1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill this, PLEASE - n00b thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 20 Jun 2019.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2020
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Air for me. Water has never appealed.

A full custom loop, yeah it may work a bit better (jury's out for me on that one) people may prefer the look, but it seems too faffy for me.

Horses/courses though.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Consistent noise for me, no fan ramp up and down, of course superior cooling ability of liquid is a benefit.

4. adidan

Is it though?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes, air coolers can't keep my GPU as cool as water even if on max fans, also allows me to crank silly volts through both CPU and GPU that air couldn't contain.

adidan likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, custom water cooling is much better than anything air can offer. Cooler, quieter, no change during the year, etc. AIO's are fairly comparable to air. Custom water costs massively more however!

adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

Yeah, my bad, i had AIOs on the brain for some reason .

I have never seen the point of AIOs for that reason.

Been a long week. Ignore me. I'm ok with air for what I need, it'd have to be full water if i went that route - AIO, nah.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Dunno about quieter I have a ton of fans on my rads and even on low mode it's not good, I should rebuild it really, my pump is over 10 yrs old so a lot of the gear lasts once you have done the initial bit.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It can be tailored in that direction with minimal performance less. Especially compared to GPU coolers...

10. adidan

Headphones Cheesecake :rock:

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Mine is pretty quiet, has the fan curve set so i keep the coolant to below 40C and the fans about 1200rpm under prolonged load. For GPU overclocking it removes temperature constraints pretty much entirely. I've yet to see my GPU hit 50C, even after an 8hour sesh.

adidan likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yeh it used to be good to be fair but I bought a new case and had limited time so didn't wire in my aquaero controller, I should pull my finger out and get it back to former glory that was almost 2 years ago :eek: :duh:

13. The_Crapman

But it can also be a giant pain in the ass! :hehe:

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If you are not happy with your hardware and buy everything that comes out (serial fiddler) avoid water.

If you bought a rig that has the beans to do the distance and you're happy to stick with it go water.

Is air vs water worth it? of course. Not on my CPU if I am being honest. For the most part a 120mm AIO did the trick. However, due to it being 14 core when they were all loaded up the AIO could not cope. I would also imagine air coolers would struggle with it. However that is surmountable.

The GPU though? I get the absolute most out of mine, all the time, every time, with no extra noise above ambient. I have some BeQuiet! fans running at around 6v. Any lower and they either stall out (not PWM) or don't do anything. My rig is very quiet, easily below the ambient living noises of where I live (pigeons, seagulls etc). However, my Titan XP runs at 2100mhz. All day, every day, rain or shine, summer or winter. I don't have to worry about it at all, nor do I even bother checking the temps any more. I have also noticed that when liquid cooling a GPU down to the 50s, possibly early 60s in summer, that I've never had one fail. Leave them on air? I've had two failures, and both cards used to run in the 80s which I still don't think is good for the components.

And this is coming from a guy who too is autistic and did not take a drop within 2 metres of his PC until he was 43. It took me a loooong time to overcome that fear. However, when I looked at it scientifically and logically the bottom line is you are using non conductive coolant.

What I am looking forward to is the water free liquid coolants like cars use now. But I digress... It's well worth doing.

Dr. Coin likes this.
  15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My OC 1080Ti has never exceeded 40°C, even when folding at 100% usage, and is as close to silent as my old ears will ever notice. That's the benefit of water.

adidan likes this.
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is why I did it, to help me curb my rampant upgraditus!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Landux

Landux What's a Dremel?

Any kind of loop requires maintenance… so I'll go for air!

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

It's also a benefit of old ears

19. adidan

Pretty much why i've never gone water loopy.

20. The_Crapman

I ran mine for 3 years without touching anything and only did so because of an upgrade.