1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning CNC shopping again. help!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cheapskate, 4 Aug 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Time, server migrations, and crappy google updates have killed all the old cnc discussion threads, so I think it's time I brought it up again. -Although the old threads are probably obsolete anyway...

I'm thinking I might want a 2'x2' gantry cnc, but I also think I can build my own on the cheap. I'm in no particular hurry either. So I'm hoping for some feedback on good plans available or parts kits. The Taig machine has been fantastic, but the tiny work area has been an obstacle since day one. Storage space is still an issue, so I'm contemplating a vertical table setup. (I mean, I'm using a rotary table for a footrest ffs.)

TL;DR=
    Looking for a good 2x2 model or kit.

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Can't say much for kits, but my homemade one has a cutting area of about 400x300mm. You're welcome to the SketchUp file, ugly as it is.

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. Cheapskate

Ug. I forgot how slow the modding page is.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm collecting parts for this - it's fairly modular, so you can make the dimensions anything you want. I know it says "Dremel CNC", but quite a few people on the TwitBook group are using proper speed controlled spindles.

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Egad! He's using rotary bearings for slide bushings... and it looks like the screws fit in the bearings on the threads?!?
    Still, It's got me thinking. I have a sheet of .5" HDPE I could make bushings with.
    I don't think my controller would support the 2nd motor on the Y axis, though.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point. He is using linear bearings not rotary bearings for the sliding parts, and rotary bearings to capture the ends of the lead screws. I'm replacing the linear bearings with IGUS replacements, just because I've got a few left over from other things. With regards to the extra Y-axis motor, would your controller be able to cope with running two motors off one controller? Failing that, combo Arduino/CNC shields are reasonably cheap.

I liked it as an idea because it's reasonably cheap, it's modular, and all of the bits are 3D printed so it should be fairly easy to upgrade at a later date. That's all I need at the moment - of course, YMMV ;)

7. Cheapskate

I'm reading it's doable, but not recommended. This is the setup I overheated twice and resorted to watercooling, so I see a belt drive in my future.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I thought that was just because you were additcted to watercooling all the things :D

9. Cheapskate

You will be heartbroken to know I removed one pump from my mill loop the other day. :p
    I kinda have to watercool with the way I build things. Venting ruins the aesthetic.

Tags: