1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with cutting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bloody_Pete, 18 Jul 2019.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hi All

I have some of these but I need to cut about 5mm off the end. I have no tools, so I was wondering what your suggestions are?

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Unless you've got some pretty substantial teeth going on, I think your gonna need to pickup a file or hacksaw at the minimum, even then without a clamp its gonna be tricky as they don't look overly long.

Is this to create watercooling plugs for spare holes?

Guest-44638 likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, I need some flush fittings for my Rad. I'm going to borrow my colleagues angle grinder , and I have a clamp at work, and give that a go I think.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

No tools at all?

The cheapest option would be a metal file, but that would be very time consuming and you'd likely need arms like popeye. A small hacksaw might not be great at getting through brass, but worth a try for a few quid maybe and a file to finish.

If you don't fancy manual labour, especially if you're doing a fair few, a dremel's cutting wheel would be ideal. If you're unlikely to use it for much else, you could get a cheaper rotary tool; silvering, vonhaus, silverline etc.

Edit: are you sure this will work? They might not seal properly without an overlap and an o-ring. I think you'd be better off with a low profile plug

Last edited: 18 Jul 2019
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Unfortunately there's no space, not even for a low profile plug! I've tested with them and the threads seems to have a bottom (ie they'll only go in so far), so a bit of PTFE tape and it should be perfectly fine! I'm going to give an angle grinder a go. I have 10 and only need 2-4, so plenty of practice pieces!

6. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Am sure an angle grinder will purr though those like its cutting butter. We all managed back in the day with rolls of PTFE so I'm sure it'll be ok, maybe just wind it kind of top heavy as you won't be left with a whole lot of thread to PTFE once you've too 5mm away.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Exactly what I was thinking, especially as its metal to metal, so no chance of splitting (like on plastic mounts). I may even give it a dab of PVA glue on the outside just as a final seal, none of these will be viable anyway!

8. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

How tall are they? They look about 10mm long so if you are cutting them in half you risk breaching the hex hole so will need to take 2-3mm off the hex side and the rest off the bottom, instead of all off the bottom.

Osgeld likes this.
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

[​IMG]

PLUS

[​IMG]

Edit: you could probably get away with a thread file instead of a thread die.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2019
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I went buck wild with and angle grinder (I had to trim my pump mount too) ,and they appear to fit well :)