1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PVR server software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chunkers, 29 Apr 2019.

1. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Hi guys,

We started with a TiVo in the 90's in the UK for our TV PVR until the service was cancelled and then migrated through Windows MCE (now gone) and switched about 5 years ago to a MediaPortal server with Kodi frontends around the house.

We have many devices on multiple different platforms around the house running Kodi or other frontends LibreElec, iOS, PC. Our TV is exclusively from Netflix, Amazon Prime and Freeview DVB-T2.

I am about to replace our server and it seems like an opportunity to look again at what options are out there as there are a couple of features we really miss in MediaPortal :
    • A web EPG interface that is not buggy (WebMediaPortal is buggy and seemingly not supported)
    • A proper "Series Link" functionality (not "record every time on this channel") so you can record by series number or new episode
    The development version of MediaPortal (v2) has seemingly been in development for about 4 years and still lacks these features as far as I can see.
    I would love to hear how some of the other media servers match up, I have been looking and here are my findings so far :

NextPVR - looks quite good but not sure about web EPG interface
    PLEX - Live TV seems a bit of an afterthought / in beta, we don't have a media library and PLEX seems biased towards people who do
    TVHeadend - I tried it years ago and didn't like the lack of any proper interface, I donlt know much about it these days
    Emby - don't know much about it, reviews seem to imply its not as good as PLEX and don't know whether it supports Live TV
    MythTV - I really like Linux but last time I tried it was very clunky to set up and had horrible interface and compatibility compared to Windows, I can't see make wife building drivers from source etc ...

Has anyone got any comments or recommendations on our specific usage case?

*We have no real interest in internet streaming, just Live TV plus we already have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Spotify subscriptions to meet our streaming needs

Chunks

2. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

I use NextPVR (off line) the only "problems" I have are the channel numbers are wrong (mostly because I havn't got round to changing the setting) and I have to rescan the EPG roughly every 2 weeks (not a clue why)

3. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Thanks, I have ordered my new server and will definitely be giving NextPVR a try as the backend, I can always go back to MediaPortal if it doesn't work out better!

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I use Plex and I agree that the LiveTV functionality still needs work but they are regularly improving it. It’s getting better with each release.