1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Aluminium Welding/Fabrication help - Pictures Enclosed.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mojo, 12 Nov 2018.

1. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Hoping someone a modding enthusiast can help me!

Unrelated to computers - but I'm trying to build an aluminum frame to hold some car amplifiers in place for a project.

I've got a few drawings and the ideas on paper but would need some assistance in cutting (what i think would probably be best.. 10mm) strips and welding it together. I can't see it would take more than a couple of hours but I'm happy to pay whatever the going rate is to get the job done :)

Anyone able to help out? happy to drive anywhere within reason! or even take a hundred pictures/measurements and pay for it to be collected instead.

I'm based in Basingstoke/Reading
    Basically, I have a classic mini - very rare being only 74 of them were made. This is 1 of 2 which has had a Janspeed conversion to 's' spec. I am trying to make this show worthy.. including the stereo. We've just renovated the engine, painted the bay and looking to all go back in....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will have 3 amplifiers - Genesis SM60 x 2 - which will deal with the front end and a Genesis Dual Mono which will deal with low pass duties. A 3rd will be an empty casing to hold a fuse box and trip switch etc (currently missing badge)

I intend to have these fit onto an aluminum framework at 45 degrees and spaced so that you see the badge on each amp. This, in turn, will sit in a boot build (The picture below shows a subwoofer but this will not be the case for me as I have twin tanks - I'll negotiate to have the amp rack countersunk in the center, making it nice and secure but also to allow me to hide cables. It'll be finished with a burr walnut top on Black carpet.)

I envisaged a frame made of 10mm square aluminum. Square base with 3 sets of uprights at 45-degree angles. Thoughts? Would steel work? or is aluminum the best way to go? *shrugs!?*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Jeesus man that's the sweetest mini ive seen ! I wish i could help you just to get a chance to see that car IRL

I like the idea and the hardware. As i stupidly missed this post some how i imagine you finished? love to see some pics.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Last edited: 26 Dec 2018
  4. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Sorry guys, i've been slacking at replying.

As luck would have it.. i managed to find a alu welder man who assisted in putting everything together for me. Very nicely tig welded it up. I'll get some pictures up. It's slowly coming together just had other life problems come up. Now have all the amps as needed and still just need to drill and tap the holes in preparation.

Started work on some of the wood work surrounding the rest of the boot.. so maybe will add this to the modding section and do a proper write up :)

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

[​IMG] So following on from my ideas above. This was the sketch. The idea is for the base to have a nice bit of burr walnut as a surround too.

[​IMG] like this...

Mr welder doing his work...

[​IMG]

and the outcome...

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped one of the rear casings to hide all the cables/fuses.

[​IMG]

Mockup of all the amps should sit once i've managed to drill and tap the frame. Slow progress as had a holiday in between and then christmas.

[​IMG]

all the kit to go into the car...

[​IMG]

Started working on the subwoofer as well.. box made... fascia made which follows the contours of the boot. Also countersinks the subwoofer. Picture below is pre countersinking. Looks tidy when its been carpeted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guest-56605 likes this.
  6. TodMod

TodMod Minimodder

Amazing work

7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

nice

8. Pretizx

Pretizx What's a Dremel?

wow great work!