1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Mismanaged, yes. Scam, no.

Likely to fail in 8 months? I doubt it. The backers are so emotionally invested and its their dime. Sunken cost fallacy and all that. For example, when they put up a paywall for Cit Con and then removed it, there was a huge spike in pledges, paradoxically.

CIG make no secret that the majority of their dev time is going on SQ42 - I sense their desperation in getting something out of a release quality.

I hope more than expect, and have done for years.

Last edited: 8 May 2019
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeesh I'd forgotten this was a thing, just ridiculous skimming through that article.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As only a casual observer that forgets this game is even a thing most of the time, I fully expect it to collapse under its own weight at some point and become abandonware.

I can't wrap my head around the article I saw recently about a guy trying to get a refund and then spending more on the game anyway.. Weird behaviour.

It seems like best case scenario is that it steals some of Eve onlines thunder and limps along until it's player base literally dies of old age.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Reminder - Clickbait hit-pieces are just that. Clickbait.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

IanW you are our example of a sunk cost backer who cannot see criticism. That article was hardly click bait, it sounded very well researched with comprehensive background information.

If its a spectrum, I am somewhere between Gareth and Ian, a critical backer...

6. liratheal

It's no secret people are seeking refunds.

However clickbaity the article about the guy spending more while still seeking a refund is - It's probably not an isolated incident. It probably only flagged up because he lost. Also, note that I said I can't get my head around that kind of behaviour. When I've sought refunds on game stuff I've not been buying more at the same time from that same developer..

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hey, I've no dog in this race. If it comes out, great; if it doesn't, bad news for them as have paid but no skin off my nose. I think people sometimes mistake my reporting of, y'know, facts as being entirely negative - when it's the facts, not the reportage, that are negative.

The day it hits beta, I can guarantee you it'll be front-page news - though there'll definitely be mention of how massively, massively delayed it is in the opening paragraph 'cos, again, facts.

damien c likes this.
  8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Play the beta at home in VR - it's like you're really in space!

Play the finished game in your Mars holiday home - it's a bit boring...

damien c likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I see three possible explanations:
    1: He is an addict and can't stop himself.
    2: Due to the constant changes to the "game" and promises regarding it he is trying out various new stuff while refunding other stuff.
    3: He is a scammer who is trying to game the refund system for free stuff.

10. liratheal

I'd lean towards number 1, but. That's my own prejudice towards giving money to a pre-release piece of software.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I didn't mean the reporting, I noticed some opinion on your posts in this thread. I hope the staff are allowed an opinion!

I could also talk about how objective reporting is never objective, and epistemology, and bias, but that is true of all people everywhere!

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I follow the game from a distance - so have a rough idea of whats going on. Given the constant dialogue they have with the community, and the slow but (now) steady updates, I have little doubt it will eventually be released. Will it be the game to end all games? Probably not. Will it be a fairly cool space sim in a fairly cool universe - very likely.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I made the mistake of jumping in headfirst. I haven't really played the game in two years (!), but I would argue that what has been achieved is impressive: whether or not the whole works as intended is another matter.

Seriously, landing on a planet is rather extraordinary. Elite Dangerous is pretty nifty, but Star Citizen has the potential to go further.

Ah well, back to the waiting game. At least by the time it's actually released I'll be able to play it on my eGPU set up with an RTX 10080Ti...

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hey everyone! I had a go on SC a few weeks ago and I just found it a bit boring! I got lost on the metro system of one of the planets and it took me 20 minutes just to return to my ship then ages to get anywhere then I ran out of fuel. Its very pretty but it just feels like commuter simulator...

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lawsuit updated

TL;DR

• CIG has requested that Crytek put as "deposit" 2 million dollars, in order to avoid that, in case of defeat, Crytek doesn't run away without paying the possible legal expenses sustained by CIG.
    • Crytek then initially asked for more time with a promise to pursue a settlement that would close the case. However, despite having obtained more time, Crytek did not really want to pursue a settlement and yet asked for even more time, all to delay and/or prevent putting these two million on the table.
    • CIG has therefore made this document to prevent Crytek from obtaining this additional time, while also pointing out Crytek's "sly" actions to obtain additional time.
    • Currently a Crytek response of 2 million is expected by 7 June, a counter-response from CIG will follow on 14 June. On June 28, the court will decide on what to do.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Iv been watching this game from the beginning but never invested. I started to get hyped for it a few months back as the promo videos looked really good and slick and my friend plays it and tells me cool things hes been getting upto in it.
    Tried the free fly weekend a little while ago and it felt sup[er janky to the joint it felt like a bad mod of a bad game.

The scope is massive but they still have so much to do, i really cant see this ever coming out and running well as it was visioned or promised. Its been too long in development with too little progress over that time.
    I was close to going in on a ship and a game pass, so glad i didnt pull the trigger. Wanted the vanguard harbinger.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I am not sure this is "never coming out" or going to "breakdown/fail in X months".

The backers continue to pump their money in to this thing, on a daily basis, er go, it continues to be funded, er go, it will not breakdown providing the money keeps coming in. The have continued to expand staff numbers and studios year on year despite claims for 3 - 4 years now that it is "about to fail".

There are a huge amount of people that continue to believe in this project. Much like a football club that supporters continue to go and see no matter what, there is an emotional investment and a sunken cost.

I believe Episode 1 of Squadron 42 will get released, and that is (as discussed by Chris and Erin Roberts multiple times) what the majority of the dev time is being spent on. I am still looking forward to this as, lest we forget, Chris Roberts knows how to make an awesome game.

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So now it's Episode 1 of SQ42 and not just SQ42? To quote Billy Dee Williams, this deal is getting worse all the time. I'd also like to point out that Roberts hasn't released an awesome game since 1996, his last few were not as awesome as he promised and even the last of those came out sixteen years ago.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2019