1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding what do you prefer to cut side of computer case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DizBjOhN104, 7 Nov 2003.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Also a note I usually cut on the inside of the panel so any mistakes or what not are visibile or ruin a paint job

2. Zeke_D

Zeke_D What's a Dremel?

Might have missed some info about this but I am curious about acid etching a case. Just did a bunch of reading on it and think it would be a pretty cool way to add texture. Thinkin maybe even etch through for some wild windows and various perforations.

Pretty nasty process but I like the idea just the same. Any links I missed in my search?

3. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

You think there's a difference between a high gloss finished piece of hardwood and a metal case as far as scratching potential is concerned? And the body man I mentioned doesn't cut wood, he cuts metal. The cabinet guy cuts high density laminates (Formica, etc.). They all scratch.

As a professional who uses a jigsaw numerous times a week for the last 32 years and as an experienced modder who has cut lots of aluminum and steel, to prevent scratching them, I recommend taping the foot of the jigsaw. You can tape the whole panel if you like, but it's unnecessary.

Grump

4. Cinco5

Cinco5 What's a Dremel?

I use a scroll saw, jigsaw, hacksaw, router and Dremel. Really depends on what you are doing. I feel that the dremel is not really adept for cutting but is sweet for just about anything else.

5. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

i never considered taping the bottom of the jigsaw.. hmm interesting.. thanx :D

6. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

This may sound dumb but. How hard is it to cut a window in a steel case with a jigsaw? I have a steel case and I recently ordered a window kit for it and I planned on using a jigsaw to cut out the window. I think I can manage the straight sides but I dont know about the rounded corners. Are there any kind of certain techniques or things I should watch out for when doing round edges?

7. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Fr0z3n,

The case I cut in my tutorial (see link below) is steel. A jigsaw and a good bi-metal blade will cut it just fine. Oh, and I don't know why so many people think a jigsaw is okay for straight cuts, but not curves. A jigsaw's main duty is to cut curves.

Grump

8. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

I find an Air body Saw (or electric, I think they make them).
    It's what I used to cut my window in my project LOG
    A dremel was designed to be a multi purpose tool so it takes the place of other more appropriate tools so people don't have to buy 5 different tools they only need the one to get by.
    I'm going to continue using a Body saw, Router and Files for my windows and a dremel to do any etchings I have to do.

9. KRASH

KRASH What's a Dremel?

use a jigsaw a dremmal is not the ideal tool for large cuts, will take hours and about 12 of those cuttoff wheels. Just mask of the foot of the jigsaw so you dont scratch the case all up!

10. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

I totally agree about taping the foot, but I will disagree that its not the way to go for the novice.. you have to be carefull to keep the foot on the surface, and carefull to put the tape on correctly. For a novice, taping the entire surface provides almost FOOL proof cutting in terms of scratching, and it provides a sense of security while you are working.
    So I wouldn't keep recomending to everyone to tape the foot, but more recomending people do what makes them the most comfortable with the smallest chance of messing it up!!

Thats my 2 cents!

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

i used dremel for my window... there was no chance i would have managed to saw it out without bending the metal... (check my sign. and you will understand what i mean... those small things between the feathers)... However, a normally shaped windoe should be just fine with a proper metal blade for jigsaw...

if using a jugsaw, just remember to hold the saw straight onto the metal... if you hold it firmly it wont lock up and start jumping, but if you lift it 2mm over the surface you WILL mess up something... however, there is no use in pushing the saw hard onto the panel... it won't do any good anyway.. all this is just a matter of experience... i suggest you try it out on some scrap pieces first.. and don't cut to close the edge, you have to pull out the files anyway...

ATi Loyalist: That is defeneatly a laser, water or dremel job... and a LOT of hand filing... I actually considered that shape... the only thing that stopped me was those small "circles" in the tail of the dragon...

as for taping the panel: tape both sides, cut from the inside (remember that the shape gets mirrored!!)if you HAVE to cut from the outside, find some electrical tape and use masking tape on top of that... you will have to wash of the glue from the tape though, but you will probably not scratch anything... to be sure you can tape the saw itself aswell...

side note: i have cut hardwood before, i did tape the saw, not the wood... just be careful to get rid of the chips as you cut... compressed air helps alot..

12. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips everyone. :) My window kit will be here tomorrow after noon as well as the rest of my stuff. Im going to attempt to cut out the window with a jigsaw and maybe use a hole-saw on the corners so that they will be nice and rounded. I will be sure to post pics and everything of how it came out. Hopefully it will be good. :rolleyes:

13. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

I use clear shelving paper…it’s the best.

And an air nibbler...

Last edited: 17 Nov 2003
  14. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

wow didn't know Rotozip had been bought by bosche and redesigned although they look a hell of alot better then the one sitting in its box :D
    Damn good tool for cutting plastics of all kinds there nothing better.

Id stick with a trusted jigsaw for metal though or some snips, or if you can afford the labor programing and time. Water or laser :p but thats never gonna happen so go out and buy yourself a nice jigsaw and a file set :p

16. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

oxyacetelen torch for steel, but the jigsaw works well for all.