1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Friend of mine had an M135i she thought it was too slow (coming from a Porsche Caymen R) so got it mapped along with some other toys like a new downpipe an catback system so it was seeing about 450. Comically fast, though now shes gone backward an got an Up GTi so my family diesel is quicker (yay).

I get what you mean about the S3 being souless seems most of the cars on that platform mine included are very dull to drive understeery neutral and does everything it can to detach you from the feel of the car. No DSG here thankfully.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can't park so no c class for me

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

No C class for me either, cant bring myself to part with the money :)

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I simply wouldn't want a car that big, an Audi A3 would suit me better.

A comment from Autocar on cars getting bigger: "Almost unbelievably, this 3 Series is wider and taller than was the original 7 Series 40 years ago, and it’s as long as a 5 Series from 30 years back. Small it ain’t." (Ref, 2019 G20 3 Series)

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've got a C-Class (C350e) and would consider it a plenty big car, I use it to transport myself and occasionally a laptop or crate of Stella, but it's perfectly comfortable for four adult passengers.

I like the idea of the 1 series saloon as a return to what the 3 series used to be, but no-one seems to be buying them?

I parked next to a 7 series at the services recently and thought he'd parked a bit close to the line, turns out the car is just massive and it was parked as best it could be in that size of space :lol:

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

+ Multi-storey car parks and drive-thrus

#bigcarproblems

Last edited: 11 May 2019
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That was pretty much it. Here's hoping he wasn't a fat old man.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The 7 series makes the Mondeo estate look small. That's absurd.

10. Mister_Tad

Not this for quite some time...

[​IMG]

An oncoming vehicle turning right seems to have temporarily forgotten other cars exist :/

Initial assessment is that it's repairable, as there's no obvious drivetrain damage. Fortunately it was a tall vehicle so hit the top of the wheel, may not have been the same scenario if it had hit it square on the hub.

Still gutted, but at least I'll see her again.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You were far more fortunate than I was back in January / February...
    [​IMG]

12. Mister_Tad

I'm not sure I was... looks largely comparable?

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That car was a total loss.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to blag the best courtesy car possible.

15. Mister_Tad

I didn't fuss too much. Got a C220d and it's fine. Though for a £35k+ car, it's not as nice inside as I would have expected. Feels kinda like a £25k car with a £10k badge stuck to it to be honest - a high-specced focus is a nicer place to be. But... it's fine.

I normally wouldn't have needed a loaner, however I have family visiting this week so need something big to ferry them around (i.e. the 7er) and Mrs_Tad doesn't want to park the Lotus at her uni (and nor do I), so it has come in handy.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I dunno I'd trust a Lotus to a Uni. car park, either... students + too much alcohol over the weekend = absence of inhibition + increased potential for devilment + increased likelihood for damage/defilement/debasement of said pride & joy.

17. Mister_Tad

I was right about the "quite some time" bit - back tomorrow after just over 6 weeks in repair!

IanW likes this.
  18. Mister_Tad

Farewell, my noisy friend...
    [​IMG]

It went back in to the shop after a couple of weeks, as I didn't realise when I checked it out initially the audio wasn't working. I got the call yesterday to tell me it's all fixed again, but in the 4 months it's been away we've been getting on fine without it (even abstaining from the courtesy car for the last 6 weeks) and eventually stopped missing it. I'd been thinking it would be a good idea to change it for something else as since the Evora has come along and dethroned it as the "wanna go fast" car, it's just been doing commuting duties, which would be fine if not for the fact that it's super expensive to run.

So I asked them to make me an offer to keep it there, and they made a very fair one.

If anyone fancies a fast wagon that's been well looked after, give 'er a good home.
    https://www.marshall.co.uk/volvo/used-cars/10551740-volvo-v60-t6-350-polestar-5dr-geartronic/

As for what's replacing it, my wife has stolen my 7er for her commuting duties and I'm thinking I'll embrace my inner American and get a truck.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The famvan - Vauxhall Zafira Tourer, the car so popular it was discontinued about six weeks after I bought mine - is going in for a recall. Apparently the roof rails have a tendency to... detach. Which makes me happy I never got around to adding a roof box, really.

20. Mister_Tad

Amongst the the QA functional testing points for roof rails, "does it stay stuck to the car" seems like it should have been pretty high on the list.

Arboreal, Mr_Mistoffelees and David like this.