1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It rained again, and the city flooded again, and I had a power outage, AGAIN. On the bright side, I got to run around in a thunderstorm holding a shovel.
    I might have got some modding done too.
    [​IMG]
    -I semi-blacked out for this session. I'll have to decide if it looks good later. Trying some rough fitting here. I filed a step in the underside of the brass sink drain part in the middle.
    [​IMG]
    -The chunk of pot needed mounting, for that I cut up a U-channel conveniently bent to the same radius as the pot, and some thin metal from an old door kick-plate.
    [​IMG]
    -These got a healthy dose of epoxy, then the U-sections were seated on top. The tape is to keep it from gluing to the wrong panel.
    [​IMG]
    -Later, the new mounts were glued to a roughed-up spot on the main case. I cut holes for the 'fins' too.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm putting the sink drain ring on the top of that pan, but I needed to file out screw access. I also drilled a hole in the middle for wires.
    [​IMG]
    -Oh, Yeah. That hole. :lol: To get the wires to the hookup area I added a small copper pipe, and gave it a purple buddy. They are being glued here, along with the brass drain part, and the black heatsink. I may have skipped documenting stuff... No I did skip documenting stuff. Imagine a ping-pong ball holding a hacksaw and files. That was me.
    [​IMG]
    -I got to stripping the chrome off of faucet neck #2. To find the bits I missed I sprayed it down with oven cleaner. I found the BBQ cleaning variant turned brass black a lot faster than the regular sh*t. :D
    [​IMG]
    -I also noticed the homemade sanding discs worked better as sloppy cut squares. It gave me a pinpoint sanding contact, and I could see what I was hitting through the spinning sandpaper halo.
    [​IMG]
    -Stuff got soldered. This is a bathroom sink cap on the back of the faucet neck, and two bushings, one lawn mower transmission, and the other VCR. -Anyone still keeping track? :p The 'crap I used' list is going to be epic.
    [​IMG]
    -This is sink neck's future home. The problem is that it lines up perfectly with the edge of the PSU...The bit that touches the case wall it's so close inside. -Yeah.
    Thanks again to my sponsors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neSSa and Vault-Tec like this.
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

:grin: for sure it will be...as the weight ?...I'm wondering :worried:, but the mod...omg, :jawdrop: no doubt it's gonna be extraordinary...:wallbash:

3. Cheapskate

Thanks, Kim. :D Well, no one's going to be knocking it off the desk. :lol: I honestly hadn't thought much about weight. It's not GwassGween heavy, and that's all that matters.

4. Cheapskate

OK, that's twice this week that the power has gone out while I was in the shower. It's getting old...

5. kim

kim hardware addict

:idea: I'm affraid you must get the ladder out of the closet, drop the shovel and handle your toolbox to fix the electricity meter :dremel:

6. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Gotta love the home made sanding squares :) that's tru modding :grin: :dremel::rock::thumb:

7. Cheapskate

:lol: In my defense, I had to do it to keep the house from flooding, and it started storming again just that fast.
    @ def - Nah, just common sense. I saw a dremel display where they were selling the discs and thought, "There's no way I would spend that much money on 1/4 sheet of sandpaper."

8. Cheapskate

Schools are out... and it's a drinking holiday. Needless to say, I'm staying home where it's safe.
    [​IMG]
    -The 2nd sink neck mounting is similar to the first. I cut a hole so tapped bits of aluminum could be glued inside. This time a metal plate will be glued to the outside of the tank so the screws are flush inside.
    [​IMG]
    -Mounted. @InsolentGnome - Don't make me re-sand the whole tank. I did this long before you posted your project with the random sanding pattern. :worried:
    Yeah, you know I'm getting close when I wipe off all the marks and guide lines.
    [​IMG]
    -After several missing pics of trying to cut a weed eater engine piston to fit over this area, I decided to just go with blowtorch heated ABS model tree. The piston didn't fit very well, anyway.
    [​IMG]
    -Ripping right along, I made two LEFT side covers for the pan from the previous post. :duh: Maybe I'm going a little too fast...
    [​IMG]
    -At some point I also ground the chrome off this sink part. There was a lot of oven cleaner bathing too.
    [​IMG]
    -LOL Deflection. The top hole was drilled from the other side. -Anyway, this little bit is for mounting the tubing with that scope bracket. These are tapped to 4-40 thread.
    [​IMG]
    -And here it is with the tubing. After all that, the front is just sloppily glued from the inside. :D I'll make this part more streamlined later.
    [​IMG]
    -So I bought some dicey-looking Chinese mill bits that I thought were Japanese, and decided the best way to test them was cutting brass. :lol: OW... That was loud and screamy. I sorta got my part made, though.
    [​IMG]
    -Apparently, in the century I measured this part, they didn't use micrometers. :lol: Oops. I gotta file some sh*t, and make it fit.
    That's it for now. Remind me to turn the flash off on the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec and neSSa like this.
  9. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Hey, I originally stole it from Bill and Chris and their metal grinding projects. I ain't sayin' a word.

10. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I'm really looking forward to the list of what came from where you mentioned.
    oh man I can relate to "gotta file some sh*t, and make it fit."
    Seriously loving the recycling of materials in a manner that is not expected.

11. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D
    The list. :worried: I'm gonna need a few extra pencils. The stuff I tore up thinking I'd add them to the case would be the big list.

12. Cheapskate

One month away from the 5 year anniversary... Let that sink in. :worried: 5
    [​IMG]
    -Makin' fit happen all around.
    [​IMG]
    -I soldered the Moen valve tube to the new brass plate, then found a screw for the other bit. -So that's a brass keychain, a Moen sink insert, brass rod from a sink drain assembly, the body of a printer stepper motor, and the head of a dart.
    [​IMG]
    -That's epoxy, not snot. Getting this clamped was tricky. I ended up filing the clamp heads as flat as I could get them. You can also see some plexi I glued together.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the last bit of wiring I needed to do... I think. I just had a full-length molex cord fall out of the core, so maybe not? I sharpened the plexi bit with the belt sander. I did NOT put it in the pencil sharpener. It's too big, and the sharpener is really dull for some reason.
    [​IMG]
    -All the wiring inside. I hot glued the UV strip around the front vents too.
    [​IMG]
    -And with that, the outside is DONE. :jawdrop: All but that bit I marked with blue tape that still has to have the pen marks cleaned off. Oops. Maybe I should use bigger tape.
    [​IMG]
    -A pic of that last bit of stuff up close. The sink tailpiece at the top was made of really good brass. I never got it to tarnish.
    [​IMG]
    -One shot to tease. I've drained the loop on the core so I can remove the back plate. Once I get the HDMI ports cut, I can slap it together and call it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

:jawdrop: amazing ! You would have made Alonso Bistro proud :rock::rock::rock:

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:clap:
    I am curious to see it with lights turned on.
    The only thing that is off-key is that black switch :rollingeyes:

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wow that thing looks amazing. 5 years worth of detail and additions.

Amazing dude. It looks like a 1950s art deco nuclear submarine.

16. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys! I'm just glad some of us survived the 5 years to see it.
    @def - Alonso used some found stuff. I'll say it again; You don't just find rattlesnake skin in France. :lol:
    @Dot_Kappa -I did the wiring test right after posting, and I went hyper and did 90% of the back panel work. There's lots of black stuff, but the switch does stand out in the photos.
    @Vault-Tec - :lol: Something not "bomb." I waited 5 years for that too.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Reminds me of a Buster Crabbe era Flash Gordon spaceship.

18. kim

kim hardware addict

:clap:glad to see the iron turnip near completion, doesn't reminds me a turnip though :idea:... more like one of the Satanas engine in wacky races :grin:

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It looks like it needs to be in Bioshock. Either as an escape submarine or a weapon :D

Kim - I think it resembled a turnip five years ago :D

20. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    @David - That was the direction I was aiming for. With a lot of what Vault mentioned too. Bill called one of the rigs I drew up for him ages ago a 'lunar lander' , I think that was wallowing around in my brain during the conception.
    @ kim - Yeah, It started Looking like a 'thingy' very early on, and I suspected it would be longer and pretty lumpy looking. :worried: -Amazingly, 'metal potato' was taken. Hell, my cad folder is still 'metaltato'.