1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Well, Episode 1 in the sense of Episode IV of Star Wars. They have spoken of a trilogy of squadron games coming out.

Freelancer (2003) was still extremely well received and still ranks in my top 3 space games, despite it not reaching the original ambition and pitch.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For those who still care, Alpha 3.6 has gone live.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Quite a lot of new content for 3.6. I wonder how the new law system works out

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The 890J is now available to those with 3.6.2 PTU access.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

For those still interested in the development, a nice ten minute video of their slight changing of the quarterly updates:

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

3.6.2 now live. 200m superyachts available to owners.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

3.7 just went live. Sorry, 0.0.3.7, given it's still an alpha. To quote the email I just received:

IanW and kosch like this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last edited: 11 Oct 2019
  9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just tried out 3.7. Shared missions are fab - everything works as intended for the ones I tried. Spent about half an hour flying to a moon and exploring a cave system to find a missing person.

Sadly they were dead at the bottom of a ravine.

Had some buggy ship related issues. I really am looking forward to it being closer to feature complete so they can squash bugs a bit more often.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Week-long "Free Fly" event announced, beginning Monday.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Citizen Con on 23rd November, CIG have posted the schedule of the event.

I'm looking forward to the Terra Firmer, Locked Up, Hex Appeal and the closing keynote. I finally get to go after missing out on the free ticket on this very thread 4 years ago!

Squadron 42 episode one will be feature complete, that is what 80% of their resources are being spent on. To paraphrase Erin Roberts, they are trying to get something finished (of good/working quality) out the door.

14. Gareth Halfacree

I will, as they say, believe it when I see it. Unless they've just stopped listening to Roberts, in which case they probably *could* actually finish (part of) something...

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks for the share. That is a very balanced article overall.

Many people felt or predicted the project would be finished this year in terms of funding as backers saw this "snake oil" for what it is and withdrew their support. However, I went to Citizen Con, I spoke personally to 4 CIG employees including Chris Robert's brother plus several other fans and backers. I am convinced that the fan base loyalty is so strong and that the funding will not dry up. Or in other words, that the project is highly unlikely to fail financially as predicted.

Whether that means a finished, feature complete, Star Citizen is released some day, I don't know. My sense is that they will keep releasing iterated builds with new content/features until the time comes to say "this is beta now, we will persist player and entity states between patches" but continue balancing and adding, which is Chris Robert's assertion. For example, version 3.8 (or 0.0.3.8 if that is your pleasure) has been released to all backers with a new planet and some allegedly important tech that allows the servers to selectively stream parts of the universe out of memory, enabling better performance and capacity to add more content (in theory).

I doubt however that the single player game Squadron 42 will be out in any form in 2020 as promised, based on previous experience. When I asked Erin Roberts about Squadron 42, as there was no mention during the conference, he was guarded and said they will show Squadron when it is ready to be shown and near completion.

Again however, I am certain that this project, despite the armchair naysayers, will still be here this time next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, particularly as the large backer base is loyal and continue to put their own money in.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ahh, Star Citizen...

The development has gone on so long that I've changed as a person since its start. Crazy to think of the amount of time I used to spend playing it.

That's not a complaint, just an observation.

I've not touched it for so long that I may as well be starting all over again. I think I'm just going to wait for S42 to play through before I get back into the multiplayer.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  19. rollo

rollo Modder

Till the BBC article came out I forgot I owned about a £100 worth of stuff in this game lol

if it ever sees light of day as anything more than a playable demo time will tell

even in my biggest fears I did not think it would take so long

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

They broke their monthly pledge income record in November, and then broke it again in December. Ironically, those who are also waiting for it to fold/end/fail will need to wait longer too.