1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Lifting patio slabs that have been cemented down

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 24 Jun 2019.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

So, recently I purchased a greenhouse for El Parento, shes over the moon, the shed its replacing has been killed and is gone leaving the old base which I thought was level, turns out its not, drops a good inch to the left an about the same at the back which explains the sheds lean

Old base is six old flagstone 3X2ft back breaker jobs laid on cement then hardcore. Now It would make my life a hell of a lot easier to re use these slabs plus the four more I have rustled up to make a lovely base basically a small raised patio Only snag being they are cemented down.

Mix looks quite light its been laid on so my thinking is, coal chisel an lump hammer to break up a lot of it around the slabs then crow bar under to try an prise it away? Sound like it should work?

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Should work. You might end up cracking the slabs if you're not careful, though. Take it easy with the chisel. Sounds like a lot of work!

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If you are dropping a 1" over 6' (assuming the pad is arranged in a 6' x 6'), you might consider wish to consider leaving the base as is and pouring some concrete on top to level.

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... by framing with 2"/50mm planking...?

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

That would be easier but I can't shed that's gone was 10X6 greenhouse replacing is the same, but what the guy who laid this has done is spaced six slabs out so there's a gap between them.
    Also I'm just the engineer/hard Labour the designer (the mother) has decided it should be two runs of five slabs with a center line of a foot wide of concrete to give the greenhouse a long enough and wide enough base.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Slabs are fairly brittle surprisingly. You start chiselling near or under them and they are gonna shatter from the vibrations.

liratheal likes this.
  7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

That is what I was Thinking.

That does complicate the task.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jun 2019