1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Cheapaz Chips Season 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MLyons, 7 May 2019.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Seeing what BT can do, as in you, sir? XD

MLyons likes this.
  3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If I had the internet (and boards for my cheap processors) I'd love to turn up numbers. As it is, I can try to get my FM1 processor to someone... not sure I have anything else that's useful but if I do I'll see whether I can send out what's useful.

MLyons likes this.
  4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If anyone wants any more info feel free to ask, I'm one of the admins for it :)

Whilst I won't be doing it due to time, I did previous ones and they're good fun, excuse to try hard modding a gpu, playing around with more 'extreme' cooling methods etc on something that won't break the bank if things go a little wonky.

MLyons likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Myself with a 54DBa vantec tornado, earphones and if that isn't enough a very large radiator and a generic vga block. Maybe some help from dogbert as well.
    You don't need much Internet. Only the gpu and the scores discount CPU
    I knew I recognised the name when I saw it last night but couldn't place it. I've got a few questions actually.
    How would we go about submitting, On my personal account or make a dedicated bit-tech account?
    Can you give a list of GPUs?
    Does the 4 core limit include hyper threading or not?

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  6. GeorgeStorm

Submitting is completely up to you, I would suggest anyone wanting to take part to create their own account, then if they fancy getting involved in more hwbot stuff they can :)
    It's anything with a cedar core I believe was decided in the end, so that could be 5450, 6350, 7350 I believe, possibly others as well. Any questions over a specific card and you can look at the hwbot database to check, or use the TPU gpu database which we tend to base things off.
    In general on hwbot, core limits are physical cores only, so HT is allowed. The benches have tried to be selected to it shouldn't make too much of a difference hopefully.

7. MLyons

Cheers. I'll use my personal account and possibly sort out a bit-tech team then.Been looking on eBay for the cards. From my current research the card is memory limited so getting the GDDR3 version instead of the DDR3 version seems important. The DDR3 versions go for about £7 and the GDDR3 go for about £20. Need to work out how on earth I'm going to get 4 cores at 5GHz then learn how to volt mod. I reckon a vantec tornado it only going to take me so far and I don't have a universal waterblock so I need to sort out a loop or DIY heatsink as well.

8. TheMadDutchDude

I have a 5450... I’ll give it a go. XD

I actually used to hold the second fastest 5450 in the past. It was limited by my CPU score.

9. MLyons

That's been my issue overclocking so far and why I'm interested in this comp. From what I can see my CPU shouldn't hold me back

10. GeorgeStorm

For hwbot there are normally enough categories/combinations you can take part and not feel too limited in my opinion :)
    Got into it with s775 and would happily recommend that to anyone wanting to start taking it a bit more competitively.
    Sadly a lot of 3D benchmarks require a fast or big cpu in order to not be hamstrung.

11. MLyons

I've got an e3300 or phenom x6 1045t available in test benches at home. Both not on great overclocking boards. I really need to work out a cheap system for GPU scores

12. MLyons

Bought a selection of HD 5450 cards on eBay with my coupons so ended up getting 3 for £10. Also have my vantec tornado. Just need to learn to volt mod now an possibly how to mount a better cooler or get watercooling bits.

13. GeorgeStorm

I now have dedicated oc stuff so my daily is nice and safe, reliable etc
    As it turns out my oc stuff is far more powerful than my daily hah, but it doesn't have to be, it's easy to start, and there's a pretty natural progression as you get more interested, you can get better equipment/improved cooling etc.
    Nice, look forward to seeing how you get on.

14. MLyons

Cards have arrived. Ebay said the 16th but I suspected they'd arrive quicker. First attempts will be tonight.

15. MLyons

Indeed it is. As they're cheap if I blew one up its about £3 down the drain so a lot of fun. I want to learn to volt mod as well

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  16. GeorgeStorm

Only has to be stable enough to pass the benchmark :)

17. TheMadDutchDude

It seems that they still want $15 to $20 per GPU... dayum!

I know that the MSI's do pretty well...

18. MLyons

I had some eBay vouchers so manged to get discounts. I'm also currently 8th so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Seem to be stuck at 850/900 core and 950 mem. Not sure how I'm going to get around it as I don't think it's temp

19. TheMadDutchDude

You need to volt mod. ;)

I stuck my Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (?) on to the core... temps never went much above 30c. The die was too small to efficiently put heat into the heatsink. That did get me over 1400 MHz on the core, though. :D

20. MLyons

1400 core on the 5450 in a benchmark? I might strap a wraith max to it then