1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Are Amazon Warehouse items worth a look?

Discussion in 'General' started by Arboreal, 5 May 2019.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still not sufficiently informed whether it's worth a flyer.
    It's a motherboard that's £133 at the moment, with a 'damaged' box one at £105 currently.
    Can't decide whether it's worth the warranty risk on that saving.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Depends who is selling, if it is Amazon themselves then go for it, their no quibble returns policy gives you reassurance.

If it is another seller, buyer beware, there are some shysters on there.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Generally they can be bit hit and miss quality wise (they don't seem to check things as thoroughly as a smaller retailer might). However all Amazon Warehouse Deals are covered by Amazon's return policy, so as long as you don't mind the possible inconvenience (ymmv) of a relatively high chance of needing to make a no cost return for a refund then it's worth a shot.

Not totally sure how it effects manufacturers warranties though.

In this case it it would worry me a little more with something like a motherboard where you can't be 100% sure of it's functionality until you are in the deep end of a build.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

AFAIK it's Amazon, but a return may be a PITA as suggested

Thanks fellas, you both have clarified my thoughts. It's now apparent that a full warranty on something as complex as a motherboard isn't worth compromising on.

I'll pass and as I'm not in a hurry see if the price softens a bit while I sort out some DDR4.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive purchased some tools etc, they were all sold directly buy amazon and returns was not an issue.
    i also got and table saw angle reader thing which stoped working in a day. the 3rd party seller was good about it

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

When they test items they literally see if they are alive. Nothing is tested for function so YMMV. I've had about 5 bum orders now so don't bother any more. It used to be much cheaper now it's not worth the risk. I'll go into more detail when I'm on a PC.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Interesting to hear all this, the moment has passed for the item I needed at the time...
    Again, I think savings on anything complex will be not worth the lack of warranty and hassle of returns.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Off the top of my head..

Bitfenix Colossus - arrived fine.

HTPC case with 300w psu - PSU was dead.

GTX 670 - worked fine but wouldn't even OC 20mhz.

Electric planer - heel plate was twisted in the plastic body, no fixing it.

Einhell belt sander - worked for 20 seconds, then a big Blue spark shot out of the motor and it died.

MSI X99 SLI Plus! - worked fine.

Panasonic stereo - lit up and switched on. CD dead, radio faulty, Bluetooth faulty.

The irony is that each of the duff things I got were all explained in the reviews. Meaning I got someone's faulty item. IMO? It's not even worth the risk. It may not cost you money but you need to mess around sending things back now.

I kept the GTX 670 because it was for SLi and it was bloody cheap. £70 off RRP. But since then prices are creeping up to within around 5 percent of the new prices.

10. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Not only what Vault-tec said but it's been known to be completely the wrong item in the box, I ordered an lga 2011 board back in the day and what arrived was an old lga 1356 board, not best pleased but no issue returning. That was my one bad experience but I've had far more successful one with warehouse deals. Def pot luck though.

11. Pretizx

Pretizx What's a Dremel?

Amazon Warehouse is always worth!

12. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I normally take a punt on Warehouse items when there is a decent saving to be had, particularly when they have 20% during sales. Most of the items I've got have been fine, but I've also had a few shockers as well.