1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Huawei, time to change?

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 7 Jun 2019.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

So, going from recent events Huawei are falling out of favour in general. Today its been announced that Facebook as a group are blocking pre installation of their apps to Huawei devices and states that you will continue being able to install their apps on existing devices "for now".
    My concern which seems to be shared amongst others is this is the tip of a nasty iceberg where other companies will restrict or turn off support/updates or simply block the apps functionality.

With that in mind, do you think it would be sensible to jump ship so to speak and get hold of a different brand handset?

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Depending on what handset you have, it might be worth selling now and getting as much for it as you can to put towards another - from what I've heard, the more companies that sever ties, the more the value will drop :worried:

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Too early to tell. It sounds like Facebook is following Google, and thus the US governments decision to block Chinese companies from accessing US based tech.

It's entirely possible it gets resolved, but who knows right now.

Sam

4. legoman

I have a P10 so its one of the now older handsets, I will see how much they go for though I'd imagine others have already started flogging them off

True, were at the squaring off at each other stage, I would imagine is US/China trade relations cooled through some agreement they would likely remove them from the entity list. But as it is now everyones slowly closing off to them.

5. veato

veato I should be working

I wonder where consumers stand with the law? If you've taken a 2 year contract and it comes a point that you have very limited functionality with your device (no Facebook, no Google updates, no Instgram, no Twitter, no who knows...!) will you have some recourse?

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I can't seem them blocking existing hardware there would be uproar and massive bad publicity surely?

7. legoman

I would imagine from a consumer point of view no where states the apps are part of my agreement with either the network, handset or OS so it would be a middle finger with a bow round it.

As for blocking existing hardware, if they can justify it from a security perspective in the US it will likely just happen.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

It will effect the certification of future devices. I will be getting a Huawei p30. I expect everything can be side loaded.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Shame as they are making some of the more interesting devices for laptops to mobiles.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just looked to see how much I would get on Mazuma and they are not accepting any Huawei devices by the looks of it, so if you did want to sell it then it would probably be on Facebook or Ebay because I doubt many people will want to buy something that is basically for no good reason going to be a paper weight in 3 months.

I said it on another forum, but if people are really concerned about the Chinese spying on them, then why in the world do they use Facebook, Google, Apple, Samsung, Alexa and many others which track your movement's, record your mic etc, take and store so much of your personal information that you may as well not even think about privacy because you have given it all to them anyway.

I know certain things about the Huawei switches that I cannot say and they are not innocent but neither are the British, American or most other Governments.

If it was possible to live in a world where common sense was used instead of the mentality of the last few years of where everyone has this "woe is me, I'm a VICTIM" and "I'm offended because I don't like that word", or "they said something mean so now I have to end there life/career/company" not to mention "Were not happy about you doing something we have been doing for years to our own people without there knowledge or approval so we are going to ruin you".

Seriously Elon Musk needs to hurry up with his whole "Living on Mars" thing because I tell you if they accepted just anyone I would be camping in the queue now just to get away from this planet and it's whole pathetic mentality that it has now.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No need to say anything, thanks to the UK government leaking more than... well a Huawei product we all know that there are a bunch of security vulnerabilities and that Huawei devices are no more secure than an Intel CPU.

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I'm expecting that - some time soon - the UK service providers will stop wanting to support Huawei 'phones... esp. if Android decide to pull their OS.

HTC, anyone...?

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yeah that isn't it.

Either way unless Samsung decide to actually make a new phone that isn't almost the exact same as the last one but with a few minor tweaks, then my next phone will be something that is not a smart phone.

I will not pay the Apple Tax, I won't use Sony phones because of the stupid amount of bloatware, LG and HTC are they still even making phones, doesn't leave to many choices.

14. creative

creative 500rwhp

lol... have you ever looked in your google settings to see how much they track your mobile... especially if you havent turned it off on the phone?

I was in the phone shop today and there is absolutely nothing that interests me in the mobile world. The missus updated her S8 to an S10 but even then, Samsungs flagship phone is meh.

I am keen to see how the folding phones develop now and Huawai's version was looking very promising!

15. legoman

Oh I'm all to aware of how phones track is both in the obvious any very un obvious, considering most networks knew roughly where you were when we were all using 3310s it comes as no suprise.
    It's not the Chinese spy's looking at my phone nonsense as frankly, there's little on there of interest to them. I'm more worried over being left with a handset that suddenly looses support for things. So work we use WhatsApp for things. The obvious social media, but then you have other things like email and scaling up to the actual OS, while I know the OS is very unlikely all wise is looking more an more likely.

16. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I find it really odd how there is such an uproar over Huawei, yet they continue to allow Honor (a sub brand of Huawei) to be sold in the US and have all the apps etc? Seems a bit odd how they block one part of the company, yet allow the other..

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you have a phone that even remotely works you should hold off any way, 5G is coming (post code lottery permitting).

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Anyone living in a small village, like me, shouldn't be worrying too much about 5G for a few years at least...

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Honor is blocked as well.

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's turning into a technology cold war.

21. creative

creative 500rwhp

with android, I wouldnt worry tbh. Someone on XDA will create a specific GAPPS to side load I would expect but, as usual, it will be the consumer that will suffer.

Its already being rolled out here ( australia ) But the nimby's are out in force trying to block it. Wifi 6 is what Im keen for!