1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hasn't happened yet. That's still in discussion.

AMD act...
    *Laser with amusingly an AMD logo appears on chest
    No comment.
    *Doge lives another day

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Cheers, literally just had a text from my mate saying they want to interview me.

IanW and adidan like this.
  3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Sounds like the exact spec of my first custom build as well, I built it to play Quake MP over bonded ISDN lines. It ended up as an NT4 rig as it was more stable than Windows 95 once you got the Quake and graphics drivers sorted.

Ahhh the joy of a 128kbit/s low ping connection when everyone else was on 28.8, 33.6 or 56k connections. Also the joy of being able to claim the per minute charges through my company at the time.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's just brought back memories of having to check with everyone in the house if they needed the phone because you were going on the internet.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

When I was in a shared house, I installed my own phone line through the local cable TV company because it offered a special internet dial up number which was free 8pm-8am weekdays and 8pm Friday to 8am Monday - although this was only 56k. When I moved into my own flat (ahh, the joys of being single and contracting), the ISDN was all mine. I replaced it with 10Mb cable when Cable London (which borged into Blueyonder then Telewest then Virgin) put a run up my street.

Funny story, I replaced Sky with Virgin this year and when the Virgin installer asked me if I had ever had cable before, I told him I had cable in 1997, he just replied that he was only born in 1999 - I felt really old.

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

:(

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Quickest way to cause a ruckus in my house was to go on the internet when someone was on the phone...

"Yeah so I said to her... oh... OH GOD! SOMEONES GOING ON THE INTERNET!!! WHOOOS ON THE INTERNET!! TURN IT OFF I'M ON THE PHONE!... Hold on Sandra some little shits turned on the internet. GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!"

adidan likes this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I remember using ISDN, downloading at heady 14KB per second!

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:eek:

I think one of my email accounts is older than him.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know for a fact my mobile number is...

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As is mine...I had my first Orange phone in 1996, some cheap phone as a Nokia was too expensive at the time!

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Born in 1999. Madness.

13. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Following failed attempts to gain even the highest rate of interest finance for a set of replacement alloy wheels*, my local credit union (of which I'm a member) has agree to lend me the money and I've just signed the credit agreement.

I don't intend on running immediately out and buying anything because I don't need to. but having the cash available at a low rate of interest has taken a major amount of stress from my shoulders.

*from ruining thread, not a cosmetic purchase, dents in two, slight rumble and potential to fail

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Some Ericsson thing for me. One of the ones that had the pull-up antenna that was made entirely out of flexible plastic and did nothing except make you feel better.

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

We have apps older than the people working on them (oracle 6) I also have a Windows NT migration area sign I made to confuse people looking for the windows 10 support. NT is older than one of the guys working with me on win10.

Oh mobiles, motorola Startac

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

My mobile number is older than the Virgin installer as well, Orange from 1996 or 1997 iirc, oh and I had a Startac as well - for about a week then got a Nokia.

Windows NT rocked - once you got it to the right SP and made sure your drivers were solid, my desktop was NT4 at the time as 95 and 98 were too flakey, especially the internet stack.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dear god, life is a roller coaster. Up, down, up down...

I mentioned a while back that I had set a solicitor on my ex landlady for not securing my deposit. Due to the length of time it took her I could be looking at thousands. They reckon they will offer her 3-4 months rent, or, if it goes to court it will be 6-10x. There was something else she had done too that was not correct.

So any way I read the small print. Solicitor pockets 35% of the winnings. I also allowed them to take £150 on the offchance she tries to counter sue. Apparently that insures that... However, if they lose? I could be looking at £500 or so in solicitor's fees. So it's not really "No win no fee" because there are fees. Any way, I was convinced that we'd win because they wouldn't get their hands dirty otherwise.

So yeah, about four days ago the letter lands on my landlady's doormat. She immediately responds, telling the solicitor that I basically did not pay her the rent until 13 months after I moved in. As ludicrous as that sounds it did stand a chance of totally scuppering me. Why? because nearly all of the deposit was paid by my ex, so I had no proof it was paid when we moved in. I don't speak to my ex, I don't know where she even is or her phone number and besides I wouldn't do that any way. She would also like to see me dead, so the chance of her helping me to make cash would just be laughed at any way.

So I get really stressed, wishing I had not gone through with this. I get the determination from my nan. So yeah, I carry on with other things. Flooring out a loft, putting bikes away, putting bikes together and so on. So I am sitting downstairs about an hour ago having something to eat and I think "I gotta get that old suitcase with all of my paperwork in it out of mum's and back to my flat". I put it here when I was moving so nothing got lost. Passports, bills, etc etc.

And then all of a sudden it happened. *PING* in my brain. Ten minutes later and.....

[​IMG]

I do believe they call that dynamite. In her handwriting, with a bank statement from myself showing a bank transfer called "Holding Deposit" on the 20th October 2013.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear......

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Somebody hasn't read the leaked (German) PCGH review... :worried:

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

After more googling, it seems I'm not the only one with either a Zero W or an older Pi getting segfaults on Cloudflared's latest stable release, as per this; https://github.com/cloudflare/cloudflared/issues/38

So taking the suggestion that an older version works, I tried it too. It does indeed work.

I think this means I just have to buy a non-zero Pi.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Hmm - I wonder if they've started compiling for ARMv7 instead of ARMv6 and just forgot to tell anyone. That'd certainly do it.