1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Next time you get an apparently real number, give it to google & check some of the "Who Calls Me" responses. You might get lucky.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Usually someone claiming to be from Microsoft or Apple claiming my PC has a virus an they need to connect to it an fix it. That or saying I was involved in an accident.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I like the Skype-driven robo-calls: "Hi, this is <female name> from <made up company.>" <pause for five seconds, listen for noise, hang up if silence> "Yeah, we've been informed you're owed compensation for your accident?" <pause for five seconds, listen for noise, hang up if silence> <repeat with additional lines until forward to human.>

Those, and the ones from "BT" which are SMS to a landline and read out with BT's incredibly shonky TTS system: "This is Bruitish Te-LEcom we have noted a fault in your broad BAND someone has STOlen your priVACY your broad BAND will be dis connected please call Oh Nine Oh Six Five Two Two Six Two Six now."

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If it is the same number each time, block it. Just make sure your partner doesn't know you've done that.

MLyons likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I stay silent and still they never hang up. I assume it's just pre-recorded and put through skype then.

6. legoman

Yes! Or the call centres in say India "Hello may name is David I am calling from British Telecommunications I am thanking you far calling us today. We have been told your computer is infecting our internet" Usually a woman, with a strong accent.

The TTS ones are great fun though, MY STOLEN PRIVACY! PANIC!

I did have caller ID so usually can spot the scam calls, their heads tend to implode if you answer as an IT service desk.

Other favourites include a takeaway, emergency services or directory enquires (118 for you younglings).

Edit = Another fun one, ask them what floor their one an if they know *insert random name*

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"Interpol Cybercrimes Division, Fraud Section, Detective Mattheson speaking, how can I help?"

Vault-Tec, legoman, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  8. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I've had calls like that & I tell them to "just cut me off, then"; their 'convincer'...? to put you on mute so you think your line is dead, esp. as an incoming call remains live, until the caller terminates.

Easiest way to call them out is to ask, if they claim IP compromise: "What IS my IP address...?!"

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Going through the rigmarol of setting up a gold image Win7 install for my various VM needs, and handily forgetting that these needs are mostly 32bit. So I spend time setting up 64, getting it all 'right' by my requirements, and then having to re-do it.

Curses.

MLyons likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My fave response to scammers is to put on my best 1930's BBC "Mr Cholmondley-Warner" accent & say "I'm terribly sorry old thing, but I don't speak a word of English." then hang up.

adidan, legoman and MLyons like this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lots of numbers look like mobile or uk landline numbers now (although some the area code appears to also cover Delhi going by google).

If somebody does actually speak and say they're calling from [insert company] i have found saying "no you're not" followed by a "no, you're really not" confuses them enough for them to hang up.

I've blocked countless numbers though.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I use those calls as a way to let out any frustration that’s built up. Only when none else is in of course.

I start of with “sorry your very faint”, ask them to speak up or increase there volume, repeat a couple of times speaking really quietly, then pause....

Do not read the spoiler:

and then release a foul mouth tirade dropping c-bombs, references to sodomy / necrophilia in the callers family, perhaps a little blasphemy to add some icing then top it off with a couple of cherry’s on the rant that I won’t post here for decency reasons but would make David Cameron’s pig blush

Finished always with my best American “you have a nice day now”.

I’m always amazed what comes out. I think the severity of the vitriol I spout has reached a new level since my father in law lost some of his higher brain function due to a tumour and mini strokes and he gets caught out and really worried by this sort of scam.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'there's no need to swear/be abusive sir...'

...you phoned me... therefore, you must want the abuse.

IanW, adidan, MLyons and 2 others like this.
  14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

"Don't be a scum sucking parasite praying on the weak then." Is my family friendly response.

Given English is normally not the callers native language, I'm not sure the level of comprehension is there to fully understand the subtleties of what's being said and I have only ever had one caller stay to end, so my "have a nice day" is normally wasted.

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

"Your PC has been compromised, and we've detected several malware applications" 'Oh goodness me, however did that happen?!' "I don't know sir, but rest assured we can fix it for you, we need you to download our app so we can fix it." 'Oh this is far beyond my skills, you'll have to talk me through it' "Absolutely sir, first, open your internet browser." 'OK, I'm browsing' "Excellent, go to www.blahasdfdsfasdfhkrefhgbns.com" 'Sorry, my browser can't seem to find it.' "Oh, what's it saying?" 'Well, nothing, I haven't put any paper in my typewriter yet...'

My favourite is still "oh, really, OK no worries, and may I ask where you got my number? No, no, you're not bothering me, and you're certainly not going to hang up, because if you do, I will take this directly to the authorities. Now I asked you a polite question and I don't think it's unfair to expect a response" 'mumblemumblemumble' "Right, so a third party, OK. Now I presume you're aware of the GDPR regulations that came into effect last year? Excellent. Now here's what's going to happen, I'm going to have a chat with your supervisor about this breach in data protection, you're going to say yes sir, and while that's happening you'll be getting another supervisor to provide me with a copy of any and all information that you hold on me, before implementing a block on this number, forwarding this request on to anyone else who may have my information before deleting said information."

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I even had one try to get me to install TeamViewer... "Why do I need to do that?" *call ended*

17. legoman

"Oh your calling about a virus, Oh I'm using a mac, we don't get viruses" fnar fnar

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

We get those calls in Germany and when you call back you pay for it, literally. Great way to make money nowadays.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..Call back? hwat?

I don't recall ever calling back someone I wasn't expecting a call from. Is that normal behaviour here? To call back, I mean.

adidan likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If they don't leave a message they never get a call back in this house

Mr_Mistoffelees, IanW and liratheal like this.