1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WoW Classic

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by nimbu, 23 Jul 2019.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I played WoW since closed beta when a mage had invisibility, set invisible > pyroblast (rolled a mage and got insta-nerfed). Got to the third expansion IIRC, like level 90 when things became very samey. Didn't hang around for the flying mounts to be enabled in the old map. I should probably check my account to see how it is!

I highly doubt I will play this though. This kind of game just lost its appeal and it needs a proper time investment. It was fine when I was 17, not at 34.

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

After some late night reddit searching, I have found a cool horde eu guild that does have a casual non raider rank.

I checked with their GL and he said it would be ok if I gave out the public discord. He wants to do a quick vet before accepting just anyone.

Ive explained that I was looking for a casual spot to have a community to hang out with, do 5 man stuff etc. and that I was not expecting a raid spot. Though I also explained that if a spot needed filling and I had the spec / experience to join I would be up for that.

Their discord is: https://discord.gg/7Vpmx7c

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

27 days to go until global release. Tried to find an option to pre-load the software last night but it's still not available through the Blizz launcher, despite there being instructions on how to pre-load on Blizz's www.

You do have to have a current sub to normal WoW in order to access Classic though. That much has become apparent.

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I couldn't find it either, guessing that it will be out a little closer to when we can reserve character names.

Also yup need a regular wow sub to play classic. Spose it looks good at board meetings when they can say we have X million subscribers.

Though worth noting someone posted a convo with blizz support. You can roll a free wow starter account and then add a subscription. So no need to actually purchase the base game.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep, that's what I've read too. There's quite a lot of vitriol on Blizz forums regarding the decision to roll the classic into the current subscription and the general consensus seems to be that they've done that to increase active subscription figures for the main game at the same time.

I'd have preferred a completely separate sub, albeit at a slightly discounted rate where possible; however, that wouldn't fit Blizz's business model so I guess we've got what we've got.

I suppose having access to both games for the price of one, it's hard to grumble too much but the current WoW community can be quite toxic and I hoped to have some clear separation. Let's hope all the l33t kids stay on current WoW and the thought of only hitting lvl60 puts them off...

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I think the leet kids will be in for a shock. Was playing some BFA while I wait for classic and it's so so different.

I'm more worried about the small group that will come from private servers that will be hardcore elitists. Also I've been reading about streamers, it seems the communities that follow them can be pretty dickish

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I think that, if there's a choice of servers at launch, I'll be picking a low pop one in the hope that the leetists will opt for high pop to maximise progress/cash at launch. The low pop ones will catch up eventually and I plan to play casually, so it suits me fine!

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I know that guild I'm planning to hang with are also planning to avoid the streamers too, make sure u guys check then out!

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

They largely won't affect the majority of gamers anyway as almost everyone opts for PvE servers.

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hehe I'm rolling PvP just like vanilla! Got to think of all those brd ganking fun times! Or MC into lava!

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I *hated* the PvP server I was first on. Couldn't even complete basic quest chains because I kept getting ganked by higher level rogues...

Spawn, gank, die, repeat.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

PRELOAD NOW AVAILABLE

In Battle.Net, go on the WoW tab and just above the Play Now button, a drop down box labelled version has appeared.

Select 'World of Warcraft Classic' and Install!

It's only a couple of GB, so must use a lot of the libraries from retail WoW (as it's now being called, oddly).

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So to get myself in the mood been leveling in BFA, while I love my shammy it's been a bore fest. I hope the paly is more fun

14. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Same here i've mained a shammy since wotlk and it's a pretty empty class now unfortunately.

I've been playing on the warmane WOTLK private server whilst I wait for classic and i've rolled a mage which i'm really enjoying so I imagine i'll be maining one come classic.

15. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Just played a couple hours of the Classic tonight for the final stress test. Felt just like it did all those years ago :) and thats a good thing.

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I did on Monday too. Felt absolutely amazing! Had the same sense of scale and the mobs were as daunting as they used to be. Taking two on, no problem but three required a bit of careful consideration.

Cannot wait for the end of the month now.

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Ahh the find memories of killing boars and skinning for scraps!

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

My next question is which profs are going to be the money spinners? If it's like it was back in the day, enchanting is going to be huge and possibly smithing or skinning. Mining didn't really make any money until they introduced jewelcrafting. Likewise, leatherworking was only really of relevance to rogues and druids so limited customer base.

19. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So the general consensus has been to take skinning to vendor the leathers as a passive income to support getting your mount.

Enchanting works if you are going to be a caster as you will want to get your wand quick, but you will also need to supply greens to DE for the mats.

Mining is about stockpiling, hardcore folks want to mix max, so engineering is one of the end game professions to do that, need metal bars for that!

Personally I have two characters planned for now.

Shaman, who will be LW / Skin, mainly for the income and the ability to craft my own gear.
    Priest, Tailoring / Enchanting. One for gear later and more importantly bags! and Ench for the wands as I level.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Started in 2005. I'm 34 now with own company and commitments and **** I want to get on with. I think anyone in my position is going to burn out pretty quick. They'll realise how difficult it was and how much of a grind it took to level and craft and they'll see everyone who has the time to no-life it and have all their gear and be raiding and then it starts to wind you up.
    As you can see I'm very much still on the fence.... I loved vanilla WoW back then but I can't see it fitting in to this life now.