1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RGB advice needed, not PC related

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MightyBenihana, 31 May 2019.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding controlling one loop of RGB led strips using multiple controllers.

I am building a builtt in bunk bed for my children, something like this:

http://homesteadbasics.com/space-saving-bedrooms/ (3rd one down)
    [​IMG]

I am planning on installing an RGB strip behind a diffuser for each bunk (make it fun for them) and would like each bunk to be able to control their colour seperately through amounted controller, perhaps through something like this:

[​IMG]
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1005

which would be mounted onto the bed.

The loop has to be powered from one power source although I think I will be using some form of open cage transformer will may make things easier. How would I go about making this possible in terms of wiring? Can this be done with a single loop or should I just run each strip from a different connection on the transformer?

Thanks.

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Looking at that RGB controllers, I would say the easiest way is to just split (or daisy chain) the power and just power each length of RGB individually on its own controller. As long as you've got a PSU which covers the requirements of the length of the strips I'm sure that would be a very easy setup.

MightyBenihana likes this.
  3. MightyBenihana

Yeah, I have been looking at that controller more. Your idea seems a good one.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I would look into buying a decent-ish 12v power brick. I’ve got a few here that can handle 5A and could run about 60ft of lighting without issue. :)

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Looking at something like this; https://www.amazon.de/Docooler-Span...+10a+netzteil&qid=1559367387&s=gateway&sr=8-5

It seems feasible to run two strips, there's two voltage outs.

Heck, on my Arduino based DOOM ambient light there's two strips (40 and 57) run off 9v 1a chocolate block - Admittedly, though, those are 5v WS2812B. Although I've seen people use WS5050 which is 12v, but the power needs tapping before it gets to the Arduino.

6. MightyBenihana

Liratheal I was looking at something like that too. I was wondering if it would be possible to run 4 strips off one and wire the controller in between it and the strips so each could be controlled individually.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If you have the spec of the strip you want to run, the spec of the controller, and the spec of the PSU I'm sure some math can confirm whether that'd work. I'd have a look myself but phone internet and I don't get along very well.