1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows final fantasy xi

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_BaCoN, 4 Nov 2003.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

anyone played this game yet? it looks pretty good from what i've seen, but i'm very anti-pay-to-play-games, so it's got to be pretty good for me to buy it, then continue to pay for it. so anyone played it??

2. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

My friend and I are thoroughly enjoying the game right now, almost two weeks into playing it. I don't quite understand everyones anti pay to play deal. People pay $50 for a cell phone or 100$ for cable but $10 is too much to spend on a game that you might play 8hrs a day? It is well worth the $10 to me :D

3. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

wait - it's only $10 a month?? is that US?? if it's good (and it looks like it is) then i could afford the $10 a month. it's just that some games are around $25-30 a month, and i think that's a bit ridiculous

still think they should give the game for free or cheaper though...

maybe i'll get this game for xmas!

4. ivan2740

The release price for these games is quite rediculous, I agree. $53.95 with one free month. If they are going to charge monthly it should be a free game! :lol:

5. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

*Curses at Ivan*

then asks if each one game needs a different code to play :worried: :idea: :D Or is said person could borrow said object and load said object on to said PC :hehe:

6. ivan2740

Hehe :lol:
    You've gotta buy your own copy to play unfortunately :wallbash:

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I understand that for this type of game the company has to run and maintain the servers but $10 a month on top of the purchase price, hmmmmmm $120 / year for one game.

Won't sound so good if other companies start the same practice, picture the sceen if you have 5 or 6 such games.

8. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

For subscription based games (with no single player alternative) such as MMORPG's etc, I think it's cheeky expecting you to pay £30+ for the game seeing as it's useless on it's own. £10 is a fair price including a 30day trial subscription.
    Or they should be freely downloadable, with no trial subscription included.

9. ivan2740

Yeah, thats what Lineage did. It gave its software out for free and even included the cd in many products for free. You get to play for like a week or two and then you have to start paying... they got alot of people this way :blah:

10. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

yeah, that would work much better. say i go buy ffxi - i get a free month's subscription and i play, but don't like it. that's $50 down the drain. but for the free download games, all i waste is the time i spent downloading

11. ivan2740

I do enjoy the game though. Its the normal slow paced combat that all mmorpgs are using now :sigh: but other than that.. There is basically no endgame. You could play it forever, because any char can do anything. Its a nice system that is much less limiting and your char can't be ruined because you were dumb at the begining.

I just don't understand why developers are using this slow paced combat style, it really doesnt hold anyones attention. Ultima Online and MAYBE Asherons Call are the only two mmorpgs with a proper combat system :miffed:

12. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

ivan, first off, what do you mean by slow fight system? is it like the other FF games where you take turns attacking?

also, how does the storyline work out? is there a set storyline (of course there's probably multiple ones) or is there really much of a storyline other than "we've got to defeat this dragon!! :eeek: " etc, etc. also, do you have a "party", or do you only control one person and other people online make up your party? (which means you'd have a different party every time you play)

13. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I do suppose though that they have to cover the initial costs of the game making and then make some extra like normal. The the 10 bucks a month of suppost isn't so bad. Im not to anrgy about paying 10-15 a month as long as there aren't bugs or they work hard to fix them and that there is good support.

Ivan is not apt on the other FF's lol. the slow system is for morons like me who can't beat people like you at PvPing on AC or UO :hehe: :hehe:

Tags: