1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 1903 update wont install

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr Meltdown, 5 Aug 2019.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Man what a pain in the rear end this stupid update is. My main rig will not for love or money update to it. Currently on 1803 and if i download the x64 1809 update or security update it says it is not for my system. So cant even go to 1809 first (thinking that may have been the problem).

Tried all the fixes and methods i have seen and spent 3 solid days on it so far. I have fixed things and got different error messages from before but still no go. Basically just left with clean install and try and get all my software and accounts back up and running again which i absolutely would rather not have to do.

I think it must be because I have resized partitions using non MS methods in the past. I read someone else having same error and he fixed it with diskpart but no explanation given and i couldnt see what the hell he might be meaning when i was in diskpart earlier today.

I have tried about 10 times now using different "fixes." Either i give up or do a clean install unless anyone has any better ideas?

Current error code: error.jpg
    Previous error codes were this one and 0x8007003.

2. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Ok after doing many things to it today including fixing the update database several times and updating the network drivers it was seemingly having issues with suddenly 2 cumulative updates and a security update have come down for 1803 and now i am apparently up to date with no 1903 on offer at all.

i might try forcing the 1903 manually on it again tomorrow, bit for today i have given up as i have an elusive target in Hitman to kill tonight.

3. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

ISO is same as make usb option when using the MC tool i think, checked file number and sizes so iso and usb option are the same image.

I havent run the iso though as it is same as usb option and i have just copied that to desktop folder and run it from there (setup.exe as administrator) at least 5 times now, craps out around 60% on installation.

Just done some more rummaging and found my administrator account is disabled die to being an upgrade from windows 7 (who knew!) So enabled that and am currently in admin account, but it still wont let me delete files like the iis keys that may be holding it back saying i dont have access, maybe a reboot is needed?

Currently running the sfc and dism scans again (probably the 7th time) but now in administrator account and will run the update from this account after a reboot.

4. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Same error code. Battling now to remove IIS which is refusing to budge.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you have it as a USB option, did you boot from the USB drive and install fresh or is that not an option?

6. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I give up. I cant remove IIS using any method I have seen today. Clean boot (minimal drivers / services) with all network stuff deleted or disabled (as realtek was showing a failed update each time i try the 1903) and exact same result.

Would booting off the iso or usb really be any different than running the same from desktop?

As i was soon to be doing a motherboard upgrade I will just wait until then and do a fresh install on a different disk and then see about the chore of getting all my stuff back across to it from this PC. Any easy ways to do that?

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Booting from a USB stick gives you the option to clean install (i.e. wipe hard drive and start again). It's a last resort, hence why I asked if it's an option for your situation.

8. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Booted usb and seen the difference, wont be doing clean install until i get another PC together to do it on.

Just resized system reserved partition as it was 100mb from windows 7 instead of 500mb for windows 10. Still couldnt remove IIS and am not holding any hopes it will be any different with 1903 that is currently trying again.

IIS removal error code:
    0x800f0922

This error might mean that your PC couldn't connect to the Windows Update servers. If you're using a VPN connection to connect to a work network, disconnect from the network and turn off the VPN software (if applicable) and try upgrading again.

The error could also mean there isn't enough free space in the System Reserved partition. You might be able to fix this problem by using third-party software to increase the size of the System Reserved partition.

9. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I have seen a couple of others on the internet with exact same errors and no solutions working, so I will have to bite the bullet and do a clean install at some point, probably well overdue as this Windows 7 and subsequent Windows 10 upgrade is probably around 8 years old now and has served me well.

10. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Deleted IIS keys, needed to set ownership and permissions so administrator could delete them.

Resized reserve partition and deleted IIS keys still cant remove IIS and 1903 still craps out at 60% with same errors.

Have now fuxxored the update system using dism and pointing it at 1903 folder, LOL. Given up and will image this disk onto another one and then fresh install on this one or might finally take the plunge for an ssd.

11. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

512GB SSD in.

Messed around cloning my drive at 1st which worked well until EASEUS crapped out and made it unbootable so went for the clean install which is quite painless these days with account linking to Windows etc. Pointed it at My Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures etc which is always on a different drive for me these days, installed a few drivers and apps, pointed steam at my games which are always on another drive also and bam away we go.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Removing ISS (via the very specific instructions on how to remove ISS ) is only way to fix it (or clean reload)

I have done it my self when I was getting the same problem on a customer pc when it gets to around 60%, once I removed the broken ISS that was aborting the setup and it got to 60% and then jumped back to 40% and then continued past 60%

13. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Just out of interest (and as i still have the 1tb system drive i can plug back in and try it on) how do you remove IIS as i was unable to do so?