1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Nintendo Newbie Searches for Game Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by m0o0oeh, 20 Aug 2019.

1. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

As above really. I picked up a Switch last night, but at the moment I only have Pokemon: Eevee. Any recommendations for some games? Call of the Wild and Smash Bros is a definite on payday, but I have a 30 quid voucher for the e-store. Any must-play exclusives?

Let me know your opinions peeps

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If you enjoy Mario games then Mario Maker 2 & Mario Odyssey would be good choices to pick up.
    Owlboy is a pretty fun platforming game.
    Cadence of Hyrule is possibly the most infuriating but highly fun game on the Switch I've ever played.

Also heard good things about Fire Emblem: Three Houses, that's probably next on my list to pick up.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I don't have any specific exclusives that are must-haves but always check out the store and filter by 'software with a demo available'. Lots and lots of things to try in there! My Switch is mainly my middle-of-the-night anti-anxiety cure, so I only really have Stardew Valley, Color Zen and a bunch of demos of puzzle games on it!

m0o0oeh likes this.
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not exclusive, but fun to play:
    - Katamari Damacy Reroll
    - Spyro (when it releases in two weeks)
    - Lumines Remastered

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Congratulations on acquiring another piece of plastic you will inevitably end up playing Stardew Valley on:naughty:

As for other stuff to get:
    Zelda Breath of the Wild
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Hyrule Warriors
    Splatoon 2
    Bayonetta 2
    New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
    Octopath Traveller
    Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy

(some of it available outside of the Swtich)

Hex likes this.
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I liked stardew valley a lot. Final fantasy vii and ix, looking forward to VIII! I like DOOM, because DOOM, I found myself enjoying Daemon X Machina, but that's only in demo flavour for now.

Neverwinter Nights is coming later this year, if that appeals to you.

I tried Real Politik, but on a switch the control scheme seems too arseachy to really bother with it again.

My switch playing friends rave about dead cells, Splatoon something or other, and Zelda, but I've not played any of them.

If you want Pikachu exclusive Pokémon let me know and I can go rustle some up!

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Bought a switch for my daughter a while back but since Darkest Dungeon was ported over, I have enjoyed the switches mobile format compared to its original PC release.
    I think indie titles and 1st party exclusives seem to shine on the Switch.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle was a hell of a lot more fun than I thought a turn based strategy/battle game could be.

9. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Thanks for the recommendations guys, Breath of the Wild is on the list for payday, as is Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball. Stardew Valley will be happening tonight. Once I find my friend code, I'll post it up here if you want to add me.

That would be sweet, I'd offer the same for Eevee, but I've literally only just started. When I find it, I'll PM you with my friend code.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2019
    Hex likes this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The trading in Let's Go doesn't use the friends list as far as I can tell! Merely a pokemon code that you both enter. Kind of primitive, but it works.

Edit: Exclusives gathered (including the Alolan versions)! Let me know when you want to trade 'em. I've already had all the Eevee exclusives, so whatever's easiest and cheapest to catch. I've got nine 'cause there's regular versions and alolan versions of Sandshrew and Grimer.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2019
    m0o0oeh likes this.
  11. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

That seems to be the consensus on this, though I've not picked it up yet.

Exclusives (some were on Wii U as well): Splatoon, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I've also heard good things about Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.
    Non-exclusives: Celeste, Hollow knight, Dead Cells, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't know if I can agree with that since like 90% of the games value is in the mods you can't get on the Swtich, plus Bethesda was too lazy to patch several well known bugs that date back to the original launch...

13. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

90% might be an exaggeration. The game with expansions is still pretty great, and it (along with Dragons Dogma) are the only real open-world games until the Witcher 3 comes out other than BoTW hence my mentioning it. Certainly not the definitive experience of Skyrim, but it's pretty great on the go if you're aware of what you're missing out on.

As a broader point, I'd say that this is true of a lot of games that are on PC and Switch (or any console); why bother buying Torchlight 2 without Synergy Mod, Civ 6 without custom maps, Stardew Valley, Minecraft(!)

14. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I've never played Stardew Valley, but have watched plenty of ASMR Lets Play's of it. And I like vanilla Minecraft, so I daresay I'll pick it up for the Switch.

My current list is as follows:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild

Splatoon 2

Skyrim

LA Noire

Doom

Trials Rising

Wolfenstein 2

World Ends With You

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If you haven't already played it then Rogue Legacy is available in Switch and is brilliant fun. Play it with a controller though - you may find yourself wanting to toss something across the room, and controllers are a lot cheaper to replace than the Switch :thumb:

Other than that I think the others here have pretty much covered everything I'd have recommended. I don't really have many games on the Switch though and most of them I already owned on other platforms.