1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The problem I have with Genre>Band>Album, even aside from sub-genres, is that in many cases you either end up with bands spread across multiple genres, or some albums in the wrong genre for the sake of being in the same band folder.

Band>Album for me... and let playback software do its job from tags and interwebs metadata.

Hex, IanW, Fingers66 and 1 other person like this.
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yep, this is how I do it. Let the tags deal with anything beyond band, album and track name.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My music folder is organised by Band>Album and Foobar 2000 set to Folder Structure. Anything else and Foobar seems to get confused...

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I did used to get super technical with my metal genres (The Metal folder is ~90gb, which is more than the other folders combined), but I got fed up with having to remember what subgenre of metal <insert band> was because they described themselves as post-black thrash death zombie butthole or something.

I mean, my "pop" folder has just as much rap in it as it does "pop", but since it all fell more into 'popular music' to my mind than it did anything else, that's where it went.

I've done that, too, but then I'd run into weird playlist structure because I dump it all into one Foobar playlist, and as much as I like shuffle, I found it somewhat jarring to go from Corey Hart to Corpse****ing Art. It doesn't help that being lazy (And for a few years without a DVD/CD drive to my name) I'd just grab a torrent of whatever album I'd bought, and well. You can't trust internet folk to tag things to your liking (Which, incidentally, is the next task - But I think I can automate that so I'm not so fussed), so I've never relied on anything automated.

I've not had many problems with Foobar - Except that it reads tags that my A&K won't, so a lot of my FLAC rips show up dandy in Foobar, but with two thirds of the tags missing in the A&K

Also, my structure works best for me on the A&K, as I pretty much robocopy the Music folder to a microSD and sling it in the player. I can't do shuffle on it because it has some goofy 10,000 track limit on its playlists, so I tend to shuffle genres or bands.

Last edited: 12 May 2019
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Artist -> Album/EP -> Disk [if multiple] -> Track

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

You forgot Pirate metal...

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's folk metal imo :thumb:

Mister_Tad and liratheal like this.
  8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Wash your mouth out with Rum! :p

Byron C likes this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Found a Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Display for £35! Always wanted one so snapped it up. Time for some retro goodness!

Arboreal and Hex like this.
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Weekend was an annual sportive, not only was I quicker by some mark but felt fine an not like I was about to die after.
    Would have been quicker if I hadn't done the right thing an slowed down for horses, unlike a load of the others who scared the crap out of them.
    Maths came out as a couple MPH quicker over the route which totals out to just over 20 minutes. Happy with that getting closer to the magic 20mph average.

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

[​IMG]

Yesterday i finally got out on the boat, forgot to put the water plug in so while i was parking the car my mate phoned and said she’s already sinking! So had to bucket out quite a few litres of water before we set off haha, engine pull worked absolutely fine and i wasn’t expecting much from a 20hp engine but she absolutely flew to the point where if you weren’t anchored or holding on you’d fly off the back! Was worried about running out of fuel but when we got back we only used less than half of the tank which provides what i was going for a cheap day out!

I think we had about 9 sailing yachts pass us and only 1 didn’t smile or acknowledge us, a Princess yacht passed us absolutely flying, made waves that hit us side on nearly tipping us over.

Only caught a Starfish but it certainly beats blanking
    [​IMG]

Vault-Tec, Arboreal, adidan and 3 others like this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is literally the only thing I can think of in response:

[​IMG]

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sent home a whole 15mins early from work yesterday after standing around outside for half an hour.

3:15pm - Some numpty truck driver reversed into an above ground gas main control valve about 50m from my workplace. Evacuated to road behind cordon (workplace was within cordon)
    3:45pm - Police decide it's safe enough to let us back in to grab our car keys etc.

Downside - No kaboom. Office still here this morning.

MLyons likes this.
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Encountered my first 'Howard' stock photo in the real world.

It was far more interesting than the guy reading, at least.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

And another £4k winging it's way to me :clap:

adidan likes this.
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

We had something sort of similar an electrical junction box transformer thing went pop in our carpark. Got a day off but told we could go in the next day, what they forgot to tell us was the carpark was now filled by a dirty great diesel generator trailer which is noisy an right next to the office.
    When I say big, this is basically what we found.

[​IMG]

Plus side we got lots of time off due to diesel fumes in the office.

MLyons likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My first sleep in for over two months and the first in this flat. Of course it's caused me issues but man that felt good. I did the stairs four times yesterday, then a fifth to go and buy some sweets so I guess I needed it.

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Boating! Great stuff, have fun and take care out there with big waves and large boats wash trying to tip you over.
    Must get out fishing and get my son water skiing again this year, happy days on the water.
    I am teaching Powerboat Level 2 Thurs & Fri this week, and it looks like great weather to be out of the office :grin:
    Hope you have safety kit with you out at sea. Life jackets / buoyancy aids (if you must), mobile phone in waterproof bag, let someone know where you're going and when you're due back
    /Safety Boat Guy

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Radio, too, and knowledge of the channel that the coastguard is on!