1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wish there was any possibility of him going to jail over that ***********.

In an ideal world, for me, he'd win the leadership race on the same day as being sentenced to a few years in jail. Just to cement how ass-backwards politics is in the UK right now.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Being accused of 'misconduct in public office' probably makes him mor popular in certain circles...

liratheal likes this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would be funny to see Boris get a life sentence, maybe it would make politicians think twice about knowingly telling lies.

AFAIK misconduct in public office carries a life sentence.

4. RedFlames

Maybe we could have him deported... is he not technically american?

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd rather keep him in the uk.

Up to his middle chin in a bucket of ****.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It really f's me off when you hear "pundits"/"commentators"/journalists talking about how BoJo, Farage, et al, can get a lot of mileage out of playing the anti-establishment or "outsider" card. WTAF? Where do these people get these ideas, and why in the hell do people believe them?

Nigel Farage is an ex City of London trader and has been in politics for nearly 20 years. Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is the son of wealthy parents, was educated at Eton and Oxford, and has had numerous senior and well paid media positions. These people are the elite, these people are the establishment; open your ****ing eyes you bunch of idiots, these people are lying to you and don't give a flying **** about you.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's good for a laugh when anyone claims that "failing to deliver Brexit" would be political suicide. Delivering Brexit (and worse, a no-deal Brexit) would basically make your party persona-non-grata for the majority of the population for the rest of their voting lives. Everyone who has grown up with (and are currently growing up with) membership of the EU being the norm, and mostly immune to low-effort back-in-my-day rah-rah-nationalism, will not be quick to forgive having their future taken from them.

8. RedFlames

You forgot champions of the downtrodden - Jacob and Annunziata Rees-Mogg...

But you have the same **** on the other side of the aisle 'Corbyn isn't like these career New Labour Blairite types...'... piss off, he was first elected an MP at the same time as Blair [1983]... He's been an MP for 36 years, if that doesn't qualify as a career, **** knows what does...

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I think the point with Corbyn is that he's 'old school' (or just old), not that he's some hip new MP that joined up while New Labour was in full swing. For the party electorate that want Labour to return to a pre New Labour position (which by past votes has been the majority), that's seen as desirable. Whether the majority of the total electorate agrees? Not that the majority of the total electorate can't even agree what to have for breakfast tomorrow anyway....

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If we get a hard-Brexiteer as the leader of the Tory party who drags us kicking and screaming into a no-deal Brexit then, honestly, sometimes I think the country deserves it at this point. By voting for Farage's Latest Publicity Stunt, UKIP, Tories, etc, people are literally voting to: take food off their table, take even more money away from public services, destroy what's left of the NHS, make job and economic prospects even worse, roll back worker's rights like the working time directive and paid parental leave, etc... We keep listening to these idiots and we keep swallowing their lies and bull**** without question. If you keep shooting your toes off because you're not looking at where you're pointing the gun then you probably deserve to lose a whole foot.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here now, but millions of working families already have to rely on food banks to keep themselves fed or have to choose between putting the heating on or putting food on the table. People who are medically unfit to work are being forced back to work, despite the fact that it could be seriously detrimental to their health and despite the fact that people have died because of this. People who have poor public transport are having to spend hours walking for miles and miles in order to make appointments on time - if they don't make appointments on time then they have their benefits sanctioned and lose what little financial support they get.

Even in a no-deal Brexit I doubt very much that my other half and I would suffer much real hardship - we might have to cut a few things back and tighten the belt a bit, but I'm pretty confident that we'll be OK. We've worked out that we can pay off our debt within 30 months and by the time I start my new job my wages will have increased nearly 25% in just two years. In terms of the market rate my new salary is actually quite low, and if she can find the right role my other half can easily bag a 20-30% pay rise - frankly I think she's capable of adding at least 50% to what she earns now. So, yeah - we'll be OK.

On the other hand: millions of people won't be OK. Millions of people already aren't OK, and it's only going to go downhill for these people if we keep allowing the right-wing to run riot.

Based on the evidence I've seen since Corbyn became leader of the Labour party... Jeremy Corbyn couldn't lead his way out of a wet paper bag even if you tore the bag open for him and showed him the way out. He might be a great MP for Islington North and he might do a lot of good work there but he can't lead a party. Over the last three years the Tories have practically done the opposition's job for them yet Labour under Corbyn are completely incapable of capitalising on the innumerable ****ups the Tories blundered their way through. He can't even give a clear indication of the Labour Brexit policy despite a fairly clear mandate for Brexit being set at the last party conference!

11. RedFlames

Who'd have thunk electing the joke candidate as leader would go badly.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

People are stupid. They really are not that bright.

I'm not being nasty or condescending here. I mean, let's do an exercise. Pick an IQ at which you would consider someone to be reasonably bright. Not rocket scientist bright, not genius bright; just reasonably intelligent. Go on: pick a number before you read on.

Got it? Good. Now, having that number in mind, have a look at this here IQ curve. And see how many people in the general population are actually functioning at that level or above. And how many people are below that level.

See what I mean? It's a ****ing miracle the Brexit vote only got 52%.

13. RedFlames

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” --George Carlin

The_Crapman, liratheal and Nexxo like this.
  14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pretty much!

First, it's good that you and yours will be OK. We're being sensible ourselves and consolidating our position; today I learned that the Migration Advisory Committee recommended adding psychologists to jobs which make the Shortage Occupation List; immigrants with professions on this list are effectively allowed to jump the queue (hey Theresa, I guess I get to be a queue jumper after all!), and there is a huge shortage of psychiatric nurses so my wife will be good too.

Today I also learned that our neighbours sold their house. It was on the market for all of three days and they got asking price --which is a lot more than we originally paid for ours and matches the Zoopla estimate of our house value almost exactly. Looks like when it's time to retire and leave for Europe, we will be able to make a quick getaway and be able to buy a tidy farmhouse property in France. We'll be OK too.

Second: in a democracy people get the government they deserve (from the New York Times):
    And with that, dear Byron, I rest my case that people are stupid. As H.L. Mencken said:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

Last edited: 29 May 2019
  15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That's awesome. It's so simple too.

liratheal likes this.
  16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Corbyn has outlined what he thinks is the Labour strategy for Brexit:

Step 1: Unicorns
    Step 2: Corbyn in no 10
    Step 3: Magic
    Step 4: Negotiate a Customs Union with the EU (a cu, not remain in the cu, it is unclear if he understands the distinction and how long it could take)
    Step 5: Ask Parliament if they want to put it to a Confirmatory Referendum
    Step 6: Maybe if that Confirmatory Referendum fails he'll surrender his Lexit idea and come round to remain

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-labour-second-referendum-some-way-off-backs

Sounds like a very credible strategy, on opposite day as celebrated in his allotment.

17. RedFlames

Corbyn: I think we should back a...

Milne looms out of the darkness

...a second...

something mumbles in Corbyn's ear

...a second drinks machine in the canteen.

18. RedFlames

Labour learning you can't please everyone, but you can very easily piss everyone off -

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Step 0: If wind has changed direction, reshuffle steps 1 through 6

I mean, to be fair, even if that literally happened it still wouldn't wouldn't make the current top WTF moments in parliament currently. Though that's not saying much considering if Lord Buckethead became PM it wouldn't even register on the WTFdar at the moment.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Having to listen to the eejits at work talk about all this is incredibly trying. I can't talk about it with them because in my current fragile mental state I will end up assaulting someone. The level of understanding they have is reception class. One particularly ignorant oik was ranting today about how stupid the EU must be to not want to "negotiate the deal", as though the deal was something they picked up at carphone warehouse and they hadn't haggled at least a free phone case out pf them. They all seem to think leaving with no deal is a good thing, that somehow our failure to agree on terms after 2 years of negotiations and the shambolic bickering children our government has been shown to be, will put us in a stronger position when we come to agree trade deals with rotw.