1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommendations for a precision screwdriver set

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 17 Jul 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I saw another thread with this topic but it seemed to be asking for a Multibit Ratchet Screwdriver. I'm looking for the kind used for a small screw in a deep hole

Something like this but a bit better.
    [​IMG]

The last thread also got me thinking I could use an upgrade for my multibit as well as the bits are pretty crap. My current one is a STANLEY Multibit Ratchet Screwdriver + 10 Bits
    [​IMG]

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. silk186

silk186 Derp

6. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

one thing to keep in mind about the single handle multi bit sets is they are much wider ... so if you have a tiny screw in a deep hole it might not fit (I run into that all the time but I work on consumer electronics and game consoles all the time for a hobby)

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Probably... aside from the m.2 screws you'll not need a 'precision' screwdriver like those for pc building. A decent #2 Phillips is all you need 99% of the time.

8. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

yes, this is all that is really required for most pc building ... maybe a standard one for convenience and a longer one so you are not busting your knuckles on the motherboard / heat sink installs, should cost less than a buck each at the discount store or bottom shelf at your local home center

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

I used my cheap set of little screwdrivers a lot. The problem with them, other than losing them, is that you can't get a good grip with the skinny handle.
    The upside is that they don't take up much space. Nicer sets with a box are available but at £25-40 which is fine is used regularly.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The blades are just shy of 2" and I wouldn't use them for pc tinkering, in fact I just remembered when I went to measure one that all mine are torx and I use them for taking various electronics apart, like phones ect. I have a separate set of draper precision drivers that have standard flat and posi ends but again I wouldn't use them on the pc necessarily.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For precision bits, can't go wrong with Wera or Wiha.

If you're after drivers to work on PC bits, then a really nice PH2 driver is pretty much all you need for 99% of standard parts (some OEM only parts like Dell/Lenovo/HP workstations may have some Torx scattered around inside), maybe a PH1 for m.2 drives or laptop disassembly. A long-shaft driver (e.g. Wera 05008725001) will do just fine for things like awkward heatsink screws.

Arboreal and silk186 like this.
  13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have a self created set of Stanley Fatmax drivers, as they have nice handles.
    I started with PH2 and that was it for a while. I then added T15 for HP as edzieba said, and now have PH 00 / 0 / 1 / 2, PZ 0 / 2, T15, 4 straight blade and a 1/4 socket drive holder to do GPU 'nuts' and something bigger that I can't quite recall... The smaller ones came in a set of 6 IIRC.

They're like this set at Screwfix, but more useful

I have a lovely Wiha electrician's insulated thin blade set, but the Fatmax are nicer IMHO

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Careful, dem's fightin' words!

15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Horses for courses dear boy!
    Wiha and Wera definitely have the quality, and if probably buy one of them given the chance to start again. Definitely if I was using them for daily work.
    The fat max PH2 with a good grippy handle is a pleasure to use for PC building IMHO.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  16. silk186

silk186 Derp

Looking at Wera tools, what are VDE, SB VDE and iSS?

What is a good multi-driver to get around £25?
    The Makita looks better than the Stanley I have and some Wera options could work.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC they're standards orgs [well, VDE is], in this instance regarding electrical resistance [so you don't zap yourself through the screwdriver when working on electrical stuff]

Tags: