1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces Zen 2 CPUs, feat. 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 May 2019.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

or it's a typo on AMD's part [unlikely, but possible]

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

A sex wee...

:winking:

adidan likes this.
  3. RedFlames

Adidan just had a trouser moment...

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nothing little about them

You're presuming i'm wearing them :worried:

Edit: waiting for benchmarks feels like my adult version of waiting for christmas.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Ryzen all use the same dies and they are speed/quality binned, all the good stuff (lower power consumers) go into Epyc and the rest of the stuff (the garbage I suppose :p ;) ) gets allocated to desktop where you have different power and thermal budgets but don't make as much money, those monikers get added to them after this process.

It is not like Intel where you have different die for different core counts, its one core across AMDs entire range and non working or poorly performing CPUs on a CCX are switched off as sold as lower end parts etc. or say if you have two fast die that have a couple of duff cores on them you slap them on the high end 12 core utilizing 6 per die.

This is also why they don't tend to OC well as speeds etc have already been taken to the limit for the spec defined for each processor to maximise yields.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2019
  6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We won't know for sure until release but it maybe because some chips are using either one or two compute dies to makeup the core counts, in other words the 3700X maybe using a single chiplet containing all 8 working cores while the 3600X maybe using two chiplets consisting of a variety of working and dud cores.

Ideally for latency sensitive workloads (gaming, etc.) you'd want all 8 cores on a single chiplet, it's about the only logical explanation I've come up with to explain Lisa Su's comment about the 3800X being the chip people will want for gaming and the out-of-whack TDP figures, i guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks.

7. adidan

It is confusing, what you say makes sense but I thought only the 3900x was using 2 chiplets.

Damn you patience!

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

From what I've seen you're correct. Anything up to 8c/16t should use only a single chiplet.

@sandys I don't think EPYC hand-downs are made into Ryzens, maybe Threadrippers. But I could be wrong.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There are many stages of wafer level analysis, sort and test before packaged parts even happen.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The advertised cache sizes suggest 1 chiplet up to the 3800x and 2 chiplets (with 2 cores disabled in each) for the 3900x.

11. perplekks45

Ah, you're right about that. Thanks. :thumb:

12. adidan

Oooh and a 3.5/4.7GHz boost 105w 16/32 Ryzen 9 3950x may be coming too....

13. perplekks45

The 16c/32t CPU is 99.9999% certain. The clocks you mentioned sound reasonable.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For Ryzen (thus far) it's all the same Zeppelin dies for the Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc CPUs, just on different substrates using a different number of dies, with different binnings and different parts fused off. The APUs and mobile parts use a different die with a single CCX + GPU.

Intel have a somewhat larger set of dies in use: Xeons use MCC, HCC and XCC (Medium, High and eXtreme core count), though they have nearly retired MCC. Desktop Core and Xeon CPUs and mobile CPUs use three dies (4, 6 and * cores) with binning for both the CPU cores and graphics cores.
    ::EDIT:: There's also Xeon D, which is it's own weird thing.

For Zen 2, it appears that all desktop and server parts will all use the same CPU chiplet (with a varying number of chiplets, but the not-a-Northbridge chiplet may be different for Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc parts (likely by number of channels to connect to chiplets). Because mobile parts lag behind a gen they will still be a monolithic die based on Zen+, and this will likely continue when Zen 2 reaches mobile parts next year (as through-substrate links are a big power drain vs. on-die links).

Last edited: 10 Jun 2019
    adidan and perplekks45 like this.
  15. perplekks45

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

16. RedFlames

Indeed it is

adidan likes this.
  17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

$749 as well. I'd read some rumours that it was going to be $999 so that's an awful lot cheaper than some predictions.

Tags: Add Tags