1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Huawei, time to change?

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 7 Jun 2019.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If it ends up anywhere near as bad as what happened to Blackberry 10 then it won't be nice. Not only did apps stop working but side loading newer versions just didn't work either. It was bad. Half of the internet wasn't visible due to security certificates and stuff like Whatsapp and Skype just refused to run.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Thats my main fear, I was nosing at cheap replacements, Motorola seem to be mashing out handsets that do the job.
    Only gripe why are there so many 6" screens! I have a 5.1" which is ample for me, it's very annoying finding a decent phone with what they class now as a small screen.

Goatee likes this.
  3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Gapps is not as simple as before, Google sometimes blocks devices it deems as not having a correct license. Sure, user can then go and register a single device for his account, but it is another annoyance, which your typical user might simply avoid by not buying Huawei/Honor until Trump or his successor removes this order.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

AI wouldn't worry about anything until there is an actual issue with your device due to this, the longer you can hold on to your device the better the next one will be. Its an Android device not an Apple so you are going to get bugger all back from it anyway, wouldn't matter if it was a Huawei or a Samsung that is just the way the Android market is, it doesn't have such devoted fan boys who are willing to pay over the odds for old tat.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I think it is too early to say what will happen. If Trump sticks with blocking Huawei from use tech, including facebook, google, twitter it will corrode confidence in US tech offerings.
    This, in turn, will encourage competitors like Samsung to make competing products to protect against random trade sanctions and tariffs.
    The US was talking about looking states out of the SWIFT banking system. In response, Russia pushed China to develop an alternative. Now we have the Cross-Border Interbank Payment System (CIPS).
    More importantly, by locking devices out of US social media they are essentially stifling US influence which is a fundamental principle of the American government, spreading American values.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

But locking Huawei devices out of US (anti) social media won't worry Huawei, they have a big enough market in China alone that doesn't use Google or Farcebook, Twatter etc, it's all Wechat, Alipay, Baidu etc. Plus China is making moves into India in a big way so do they really care about the US sanctions?

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

It will have no effect on the Chinese domestic market, it is part of the technology cold war that the US is waging against China.
    Huawei was already mostly blocked from the US market. They are prevented from investing in social media companies and carriers are discouraged from carrying Chinese handsets.
    The US is trying to block China from Western markets to prevent competition and economic growth.
    China wants to get into telecoms and high-tech. Look at how much effort the US is putting into pressuring other states against using Huawei's 5G technology.

China is trying to transform its image from the factory of the world to service-based and high-tech economy like Japan and South Korea. China is investing in AI, drones and chip development in order to compete and have better control over supply chains. China brands have a strong presence in developing markets and are working to break into European markets.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Huawei is also working on its own OS, but as it stands, the p30 is already certified, so will continue to receive updates and security patches. However, the next handset, the p40 will require certification and it's then we need to look at what happens.

As for me, My Note 8 is fine, but if I do upgrade, it will be the OnePlus 7 Pro, or the P30 Pro for me.

Sam

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

10. legoman

Also Trendforce revised the expected price drop in DRAM due to Huawei having a reduced demand due to this. If that is the case it will have yet greater impact on this as they ran the pricing estimates against the drop in smartphone and server products, not taking into account laptops.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

"The company reportedly found an ally in those efforts via Google, which reportedly told the U.S. government that allowing Huawei to introduce its own operating system could be a national security risk. (Google likely wants to make sure Android doesn't lose a massive hardware partner, of course, but it's at least cloaking that self-interest in a facade of concern.) We don't yet know how the federal government responded."

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So have Xiaomi also been blocked or just the Chinese company who is competition in the 5G market?

MLyons likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Give you three guesses. First two don't count.

MLyons likes this.
  14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The ban was aimed at Huawei cell network gear. Huawei and Honor phone and laptop business are just a collateral damage.

15. legoman

Isn't this the OS thats been floating about since 2012? Looks like its doing the whole concerned friend act where their actually trying to protect their own interests.

With regards to Xiaomi, nothing has been mentioned but I would imagine they are safe as they don't make much beyond phones from what I recall.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Surprisingly, Xiaomi makes quite a lot of non-phone stuff - though not telco gear. It's just that most of it never hits the west. There'll be a review of the Xiaomi Mija Wowstick electric screwdriver in an upcoming Custom PC, and they also make air purifiers, rice cookers, water purity meters, lint trimmers, air quality sensors, hairdryers, bins, plant sprayers, water bottles, sandwich toasters, bidet seats, flood detectors, kettles, face masks, induction hobs, mosquito repellers, automatic hand soap dispensers, video doorbells, smart alarms, scales, makeup mirrors, bike helmets, facial scrubbers, infra-red thermometers, wine-bottle stoppers, clocks, nose-hair trimmers, shoes, exercise equipment, soil monitors, smart lights, fidget toys...

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have a Xiaomi watch, scales and their Pocophone F1, that is a tidy piece of kit, for not a lot of money, I picked that up for the missus, nice and fast.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Xiaomi, Lenovo, Oppo, Vivo, Meizu etc all just play lego with parts from Samsung, LG, Sony, Foxconn and so on, so completely different situation from Huawei.

19. silk186

silk186 Derp

Huawei is more of a telecommunications company that is trying to make it in infrastructure.
    [​IMG]

Xiaomi is like apple, they focus on electronics. They started with phones but they have their own stores now. They are hip and techy with all white designed of smart devices: AC, air filter, Roomba, power bar, smart watch, scooter, engineering and programming toys.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. legoman

Roomba...

[​IMG]

Kronos likes this.