1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Intel HD 4600 vs Crossfire Radeon HD 8490 vs 1 8490

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 0ddity, 17 Aug 2019.

1. 0ddity

0ddity What's a Dremel?

Just recently bought a Dell Optiplex 9020mt with an i7 4770 to replace my aging C2D T9400. It came with 2 Radeon HD 8490s in crossfire. Is running these crappy cards in crossfire going to hurt performance vs just one, or is the onboard 4600 better than either of those options? Mostly for watching HD content and playing games from 05-15.

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For HD content the iGPU would be more than suffient. When it comes to gaming it might be worth running some benchmarks to see how the GPU's actually perform. My guess is somewhere between not great and worse than not great. A single 8490 would probably be fine for older games but it might be worth chucking something like a 750Ti / 960 in it to properly playing anything newer (note - those cards are just examples I could think of right now and should be relatively cheap at CeX or similar).

0ddity likes this.
  3. 0ddity

0ddity What's a Dremel?

I figured I might have to just bench each configuration to see, but was hoping I could get away with just advice. I can't test just the 4600 because it's only vga and my monitor is dp/hdmi. I'll have to get a vga to dp to actually use it, and wanted to see if it was worth it before I spent money on an adapter. I'm not too worried about maximizing performance with a new GPU. Relative to what I've been using the last 7 years, it's going to blow it away, regardless of configuration. Just want to get the best performance with what I have. GPU is on the horizon, but I just blew all my money digging myself out of the c2d generation of hardware. I think I did pretty well for what I spent, but there's definitely room for improvement.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+8490&id=2841

Exactly the comparison you want. The HD4600 looks to be twice as good as a single card. I litterally can't find any information on crossfired ones, probably due to it being not a very good solution. Looking at it just using the HD4600 would probably perform the same/better, not be driver dependant and not suffer with draw backs like micro-stuttering associated with multi-GPU solutions. On top of this those two card are using power and producing heat for basically no gain. My advice, grab an adapter, give it a test, if its not as good return the adapter (use someone like amazon).

0ddity likes this.
  5. 0ddity

0ddity What's a Dremel?

That's helpful, thanks. I noticed no difference in performance in game with crossfire enabled or disabled, so I'll grab an adapter and give the 4600 a shot. I tried CS:GO, BF: Bad Company 2,Torchlight 2 and Call of Duty 2.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Be sure to let us know as this thread is on the first page of results when you google it :p

0ddity likes this.
  7. 0ddity

0ddity What's a Dremel?

Well, I did some informal tests with all three configurations. There was virtually no difference between 1 or 2 of the 8490s, so I won't include crossfire after this. In most benchmarks and real world gaming, the Intel HD 4600 outperformed the Radeon 8490. However, there's a *. The * is that some games experience artifacting with the HD 4600. CSGO and BFBC2 had black patches in the menus and in game. I decided that picking between **** and turds wasn't viable, so I bought a used AMD r7 260x for $45CAD. Haven't tested it in my i7 PC yet, but in my C2D desktop it played games better than the i7 with either of the other cards.

Bloody_Pete likes this.