1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows TV Shows I Should Watch...

Discussion in 'General' started by MadGinga, 12 Apr 2019.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

possibly been mentioned.

Firefly
    BSG 2003
    Gotham
    Full metal alchemist
    Line of Duty
    The wire
    Shield
    Breaking Bad
    Flash
    One Punch man

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bit of Necro action but Chenobyl, yeah we all know the plot but very compelling and grim. Opening few minutes sets up the rest of it (so far) perfectly.

Corky42 likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

All of these although I couldn't get in to BSG at all. I'm currently watching the Expanse, and if you're into hard scifi is one of the best if not the best! The way they actually deal with acceleration and gforces adds a whole new dimension.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Killing Eve. It's just brilliant.

Edwards and Bloody_Pete like this.
  5. creative

creative 500rwhp

on our watch list has been:

The 100 - end of the world survival and move planet stuff
    Travelers - coming from the future to control the past to fix the future
    continuum - cop from the future sent back in time and cant get back
    Pine Gap - australia/america radar defence team
    Marco Polo - genghis khan version of GoT
    The Umbrella academy - violent, very violent batman and robin superhero stuff.
    Luther - Gritty cop show following luther....this is bloody brilliant and had me hooked from e01!

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ok... People have probably mentioned these before now, but here goes...
    • Babylon 5 - Just look past the ropey effects & CG, the story and character development is brilliant
    • Firefly (and Serenity) - Can't call yourself a sci-fi fan if you haven't seen this, regardless of what you think of it!
    • Star Trek The Next Generation - Need I say more...?
    • Star Trek Deep Space 9 - At times DS9 paints a much darker and more believable version of Rodenberry's utopian Federation. Up to you if you want to follow up with Voyager though...
    • Battlestar Galactica (reboot) - SO SAY WE ALL!
    • Stargate SG-1 - Long slog to get through all 10 seasons, but it has some great characters and story lines - don't mind "The Farscape Cast Reunion" that the last two series seemed to turn into...
    • Stargate Atlantis - Takes a while to find its feet, but a fine addition to the SG1 "universe".
    • Stargate Universe - This divides opinion because it's such a departure from the tone and setting of SG1 & ATL, but I really liked it - took the franchise in an interesting direction and a damn shame that SyFy killed it
    • The Orville - Stick with it, the whole "Seth MacFarlane-ness" of the show does get toned down somewhat, but keeps the occasional fart joke or knob gag to make you chuckle every now and then
    • The Expanse - Freaking awesome hard sci-fi, can't wait for Season 4
    • The West Wing - Fantastic show, I'd never seen it until I met my other half
    • Red Dwarf - If you haven't watched any of this yet then get out. Srsly.
    • Black Books - Dylan Moran's schtick gets a bit repetitive in the later series, but Bill Bailey never fails to shine
    • Spaced - I really have to watch this again, it's so under-appreciated
    • The IT Crowd - Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
    • Game of Thrones - On the whole I'd say this is worth watching
    • Vikings - aka, The History Channel's attempt at jumping on the Thrones bandwagon - I enjoyed it though

These are all anime, so up to you if you're into that sort of thing
    • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Closer to the original manga than the first iteration. Damn emotional at times - looks like it's starting to rain...
    • Hellsing Ultimate - Again, closer to the manga than the original series
    • Neon Genesis Evangelion - Archetypal "big mech" anime and a must-watch IMO. Just... try not to get caught up in all the numerous attempts they've had at "re-doing" the ending... and don't expect the final "reboot" film to come any time soon, it seems...
    • Eureka Seven - Watched this when it was being broadcast (in Japan) and I really enjoyed it
    • Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex - Much more room to explore the concepts in GITS than the films had - watch the spin-off films as well.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

These are in a rough order:

1. Band of Brothers - the greatest thing ever on a screen.
    2. The Wire
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Stranger Things
    5. True Detective
    6. Fargo
    7. Narcos
    8. Boardwalk Empire
    9. Peaky Blinders
    10. Westworld
    11. Firefly
    12. Altered Carbon
    13. Rome
    14. Battlestar Galactica
    15. Money Heist
    16. Dark
    17. Ozark
    18. Luther
    19. House
    20. Sons of Anarchy

Special mention to 'Stargate Universe' I was a big fan, but certainly not to everyone's taste.

Also really liked the Expanse for one of the best sci-fi out there.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just bought a treadmill and, for the time being, I've set it at a medium incline and I walk while watching an episode of The Expanse - so about 42-43 minutes per session. Yeah, it's a slow start but I'm old and fat and, after three sessions so far, it feels like a good way to start.

Problem is, I was already re-watching season three when I got the treadmill, so I'm going to run out of material within a week.

This thread could be a goldmine, however, if anyone has a lead on interesting similar length science/natural history shows/lectures etc.. it could be a great alternative. Obvs, I've already seen (and will likely re-watch) most of the stuff put out by David Attenborough and Brian Cox over the last ten years or so, but I'm open to suggestions.

:)

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Horizon, although they're an hour long. I really want to recommend Flash Forward for a good sci-fi watch, but the fact it got binned after the first season with nothing resolved is a very large caveat.

10. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Stargate Atlantis/Universe - whilst SG1 has run the longest, it's far from my favourite, so I only really enjoyed the latter Ben Browder/Claudia Black seasons
    Farscape - Again Ben Browder and Claudia Black, an astronaut from Earth gets propelled into a different dimension and all manner of shenanigans happen
    Good Omens - it's the end of the world as we know it, and everything is not fine... Amazing work from David Tennant and Michael Sheen, the young cast perform admirably, beautifully adapted by Gaiman, a rabid fanboy, me? How very accu...dare you!
    Firefly - I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will not shut up about this show.
    The Expanse - Chrisjen's voice, and the emotional investment in finding Julie in S1.
    The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell - a cookery show with a twist. If you like classic Henson puppetry, cooking shows and gothic/spooky stuff, this is the perfect storm. Also has some very desirable women in it (Dita Von Teese, and the titular host.)

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

...Really? You preferred The Farscape Reunion seasons...?

Well I guess there's no accounting for taste :grin: :thumb:

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Thanks for the recommendation for Christine McConnell. Laughed till I choked.

13. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

They're the ones I watched with any consistency. I liked it as a whole, but those were the ones that seemed to appeal the most after watching Atlantis/Universe.

She's an absolute darling! Just gutted that they cancelled it after/during the airing of S1. There will be no more Curious Creations as we know it :'(.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I can see how you'd come to that conclusion. I was a huge fan of the original film, so you bet your arse I'm going to watch the spin-off TV show right from the start.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, I just stated watching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time in my 53-year old life (yay, Netflix!), and it is officially awesome.

Byron C likes this.
  16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Currently rewatching Justified, would recommend, reminded me to rewatch Deadwood as well as I like Timothy Olyphant.