1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I was a moderator on the OCS forums when Trubs did that and I re-hosted it on my website for years and years after just to avoid the bandwidth killing the OCD forums. Good times.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

RAM is fooked...
    Corsair's RMA...

f'kin joy...

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Barely staying a float covering a job I'm no where near ready to handle, don't have the time to explain to managers or where I'm struggling, having to spend time reading notes on each task as a refresher.

Anxiety builiding as to when the person returns I will get alot of "you did this wrong" and not a single "well done for what you did manage".

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Speak up mate, I know it seems impossible but the only thing you're going to do is turn yourself into an anxious mess. I've been in a similar position where I felt like an imposter covering a job. It got to a point I couldn't sleep/eat for days due to anxiety and I just blurted out "I have no idea what I'm doing" when the brain fog just made it impossible to go much further.

Its better to care for your own mental well being and less about upsetting the apple cart, Management are paid to take care of these such situations and if they're good at it they'd rather you share it sooner rather than later!

adidan, goldstar0011, IanW and 2 others like this.
  5. RedFlames

Corsar's support/RMA process...

i get it corsair... ****'s old, you'd rather i forget about it and buy something new, but lifetime warranty means replace the ****ing ram you bellends...

Guest-44638 likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

"OMG, someone has the audacity to hold us to our lifetime warranty!"

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I'll be forcing a chat with my senior boss who is also the person directly affected by this work I'm covering. He knows I always give 100% and fess up to mistakes, it's up to him to handle things going forward and further training.
    The anxiety comes from that I am trying and want to get it all right but the person training me isn't that good at training, she's done this job over 25 years so it's second nature to her

8. RedFlames

Can't really afford the postage to send the stuff back... but i can afford the alternatives even less.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Much may depend on how they define lifetime and whether their definition is legal in this country.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Tried to hang wallpaper for the third time, despite saying "I'm never wallpapering again" after the last two times.

Didn't get a satisfactory result. Took it all off, now I'm in the pub, and there I shall stay until I'm certain my wife has gone to bed.

It's difficult to explain having tried really hard at a difficult task and failing, to a person who has never done such a thing.

Arboreal, IanW, Vault-Tec and 4 others like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm not underestimating the risk involved in contracting, but at the same time it'll be a lot easier while I have such a short notice period. I still haven't really made up my mind about this role, contracting is certainly not something I'm going to ignore.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Too late now, but I'd always go for "paste the wall" wallpaper as it's far, far easier to hang (plus no fannying about with a pasting table).

ElThomsono likes this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I used that for the lining paper, which drank all the paste and then bubbled, requiring me to peel it back and apply more paste. Fine normally but I'd laid it horizontally, which meant it started to fall off the wall.

It was like a Charlie Chaplin sketch, but with the benefit of being able to hear me swear.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My mother has a blocked liquid channel in her brain which seems to cause her to become unresponsive for periods of time. The doctors see another brain surgery coming very soon. This'll be #8 for her.

On top of that she'll have another MRI scan on her brain on July 25 to check for possible growth of her brain tumor, basically a check-up three months after her radiation therapy.

Needless to say I'm on edge.

Well, to top it off I feel like crap and think I'm developing a nasty cold.

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Partners grandad got the full diagnosis today and its not good, Incurable cancer, no radiotherapy, no chemotherapy they're going to make him comfortable but he has 6 months to live.

needless to say she is absolutely devasted, we're meant to be going away tomorrow but I'm honestly not sure what's going to come of it.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sad to hear that. But you have to keep yourself and her going. Might sound harsh, but being idle and getting into suffering-mode will just hurt everyone. Been in that situation myself way too often and if you're strong it'll help those around you.

You'll get through this and so will she.

IanW and MLyons like this.
  17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Got a 3900X / x570 combo sat idle waiting until Bungie fix their **** and get Destiny 2 working on Ryzen 3xxx series CPU's...

At least I can spend the time grinding for Bad Juju and benchmarking the 2700X to compare.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Office PC is misbehaving, cant open new browser tabs explorer is about as stable as my mental health and office keeps crashing

:worried:

Maybe I can get another month before its totally un useable

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Niiiiice. My desktop's at:

Code:
    blacklaw@shodan:/tmp$ uptime
     09:24:28 up 23 days, 21:22,  3 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.61, 0.56

But the server, meanwhile...

Code:
    blacklaw@Altair:~$ uptime
     09:24:51 up 555 days, 22:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.05

I really need to upgrade it to the latest Ubuntu LTS at some point. I'll be sad to see that uptime go!

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

offf, that server, needs another 111 days of uptime surely

Byron C and perplekks45 like this.