1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve Index pre-orders open today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 May 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

There are a couple of instances of 'knunckles' in the article. Made me chuckle, but I suspect typos! :thumb:

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fun fact: "an uncle" used to be "a nuncle" (and thus "uncle" was "nuncle",) but it was a victim of the N-shift alongside "an apron/a napron."

I mean, it has nothing to do with my typos, but it's a fun fact nevertheless!

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nawesome.

Gareth Halfacree, MLyons and Speed like this.
  5. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Bought it :clap:

Can’t wait to wave my sabre around ... and play the anticipated Valve title.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I was really hoping for a lower price point. I'd like a higher resolution and better fit than my Rift(I hear Index plays well with glasses), and Sonic&Knuckles looks like a really nice controller. But that price tag...

7. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Totally agree on the price point. It’s gone straight on my CC, plus I had £110 left in my Steam Wallet that was left over from Xmas - that cushioned it a little.

10 minutes ago I planted a seed in my partners head about a table we have in a spare room. All we use it for is to put random ‘stuff’ on that we’ll hardly ever use. I suggested that the room would look better minus the table ... I didn’t mention Room Scale VR, but it’ll probably click when a big box from Valve arrives.

The_Crapman and jb0 like this.
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Maybe not so much: Valve were very careful in describing the Index' FoV as "20° more than Vive" rather than giving an absolute value (acceptable, FoV has way too much variance to put a single number on it. Vive at stock had significant additional eye relief (adjustable closer using the side knob) to allow for glasses, at the cost of FoV. Index achieves its greater FoV using the same physical sized and shaped (lens optical centre in physical centre of lens) lenses but at a higher optical power by angling the display assemblies outward in order to allow the lenses to be moved physically closer to the eyes without hitting the face. The Vive's FoV was lens-edge-limited rather than screen-border-limited right up until the furthest inwards extent of travel (i.e. raising optical power has no effect on FoV except at maximum extent). If you're wearing glasses that are not also canted out in this way, the lenses will contact the outer edge and limit maximum possible FoV.
    tl;dr: Index achieves greater FoV via getting the lenses closer to your eyes. Glasses limit how close the lenses can get, so will have the same practical FoV as Vive.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I meant plays nice in that it actually fits over them. My Rift only sort-of does, and extended play sessions leave nosepad-shaped bruises on my nosed

10. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I pre-ordered. I got in for the first shipment wave. I would have loved 2160x2160 per eye like some of the other current headsets are doing and foveated rendering, but I hear 120hz is a worthy tradeoff.

I've had a Vive since launch and loved it. I honestly thought we would have had a Valve VR title by now. I'm not holding my breath for their VR title coming out this year.

11. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Hopefully, with all the 1 & 2p's I'm saving from selling trading cards on the Steam Store, I've worked out I should be able to buy one in... oh ... about 2029 :) When we'll all probably be living in virtual reality, anyway ;-)

12. p0rn5tar

p0rn5tar What's a Dremel?

HL3 confirmed!

Tags: Add Tags