1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Microsoft Surface Go - Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 29 May 2019.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Does anyone have any experience with the Microsoft Surface Go?

I'll be travelling shortly and while away however I still need to be available to my customers.

I have been looking at the Surface Go as it provides the form factor I need at a reasonable price and with it being Windows I can install all the necessary software I would need.

The main useage would be web based applications and some adobe software.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've heard mostly good things about it, so long as you don't get the bottom of the range offering [the 4GB RAM/64GB eMMC storage one], the eMMC storage hobbles it somewhat.

3. bolous

bolous What's a Dremel?

I have a Surface Pro 4 and it can be a great product, but after 2 years it had a big issue (famous flickering): Assistence doesn't help me (microsoft should change my surface with another working... this issue was officially recognized). Now i'm using it with an external monitor, only in home...
    i'll never buy another Microsoft's hardware (bad assistence), but i can say it's a great product (without issue): mobility, x86, monitor, form factor...

4. hayate89

hayate89 What's a Dremel?

and it is not cheap........

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Another warning for the low spec ones, really painful to use and I only did basic testing when setting up for imaging at work so I'm doubtful you'd get much adobe product performance.

6. bolous

bolous What's a Dremel?

Absolutely!! Maybe.. if i should get a new 2in1 now... I'll choose the new Dell (very expensive too).
    Cheaper... Asus? Huawei? Samsung? :eyebrow:

7. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I've been using the 8GB/128GB model since launch last August and bought the type cover about 6 weeks ago (since I'm now based in America & really hate the US keyboard layout, so I bought the UK model before leaving).

It's pretty reasonable and is now my main mobile consumption device, though about half as fast as my 2015 HP laptop with a Skylake Core i7 mobile CPU. Battery isn't fantastic - 6 hours max and it has just the one USB port (3.0, type C) so keep adapters in mind should you need them.

It also can struggle when the CPU gets to 90% or more use which is pretty easy with 25+ tabs open in Edge, so I suspect Chrome may be worse. It's bad to the point that it simply refuses to do anything until Edge is closed and it can force close/crash Edge when that happens (something that the laptop, despite having the same amount of RAM, has never suffered from).

I also find it can struggle to power my 4TB external HDD, a 2.5" USB 3.0 Seagate model, on battery only (works about 50% of the time when the battery is fully charged) but have had no issues when on mains power. As I've found now I'm in the US, the Power adapter is also dual voltage so no issues on messing around with transformers or spending the $40 asking price for the US power adapter.

Also, the speakers are fantastic for a tablet, both front firing. The display is also more than sharp enough and I'm definitely in favour of the 3:2 aspect ratio as being the best choice for a tablet or laptop.

The type cover is nice and the backlight is a massive bonus over the Bluetooth keyboard I was using - that said, Bluetooth performance has been faultless over the 8+ months that I was using it with the Surface Go.

It's a good buy and tbh I prefer it as my mobile PC than replaced my £1k+ laptop despite that being a faster machine - however it definitely has limitations and I wouldn't recommend it for heavy lifting. It's definitely a more consumption based device and I suspect that for creation other devices with a better CPU would be worth the likely extra cost. I guess it depends on which Adobe software you're planning on using but full Photoshop/Premiere may be too much for it if you're multitasking.

8. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

I have the Lenovo Miix520, 8Gb/256Gb/i5-8250U and I have had no problems with it at all.
    Been using for Office, Web, VidConf, sys admin and even run VirtualBox for multiple VM's off a USB3 external HD - never missd a beat. Even came with a decent backlit keyboard, stylus and slip case.
    USB3 and USB-C on board. It also has a MicroSD card slot that I have used as a OneDrive store as it is fairly static.

Only down side? No USB-C charging, so a separate charger to humpff around.

Really can't say about the sound, I work in a shared office so headphones are the order of the day and it has a standard jack output.

All the best
    S.