1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Chernobyl (HBO, Sky Atlantic)

Discussion in 'General' started by Vault-Tec, 4 Jun 2019.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Any one watching/watched this?

I found it all terribly interesting and compelling. Then I go to Ep 3 and realised the actual cost of the explosion. I won't go into it, but I do urge caution if you can't deal with the extreme side of death.

Overall it's absolutely amazing and if you have the stomach for it I strongly recommend it. It's poignant, sad and horrifying at the same time. Quite probably the best thing I have watched in ages.

2. maxlxyd

maxlxyd What's a Dremel?

Haven't seen it yet but I really want to after your description. You need now tv to watch it right?

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Unless you have other sources yes. I hear it may be floating around on newsgroups.

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I've managed to watch about 10 minutes of it so far, but recorded the episodes. A few of the team in my work are talking about how good it is, so looking forward to it and hopefully this weekend I'll find time to catch up.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't it based off a book written by some Russian guy with a certain level of inside knowledge?

It defiantly should be on peoples watch list as it operates on so many levels, from a look into the political ideology inside Russia, the shear cost in terms of both resources and human lives, the self sacrifice of the Russian people....i could go on and on but it's best if people just watch it. :)

6. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Absolutely brilliant miniseries, it really captures the grimness of the whole event and seems pretty accurate for the times. The actors are basically spitting images of the people their playing and apart from one or two little things happening in the wrong time frame it’s a bledy masterpiece. They purposely left out gore to not take attention away from the event itself.

I only regret i’ve got one episode left to watch, while you folks can watch it all in one sitting after tomorrow! Lots of people moan about it being in English and thought a Russian accent would of perhaps of made it better which i completely disagree with. Enjoy it you fools!

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

..before I get mod-slapped, Mazin is the writer and producer of the series.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Great mini series, really showed the human cost as in the numbers of people thrown at it with disregard for safety. The roof and water sluice scenes stand out for me.
    Cork, the sources are partially explained in the end credits but a lot of it is from interviews/memoirs from people who were there.

9. Vault-Tec

Most of it is like a documentary. I mostly read about Chernobyl but seeing it and get to visualise what it all actually looks like is kinda like nerd pron. It's terribly interesting on top of everything else (like the absolutely killer acting on show)

I finished it up last night and it's quite easily the best mini series I've ever seen.

10/10 to those miners as well, true heroes.

10. veato

veato I should be working

Going to catch up with the last episode today. Has been an incredibly fascinating show.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Excellent series: I worked in the nuclear industry circa 1991 and Chernobyl was covered extensively in safety reviews, but a lot more detail has come out over the years.

There wasn't a disregard for safety as such. In some quarters, there was ignorance of safety, in others, adherence to propaganda put people in danger, but overall the authorities knew the dangers, and conveyed a lot of it to the workers/troops - but asked them to carry on anyway.... It had to be done, regardless of cost.

...which they did. 3 guys effectively committed suicide to open the sluices, but they did it to prevent a far bigger explosion that would have left a huge chunk of Europe uninhabitable. And the assessment was that 3 minutes on the rooftop would be fatal, so they told the troops to limit their time there to 90 seconds - in most cases, this would also have been a fatal dose, albeit a year or three down the line.

As much as your average Russian had to do what he/she was told, a lot of them knowingly sacrificed themselves for their Motherland.

I liked the bit where they had been given a robot that could withstand the radiation levels, yet it failed - because the Kremlin had told the German manufacturers the propaganda radiation level rather than the actual level.

Horrible part of history, but it's spawned an entire genre of TV/literature/gaming.

12. Vault-Tec

"because it was cheaper"

About said it all to me. Plus the graphite tips were a bad idea.

13. veato

veato I should be working

Apparently the suicide mission (although clearly a mentally heroic thing to undertake) did not result in the instant deaths of the volunteers

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

This is simply amazing and compelling viewing, shows how close we actually came to true catastrophe

There are so many amazing revelations here and a couple of absurd moments (how the miners deal with the temperatures in their excavations leaps to mind) that just left me shaking my head. I can't recommend this highly enough.

15. BigAde2072

BigAde2072 What's a Dremel?

This is a myth they didn't die.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-volunteers-divers-nuclear-mission-2016-4?r=US&IR=T

Although many suffered with serious health issues in later years;

https://www.businessinsider.com/meet-the-people-who-worked-at-chernobyl-2016-4?r=US&IR=T

The show really captures the grim choices faced, use people to clear up or let the radiation spread further.

16. Vault-Tec

Not all of the miners died either but those who survived were severely disabled. By 40 they had the body of an 80 year old.

One guy reports he could still taste metal 20 years later.

BigAde2072 likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Here, watch this after you have seen Chernobyl (as it's clear it shares the same info as the docuseries).

If you watch the part about the radiation spread and the maps it could well explain why cancer levels have soared, even here in the UK. God help us if the second explosion had gone off.

BigAde2072 likes this.
  18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Astonishing it was only in 2017 that a shelter was put over the reactor at a cost of $2 Billion!

19. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Finished watching this week and it may well be the single best TV series ever made - just spot on in so many areas that the mind boggles at the level of research they undertook in order to make them to that level of accuracy.

10/10 Roentgens

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

Yeah same for me I reckon. It's about as good as I've ever seen.

That's one thing I like about modern TV and streaming. They are not limited to 2 hours.