.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2019
  15. lilgoth89

i designed the vehicle to be more like a between step between the Chimera chassis and the Macharius,
    so Rear mounted turret of the heavier Imperial guard tanks like the Macharius and baneblade, and also the Exposed track from Macharius and Chimera

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

In that case i'd mid mount it, so it's clearly not a chimera/hellhound [with their front mounted turrets], more like the Malcador's little brother.

Or go for the full KV-style safe/fridge of a turret a la the Krieg Ragnarok

Last edited: 22 Apr 2019
  17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'm trying to hammer out the 2nd marine for that Primaris squad today. Have all the folds done, backpack, chest pieces and half of the weapon completed.

I'm only using a very simple "camo" scheme for the Primaris range as I want it to be a progression from the standard tactical marines. Outer plates are all basecoated in Castellan Green, with a smooth layer of Death world forest on top. Bolters are basecoated in black, allowing for a darker shading on the body of the rifle using Castellan green.
    Very simple overall, but the small differences in the greens does give it a sense of camouflage. I used to do different colours on the helmets to demarcate battlefield roles, but I'll get to that once I start doing Hellblasters and Aggressors.

The Land Raider Redeemer I picked up while on holiday in Belgium at the end of last year is going to be a *******. So is the Knight...

18. lilgoth89

[​IMG]
    The results of my depression, the dumb thing is that i dont think i will ever get to see my printed stuff take to the tabletop, i couldnt ever take it to a GW, and the FLGS closed down so i dont really know people into the hobby, and my Autism does make it very difficult to just walk into a place i dont know, full of people i dont know and start talking to people

19. lilgoth89

[​IMG]

Imperial Family Photo

Most of the 'Official' models are Ebay Rescues, in various stages of repair and restoration. the Amigers, Warhounds, Warlord, 3x Russ and the Macharius are printed, along with a few various conversion bits scattered across the armies

Last edited: 4 May 2019
    [ZiiP] NaloaC and liratheal like this.
  20. lilgoth89

someone just posted that i could write a story about the guard being survivors of Cadia, and so i wrote a quick paragraph

'''They held on as long as they could, even as Cadia itself began to break apart beneath them they held the line, evacuating as many as would fit on the shuttles taking them to the Imperial Navy ships who were so low in the sky their guns could be see glowing from the ground, Glowing white hot as they pounded the hordes of Chaos snapping at their heels, eventually the Titans themselves were safely aboard the transport, and the guards and marines followed shortly thereafter having no time to wait for their Thunderhawks or other means of escape, Librarians joined Techpriests in chanting incantations to help bolster the straining void shields of the ships, until the ground broke apart beneath them, so many were lost in the evacuations, so many herioc sacrifices had made this small victory possible, this small victory had cost the lives of marines and guardsmen alike but they had achieved their goal. The Titans were Safe''

MadGinga likes this.