1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What pump is suitable for a CPU and SLi

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Peter187, 7 Oct 2018.

1. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Hi All

I decided to pull my old X58 out of the cupboard as i found a fix for the mobo and it runs as per normal. I ended up buying two second hand GTX690's for extra cheap plus free postage.

I ordered two bykski GPU water blocks after reading some reviews and watching a few youtube videos on that brand plus they are the only one's selling water blocks for a GTX690, but need some help with choosing a suitable pump as I've never done liquid cooling for CPU and SLi.

Thanks

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Well my first question wouldn't be so much what pump is suitable, rather how many radiators will you be using and what manufacturer are they...?

a) 690's in SLi are going to produce a sh*t load of heat to dissipate.
    b) Some radiators are more flow restrictive than others (some CPU blocks and most certainly GPU blocks will further kill flow rate).
    c) Dependant apon how restrictive your loop is will then dictate your choice of pump.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Oct 2018
    cobalt6700 likes this.
  3. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

thanks for the reply but I haven't chosen any other parts as yet but radiators are well priced so I'm not too concerned about which one's to buy. How about something like

1x EK Coolstream PE 360
    1x EK Coolstream PE 240
    Thermaltake Pacific W4 CPU water clock.

Feel free to recommend some parts.

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

EK Coolstream PE's are meh in terms of cooling and are only designed for push config fans, front and backing them wont gain you much performance boost either - personally if I were going for rads of that thickness I'd go with HWLabs Nemesis GTS's.

In terms of cooling, you should ideally spec 120/140 of radiator surface area per CPU/GPU to be cooled plus an additional 120/140 buffer; in this instance by using a 360 and 240 your running the bare minimum.

I have no first hand experience with TT CPU blocks, my own preference has always been Aquacomputer; what CPU are you cooling? Are you intending on overclocking?

Given the level of loop restriction I'm thinking you'll need a pair of DDC's LINK, a single DDC or D5 won't do the job and you'll need the head pressure of the DDC's to overcome the flow restriction.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Oct 2018
    TheMadDutchDude and cobalt6700 like this.
  5. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

No better then a swiftech p655 $123 with variable speed output..mines going on 10 years now Flawlessly....threw dual 120x3 rads,gpu,and cpu blocks setting always on 1 (min).

Been running sooooo many hot cpu and gpu combos with it threw the years.

Just bought a spare for the closet,I cannot belive how LONG they last.

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

The Swiftech P655 (Laing D5 Vario) Is a great pump, I’ve had one for 10 years running flawlessly. I would suggest two pumps on the one loop to make sure you had a good flow rate with that many components.

I also agree with 23RO_UK, you want to be spec’ing 130/140 per CPU/GPU chip, and another 120/140 on top. The Nemisis GTS is a good rad, I have one in my current rig (4970k/980ti) with an EK 280 XTC and get good overclocked temps on a low fan speed.

I’m guessing 1x360 and 1x240 is the limit of the case you have? If so - fit the thickest rads and best static pressure fans you can afford.

If not (and you are yet to spec a case) then I would go with being able to fit the biggest rads you can (some people don’t want/can’t afford a massive case) and at least 2x 360. I would personally spec 2x420’s.

Looking forward to seeing it - sounds like a cool looking system your going to end up with :thumb:

(No pun intended)

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

A 655 or a DDC preferably PWM for either should be sufficient. I'd go with dual pumps purely for redundancy. PWM helps reduce noise levels as well as pump wear.

The more rad space then in theory the lower the fan speeds if low noise is what you're aiming for.

8. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

I got 4 laing d5 vario pumps cooling my rig....best pumps ever :thumb:

Thewelder likes this.
  9. Thewelder

Thewelder What's a Dremel?

U know!! :)

10. TodMod

TodMod Minimodder

11. TodMod

TodMod Minimodder

12. Pretizx

Pretizx What's a Dremel?

go with The Swiftech P655 is a great pump!

13. SHNS0

SHNS0 Enter Plasma

D5 is the best, DDC if you need space and compactness

14. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

D5 is the best pump for watercooling,for normal and the most complicated loops

15. bolous

bolous What's a Dremel?

mine pump is a ten years old pump 655 switftech and it works great yet... now the best is D5

16. delevic

delevic What's a Dremel?

17. Tiggerlator

Tiggerlator What's a Dremel?

had a DDC, running gpu block, cpu block, 280mm rad, and 240mm rad, but the flow was crap. switched to a ek D5 vario, and the flow is much much better. on 5 it is mental. running it on 3 and the flow is miles better than the DDC was

18. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket What's a Dremel?

Just like many others have said any Laing D5 pump will do the job you need for many years.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ