1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Can I reuse a cars audio system?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 22 Apr 2019.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I have a little boat with just a motor, I also have a Mercedes with what I recon is a rather decent sound system I’m going to scrap. Would it be possible to rip the sound system out and place it in the boat? Speakers, battery etc

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You could. But I doubt anything on a Mercedes is marine grade. So how long it would actually last on a boat is a different story.

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

What kind of sound system?
    Is it integrated into anyother parts of the?

I'd imagine it'd be easier to take the speakers and wire to an after market headunit.
    If you do this, find a way to waterproof everything.

But maybe just get a bluetooth speaker.....

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I've just bought a simple marine setup instead, does seem rather tragic that semi decent car speakers go straight to the scrape heap though.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Absolutely. We always did this growing up. So when fishing, whoever wants to play the next song just plug the aux cord into your phone.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Apart from some time, you probably don't have a huge amount to lose by at least trying it and seeing how it goes. Unless of course you have to start cutting holes in the boat to get the speakers in somewhere. In which case an acceptable back up plan would be advisable.

Weekly_Estimate and goldstar0011 like this.
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Most car speakers have paper cones, even though they usually treat them its more to deal with the odd splash so a boat would be a bit too far out the comfort zone. Problem sorted though you got some marine ones anyway

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Back in the day pulling a head unit and chucking 12 volts at it was the work of minutes.
    Nowadays not so much with canbus, fibre optic, separate amps etc etc, but it all depends on the motor in question, as it's being scrapped anyway there's no harm in pulling it out for a look see.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Actually, most cars from the mid 90's onward would have used polypropylene, or another composite material such as kevlar and would have a rubber damping.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Only major drawback will undoubtedly be weird coloured wiring. It would be far easier to yank the loom (or at least some of it).

OEMs love to give their audio cables weird colours.