1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well if you're any good with cars, or scenery through which cars might drive let me know and I can see if there's anything going at either codies or playground.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

funny you say that I used to work at codies b'ham back when they just acquired Swordfish, was an IT clown back then and got ousted when they moved the job over to southam without a pay increase, I wasn't willing to pull a 70 mile round trip a day for sub 20K, but I really liked the studio and would like to go back, Just got a msg back from the operations manager with some contacts including playground, but last time i looked at playground they were being anal with their requirements. but yeah im a petrol head and would like to work on car related stuff.

3. The_Crapman

Yeh Southam is a bit of a mission. Used to knacker me out when I worked there and I wasn't even the one driving! Ha ha.

4. The_Crapman

Giant cars with tiny boots and no room anywhere. Nissan quashqai I'm looking at you. Or at least I would be if I didn't have to have a suitcase in my face

Only an hour late leaving for the airport.

adidan likes this.
  5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Skoda Superb estate - soooooo much space.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd take that as a win.

It does fry my nerves. Apparently i want to get everywhere tooooo early. No my dear, just on time...

The_Crapman, liratheal and MadGinga like this.
  7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

With airports I'd rather spend an extra hour on the plane-side of security than be late.

I'm not rich enough for planes to wait for me before they depart.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The opossum is back. Confirmed a he, he's hiding under furniture in our junk room. Set a bucket of food out to see if we can tempt him out. Little ******* knocked over so much stuff.

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Agreed. Oh, so agreed.

SWMBO has decreed that all clocks in the house must run 5 minutes fast, so she knows she has 5minutes to sort her sh*t out when she realises she should have left, but then keeps doing what she was doing for those 5 minutes anyway.

Add to that, that she estimates tasks at at about 50% (max) of their actual duration.

So likelihood of us being on time? hah. no. Not unless i speed...

And then if/when we do manage not to be late, its justification of her behaviour...

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

adidan likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Word. I get to the airport crazy-early, and take a book and enough cash for some overpriced beer. (Can't remember which airport it was now, but I nursed a pint of something not-terribly-exciting at one for north of €10 once. Made That There London seem positively affordable!)

I also travel without checked luggage, if I'm going somewhere for work: I can cram at least four days worth of clothes plus my camera gear, laptop, and other work-related stuff in my Crumpler Half Jackpack and still have it as carry on. It's great getting to the other end and breezing straight past everyone waiting at the luggage collection point - and no risk my camera'll get damaged, lost, or stolen. With some careful packing I could extend things to a week if I really had to, though after that it's time to find a nearby laundrette or splash out on the hotel's laundry service...

Last edited: 2 Jul 2019
    IanW, Arboreal, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Airport beer is expensive as, but I'd rather have time for airport beer than be one of those headless chickens running for a flight they probably already missed.

I'm also not a fan of checked baggage, but that's because I don't trust someone paid poorly and probably under a lot of time pressure to be as careful with my things as I would.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Second that, Also my Passat is rather amusingly cavernous, not quite on the old Saabs standard but close.

Oh side not on the windows bong, simple way to turn if off, change the file. One of the guys here told me about a time they swapped the old winXP shutdown sound for an exert from an adult film, the victim would always use his laptop in the library speakers on full not caring when he shut down about annoying everyone with the shutdown music.
    For those of you who don't remember XP wouldn't shut down till it completed the sound file...

Today's demote, two things. One I worked out on my "time off" in two weeks I get a grand total of three days of it to myself of the fourteen I'm taking, the mother unveiled her list of jobs.

And I had a mild panic attack in the carpark over coming to work. Mixture of hate and dread etc. Having to make sure I get to work early so I can deal with these as they are getting more frequent.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Same. Back in 2016, I invested in a carryon-sized backpack and some vacuum bags, because 1st leg of my trip was Ryanair Liverpool to Dublin to catch cheapo Dublin-LA flight for 2 weeks.
    Vacuum bags for clothing are the trick. :thumb:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  14. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Combination heatstroke and food poisoning. Spent the weekend sweating cobs despite 2 big fans going full blast, screaming headache, dehydration, the works. Had a nap at 5pm Sunday, woke up at 3am, spent the rest of the night on the bathroom floor. Not the cleverest thing I've done but still feeling pretty grim.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like CloudFlare have pulled an oops again.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Wanna bet it's another BGP hijack?

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Normally I would but with the other one so recently I'm going with someone at cloudflare actually messing something up this time.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Looks more likely, it all suddenly splatted about a half hour ago, literally seems to have come back on now but itll probably fall over as everyone panic reconnects

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You now need to be a business seller on eBay to buy 72mg nicotine.

Grrrrrrrr!

Any one know a way around this? Or do you need a vat number to register as a business?

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

God bless the nanny EU state.