1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hes not Gimli surely?

My cycling glasses basically broke yesterday thankfully post ride, appears a replacement frame is exactly the same as a new "set" as in, prescription insert and all the lenses. zero logic there.

Also my normal glasses the left lens has suddenly started turning rather yellow with no explainable cause.

Eyes are expensive...

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

bloomin hot. Might have to mount an NH-D15 to my forehead at this rate. got a normal fan and a USB fan on atm. Hoping for the ice cream man to come around.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bring on Batou-style bionic eyes.

perplekks45 likes this.
  4. legoman

Try a delta instead?

I rigged up a cooler master 20cm one to a USB power pack last night, was perfect nice gentle breeze all but silent.

Also hope ice cream is doggo friendly or you'll be in the vets

Can I just not have fancy normal looking ones?

5. liratheal

Nah. It's either dodgy normal looking ones or weird looking super-functional ones. Ain't no inbetween!

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Indeed they are. I need two pairs, general purpose pair with vari-focal and photochromic lenses plus a pair for the PC, both with hard anti-reflection coating. Even though I get an NHS discount on the main pair, increased because my astigmatism is quite bad, they cost more than 200 knicker, without going for flash frames... To make things worse, for the last decade or so I have needed new glasses every two years but, this time I think I can keep them for 3 before I need a new prescription.

7. legoman

Well, blindness is an option I guess. An I get a dog, I'll never see...

8. liratheal

I'm always mad that I can't pet working dogs. No idea how the blind manage.

9. legoman

I get mine online now, much much cheaper eye test through work then pay half the price store price an get them that way. Current set is a pair of Carrera's 1.76 lenses, anti glare, scratch resistant etc. Cost me £135 same pair in Specsavers was coming out close to £300. Think the yellowing is age though, my prescriptions unchanged so I have had these about four years now. Astigmatism as well so I know the joys of that lens miss match.

It's a struggle as they are usually the most chilled dogs, we have one here. I know the owner the dog comes to me an I'm allowed to pet him taken him on walks etc. When I get a place id happily adopt either a failed or retired one.

liratheal likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's one option to consider and, my wife would have renewed purpose in life, as a guide wife, until I can get a guide dog.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

WHHAAAAATTTT!!!!!!. not a chance I's be able to pull that off without dogbert throwing something at me.

I was tempted to look for a USB to PWN then with some mesh DIY some air conditioning for my summer house but not sure how viable it is. I'll ask him for doggo friendly ice cream.

Sad times.

Much prefer the fluffy dog. Much cheaper

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I don't feel massively well... not in the man-flu kind of sense but emanating pain, further unexplained disconcerting symptoms kind of way.

Not to go into too much detail but I finally have a hospital referral to investigate so in some ways its good news.

13. legoman

Dogs probably cheaper to "run" so to speak.

Mesh could work, I have to do something similar when I put the mothers greenhouse up. Going a bit fancy as it has a pair of automatic vents so I'm going to hook up a Solar panel to a power pack, then hook the fans up to a switch that activates when the vents open. But it needs an option to over ride the fans on/off state.

Speaking of greenhouse I killed the old shed at the weekend. checked the base which is slabs cemeted down, all the slaps are sloping away so what should have been a case of just mix an pour to fill in some gaps is now destroy an re lay. which is going to be ten times the work.

14. liratheal

Some of the saddest, even.

One of the only upsides to one of my old customers was that there were a few people with vision problems who had dogs - But when they were sat at their desk, their dog wasn't working, so was fussable.

Those were good times.

MLyons likes this.
  15. legoman

I'll need to find the photo of Jeff (the guide dog) where he came up under my desk an just put his head on my lap, he loves a good fussing. He's way to polite though, you try an play tug an he just lets go the moment you pull.

MLyons and liratheal like this.
  16. MLyons

I'm thinking an rpi that turns them on depending on temp. I'll have to leave the windows open but could work. have fans in one window as exhaust then use the other as intake.

17. legoman

Could work, depending on the window type you could use an automatic greenhouse opener like I will be (uses wax or similar witchcraft), or just a motor controlled arm using the rpi? WiFi enabled window opening system!

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Knowing Fuel, first mistake was going in without steel toecaps on. :worried:

[edit] can't spell steel :worried:[/edit]

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
    Byron C likes this.
  19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Our IT do not have syncing setup right and I've lost files whilst moving to a PC I used to use

20. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I thought steelies were compulsory attire in that place?