1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unconventional radiator surface...your opinion?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by kim, 24 Jun 2019.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

hi guys...I've just read the previous post "What pump is suitable for a CPU and SLi" from Peter187, and some of the answers about radiator's dissipation surface, lead me to think I could go wrong with one of my current projects...as a newB in WC, and even if I make you smile, before buying and building in vain, I prefer to ask about other's opinions and advices:
    I'm actually gathering hardware for an ITX build, based on a Ryzen 7-2700x, running on a B450I Aurus pro wi-fi, cooled by a Swiftec Apogee SFK, and a GTX 1080ti both meaned to be WC on a single loop. I drew plan of a little case of 30/30 cms/(11.8"/11.8"), and for aesthetic reasons, I wanted to have a set of 3x90mm fans on the front, but radiators of this size doesn't exist, so I thought about linking three 90mm radiators, cooled by a push/pull of 90mm fans.
    I start to wonder if that dissipation surface will not be totally undersized...what you think?

2. kim

kim hardware addict

3. kim

kim hardware addict

yes:cool: but I meaned to say, a single 3 fans radiator of 90/270mm, ableit a 2x92mm is produced... by Alphacool also, BTW, thanks for the reply, it's pleasant to be read, but I noticed you were somehow like me, a newb with WC, so I guess you cannot answer my query...:D, however, I didn't quoted on Brett's thread, but thanks for the advices in photography...:)

Last edited: 25 Jun 2019
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Alphacool do triple 80mm rads, but only double 92mm. You could uee a single and a double 92mm though.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

yes :grin: exactly, that's what I aimed, but thing is, will it be enough to cool both ryzen7 and 1080ti, this is what I am wondering :grin:

6. The_Crapman

Oh dear god no. At least if you want them to run at reasonable speeds. Or without deafening fans. Although having said that, @Goatee did do a scratch build using only a dual 80mm radiator, but with a 1070 and not sure what cpu. He might be able to help with what performance/temps he got.

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I had to kill the build as my water temp was 20c over ambient. Components were ok in terms of temps, but my tubing was pretty hot and flexible.

I couldn’t get a comfortable level of noise vs temp.

8. kim

kim hardware addict

omg...I see, well...:sigh:, sad for you, are you talking about this build?
    [​IMG]
    I followed it, it was a nice build, but there are only 2 pulling fans in this build, and I'm planning a push pull with 6x92mm...it may change the results no? :idea: besides, I aim a metal hard tubbing...anyway, I had a crush on a set of 3 Black Ice Nemesis 92mm Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiators and it's ordered already...I'm an hardware addict I can't help it :grin:, I will link them and add a second pump if need be, I don't have most of the components actually...so it will take a few months more, but I will post it here so future will tell...thanks for your answers guys :thumb:

9. The_Crapman

[​IMG]

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Reading the first post I initially thought the plan was to have the radiators stacked... Which is a solid no, but then I realised that wasn't what was being asked.

Be cautious of the push pull fan arrangements. If the fans are not correctly paired then they can decrease rather than increase air flow. Lots of recommendation out there to use corsair SP pushing and an AF to pull, but there is no guarantee as the radiator plays a role in the design too.

Three individual radiators are unlikely to perform as well as one single unit. That said a triple 80 might out perform thee single 92s. Plus you can build a fan shroud that allows you to sill use triple 92 on the triple 80 rad. Without buying and testing multiple arrangements one will never know the truth.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Yep, that’s the one.

I tried triple 80mm fans on a 240 radiator previously, but I wasn’t that impressed with the cooling.

I’m not sure push pull gives a massive advantage, like @Dr. Coin said in my opinion it’s not always worth it but that may be very situational.

Either way please post results

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Just sounds like you're soaking heat, maybe more vents at the top or sides?

13. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for your reply Dr.Coin, of course it wasn't meaned to be stacked but placed on a line, side by side, like on a single radiator...I do my very best to write the better English I can, but I admit English isn't my native language, and even if I practise it every days for almost 15 years, I still experience a lack of vocabulary to express myself in various technical topics :D...
    So if I understand well, you are warning me on the fact that the shape of the wings, impact on the air-flow, giving more or less static pressure, and correctly pair them wouldn't be to use same ones on both sides but AF to pull and SP ones on the other side...? I understand, but unfortunately i'm affraid 92mm fans are not offering such a wide range of options :(...I am enquiring to find the best ones, I ordered some, like some Bequiet...recomandations to use corsair SP are certainly well funded, though, I definitely want to keep some kind of golden ratio, as the MB is ITX and regarding the plans I drew, anyway, 92 is fine, but 120, no, I can't :D too big ;)
    You're right, I thought so, a single one would perform better, but I am stuck with dimentions in this build, that's why I am so picky with the sizes of every part, I even skipped my first idea to attach Alphacool ones...too big.... anyway, thank you very much for these advices, I see better what is necessary to have an effective cooling, but I realise that my aesthetic constraints, put me out of a conventional cooling loop, so I will just make some tests and change my plans only if the cooling is really not efficient or aurally unsatisfying.
    :(
    thank you very much for your answer, I will consider that from now, I have a lot to learn about water cooling i reckon :rolleyes:
    you can be sure of that :D

14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The issue was my reading comprehension not your writing.

Warning, I am using my memory so I might get some of the following incorrect.
    For optimal push pull fans, the first fan must over come the radiator static pressure. The fan draws from essential a static body of air is pushed through the radiator. The second fan is to take all the air pushed through the radiator and give it a an extra push to keep it moving away from the radiator. The second fan has the added complication that it now must deal with a moving air stream of a given volume. The volume will be greater than the volume handled by the first fan as the air will have expanded with the temperature rise. In this application this is very minor, but in larger data centres this can be a substantial. If the second fan is unable to move 100% of the air it will increase the static pressure on the first fan. If the second fan is trying to move more air than available, I don't recall what this does but a starved fan is less than optimal.

Even with the vast number of computer case fans out there the likelihood of get the a correctly match set is slim. You might try a fan speed controller to tune the push and pull fans speeds in an attempt to find an optimal balance (if it even exist).

15. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you for this additional information, I see well the whole process, and I agree, the fan speed controller will be necessary, and I will try several kinds and brands of fans and adjust settings until I skim this unreachable optimal balance...