1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Application for job

Discussion in 'General' started by Jake123456, 31 May 2019.

1. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Hey guys,

Just need some advice..I've been working at my current job for 9 years and have only ever done one 2 applications which was for this role.

I'm just applying for another job and it asks for my reasons for wanting to leave my position.

I've just stuck this down ' No room for progression within current role ' is this sufficient enough or should I expand on that?

Thanks all :D

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IIRC the trick is to say basically that without seeming to dump on your current employers.

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'd certainly amend/add to that. I'd put something like 'limited' development opportunities, or 'opportunities' do not align with your own expectations. It may seem small, but you avoid slating your old work in front of potential new employers.
    Is this you first employment? If so you could add that you want to broaden you experience, 9 years is a decent time with an employer these days, depending on industry.

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I had a candidate respond with something like the below when asked a similar question by my HR colleague for a warehouse operator role:

"I'm looking to move to get new experiences, see different ways of working and encounter new challenges."

We ended up hiring the person, despite them not having the related industry experience (GMP Pharmaceutical).

Another candidate responded with "I hate my boss". We didn't hire them. :wallbash:

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, you need to spin this in a positive rather than negative way. So instead of "No room for progression within current role", go with something along the lines of what @Goatee 's successful applicant said: "looking to move to get new experiences, see different ways of working and encounter new challenges".

Ultimately, the reason is the same but the emphasis is on the positive and looking forward.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

That's awesome guys, just hit refresh and got all this sound advice!

Yes my current job has been my only job. I was an apprentice who then got promoted to a full time role so when it comes to filling out application forms I find it difficult due to lack of experience :duh:

I'm just about to start my support summary for the application, I sort of know how I'm going to lay it out and have been given sound advice by the employers themselves but is there anything I should keep in mind or any common mistakes to avoid?

I really really really want this job as it's a massive career step for me so thank you all :)

liratheal likes this.
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Exactly the kind of 'new-age spin speak' that puts me off applying for jobs...

"Give examples of..." are my pet hate; I don't sit and analyse every decision/experience, I do that as/when I need to if s**t looks like I've been there before. Fair play to those who have the ability to 'catalogue' these kind of things, just that I ain't one of them.

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I personally found most interviews were more about if your attitude and work ethic fits inline with the companies expectations and if you'll be a positive (work & social) influence on the office.

If you go in with the wrong attitude, it doesn't matter what b*ll*cks comes out of your mouth.

9. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

This is exactly what my current manager said, I was worried I didn't meet the job spec but he said those exact words which filled me with so much confidence :)

10. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Just remember that most job specs are essentially wish lists and most people who go for the job won't have absolutely everything in their skill set. I've been for, and got interviews for, jobs that seemed way over specc'd for what they were giving in return (and some that seemed way out of my league).

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Agreed, they accept very few will tick every box but if you come across as positive about learning new things they take it as a positive.
    If in your reasons for leaving your current role you say along the lines of you want to broaden your horizons or develop yourself you can use that as a spring board, just be sure you have some form of evidence for it.
    90% of the time its more your attitude an personality they are worried about. Skills can be taught people skills an the like, not so much.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

If I didn't apply for jobs saying "bachelors degree required" I'd never have gotten any of the jobs I had.

13. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Just thought I'd update you all, I got the application in on the final hour on Sunday before it closed...Fingers crossed!

Hex, MLyons and Nealieboyee like this.
  14. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Good luck!

Jake123456 likes this.