1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi 4 brings new GPU, USB 3.0, 4K

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Jun 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For running two two-drive arrays, there's always the option to use *two* hubs: drive A from each array in one hub, drive B in the other. That way you get full throughput while using array 1 or array 2; only when using both simultaneously will the throughput get halved.

'course, at this point there are probably easier options out there...

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The dual HDMI is an interesting twist. Couple of iPad Mini panels & controller boards (or a couple of small UHD panels + board) plus a RPi4 and you have a playback-only Tensor Display module, as long as the two HDMI signals can be genlocked.

You having a laugh?

Barrel connector:
    - Get the right outer diameter
    - Get the right inner diameter
    - Get the right polarity
    - Get the right voltage PSU
    - Make sure it can supply the needed current

Type C:
    - Make sure it can supply the needed current

Plus you can pick up a USB charger from damn near anywhere. PSUs with barrel connectors (even those garbage 2-pins-and-a-million-flimsy-adapters fire-hazard transformers) are much harder to find now everybody has switched to USB for everything.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Been looking all morning for a 4 drive + USB3 of these:

https://www.span.com/product/USB2+e...TA10-SiI5744-for-2x-SATA-HD-Normal-RAID~16348

Drives go into here, power via a pico PSU, USB output to the Pi.

1) not sure if you can find the 4 drive to USB3 anywhere
    2) might not fit that box you are trying to cram it all into
    3) the bridge board itself needs power, which is via an only school floppy drive connector.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on the box. If you buy just the board, not a lot. If you buy a bundle that includes a power supply, flashes an LED on and off. If you buy a bundle that includes a power supply and a microSD card with an operating system on, flashes an LED on and off in a different pattern. If you buy a bundle that includes a power supply, microSD card with an operating system on, and monitor, brings up a pretty picture. If you buy a bundle that includes a power supply, microSD card with an operating system on, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, it's a PC.

Obviously, you can remove the "buy a bundle" part for any of those things you already own.

Omnislip likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

There's no building to it (regardless of what Kano used to claim with its "build your own PC" kits): microSD goes into microSD slot, HDMI cable goes into HDMI socket, keyboard and mouse go into USB socket, power cable goes into power socket. Job dun.

Yes, there's a book about plugging it in - but it also covers writing your own programs and building circuits and stuff. Also, lots of very pretty pictures I didn't make (and a few I did.)

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

nifty upgrade, just a damn shame i got a couple of 3 B+s other day

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Author seems like a right dodgy bloke :p
    I know my niece has started using scratch, you got a rough idea of the age the book could be aimed at? Might point my sister towards it and a Pi as I assume it could fulfil the role a modern day equivalent to the electronic kit/board thingies we had when we were kids.

MLyons likes this.
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Linux has come on a long way. You can even easily play some Windows games on them now

9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I tend to think of them as motherboards with intergrated CPU, GPU and memory.

Just like regular you would add the following to make a "complete" computer.

Hard drive (in this a micro sd card)
    Case
    Power supply
    Keyb / mouse / monitor

Finally it does need an OS, which most people use linux for that. Windows has been run on the pi, but its not really good enough for a daily driver or simple to install (https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/windows-10-raspberry-pi-hands-on,news-59962.html)

As someone said above, Linux really has come a long way, especially on the Pi as in my opinion a large and active community behind it.

Ive had a couple of Pi's over the years to play with and it can be fun!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Not 'alf.
    Officially, it's good for the sort of seven-plus range - but it really depends on the kid. Very colourful, though, with little cartoon guys and gals popping up to offer advice. Younger kids would definitely need parental assistance, particularly when it comes time to start playing with LEDs - it is still all-too-possible to fry a Pi by shorting a couple of GPIO pins...
    Or legal, for anyone who doesn't have a volume license agreement that includes Windows on Arm...

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have one running PiHole which blocks all adverts on my home network, all for an outlay of under £50. Worth its weight in gold.

12. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Run a pi-hole for your whole network :)

https://pi-hole.net/

Runs off my original model B like a dream :D.

adidan likes this.
  13. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I'm guessing they are still reusing peripherals from BCM2835 days and we can only dream about some up-to-date documentation?

Too bad they ditched second CSI/DSI interface, but at least now we have gigabit and pci-e (any info on what gen it is?), so that opens up way for some things.

Gareth, can you post output of iwlist command?

14. Gareth Halfacree

The official word on a possible datasheet for the BCM2711 was... not promising. Got Broadcom to thank for that one.
    Single lane of PCIe Gen 2, USB, and the gigabit Ethernet for a total of 5Gb/s (ish) of external bandwidth to and from the SoC. Bear in mind the PCie lane is internal to the design, though, it's not something that's broken out for you to shove random hardware onto.
    I'm out of the office right now, but if I remember on my way up to bed tonight I'll fire it up.

15. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Not suprising, this was always the major downside of rpi - no up-to-date datasheets or errata unless you are big enough for Broadcom to sign NDA with you.
    And this went from interesting to couldn't be bothered. Wish i.MX8 based SBC/SOMs would hit the market faster.
    Was thinking about inevitable ComputeModule4 and what could be done with it.

16. adidan

Last edited: 24 Jun 2019
    MLyons likes this.
  17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

18. adidan

19. Gareth Halfacree

Did you mean iwlist - the command to get information about active wireless interfaces - or something else? 'cos "iwlist" on its own ain't going to tell you much.

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

iwlist should return capabilities of wifi adapter, I'm curious what modes/combinations current one supports

Tags: Add Tags