1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors TT deaths

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 3 Jun 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just read another racer has died at the Isle of man TT.

How is it allowed to continue, I'm confused.

Googled it and so many people have died, it just a race, is it really worth all these deaths 258 in total:(.

I'd stop watching F1 altogether if people were dying year on year.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Short answer is because motorbike racers are crazy.

The longer answer is that the TT continues partly because of tourist money but mostly because riders line up by the hundred every year to have a go at it. They aren't there for the money themselves, 99% of the riders do the TT and the Irish road race series (which is just as bonkers and kills riders with monotonous regularity) then go back to their day jobs in the week. I think it sits in the same category as base jumpers and free climbers, the people doing it chase that buzz because they can't get it doing anything else. It's clearly a different mindset to more professional series, where riders won't accept unlimited risks.

Even so, 2.5 fatalities per year leaves it on par with F1 in the 1970s. If the IoM didn't have it's own jurisdiction the government would have shut this one down by now.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Probably for the same they still allow people to climb Everst and the like, despite the recent spate of deaths.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The TT is a fast course, with a lot of complex corners and road surface changes. Bikers are as protected as they're gonna get until someone invents a rollcage for the human body, and a lot of the better riders are absolute lunatics at least during a race.

I think ending the TT would be devastating to the IoM's economy, and would increase the number of deaths of riders trying to do an "unofficial" race on in-use public roads. Don't forget that a lot of the roads are made one way and heavily policed during the TT for the fans safety, and even then some fans overcook it and **** themselves into a ditch.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I saw an article on a tt rider who's dad, uncle and brother had all died there, but he continues to do it anyway. Some people just love danger.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It's risky, they choose to take the risk. I don't think anybody should be stopped from doing that.

As to if it could be made safer, I have no idea.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I've had the same thoughts about why is it allowed but the thought could be put to many activities, even every day activities, where would the line be drawn?

Bikers are a bread of there own, I was on a bike for 18 months until I got knocked off bad, haven't been back on but I would if my family and friends would allow it.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

One of the last bastions of personal choice and exercising ones freedoms to have some fun however they please, long may it continue.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Sure it could.
    Remove all the walls and houses, lay a smooth tarmac, install low curbs, run off areas and gravel traps etc etc etc. but then you'd just have another track and not the TT.

adidan likes this.
  10. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

TT is a crazy race....

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I don't follow the TT, just seen the odd mad lap on youtube etc, but whenever I do watch it i'm surprised someone hasn't put their bike into some poor old couples living room at at 180mph... Or has it happened??

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's their choice. They aren't choosing to die, they're just participating in a dangerous event.

Take your pick - mountaineering, free climbing, base jumping, sky diving, Formula 1, Moto GP, Boxing, wreck/cave diving among others - they're all dangerous but, if you nanny-state one of them, the snowflakes start looking sideways at the rest of them.

Vault-Tec and Gunsmith like this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Back in the day, there were a few incidents of riders failing to dodge a post box or concrete litter bin etc. Watch some of the early footage, and note the total lack of crash barriers/hay bales etc.

14. adidan

I was thinking more along the lines of protective gear. It would probably need something star trekky to make any difference though.

Anyway, nah, they want to take the risk it's not for anyone else to stop them. I go skiing, i'm not stopping that even when you could get wiped out by another skier, hit by an avalanche, fall badly and break your neck or end up like Michael.

What I get from skiiing is worth the risk to me, as I'm sure the risk in the TT is worth it for those that take part.

15. veato

veato I should be working

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It should continue, riders know the risks each time they get on a bike, they are doing what they love, rather die doing that than of something crap like cancer or old age. :p

I like hooning around at hillclimbs and sprints, I do this in an MX5 without much safety gear, I've seen lots of incidents, rolls and death, it won't stop me doing it and I wouldn't want someone else imposing their views on my sport ruining my fun and upping my costs because they don't like it.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I just feel sorry for the families, that was my point really.

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I think the only reason it hasn't gone the way of Group B is that the local audiences are smaller and mostly confined to the UK and Ireland, so injuries among the public are fewer and not occurring around the globe. And the spectators have the good sense not to stand in the road.

19. adidan

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, as do I. I guess that's for them to weigh up. TBH if you have kids I think you'd be a bit of a dick to do the TT amongst many other things but I don't think you can ban being a dick.

I mean i'd have nothing to do if you could ban it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Out of curiosity, and for a little perspective, I googled the most dangerous profession. In the UK, by volume of deaths, it's painters and decorators. Personally I'd rather break my neck at the TT than at the bottom of the stairs covered in Dulux Olive Matt Emulsion.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.